View Poll Results: Truck versus SUV
Four Door Truck 65 59.63%
SUV 44 40.37%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-07-2007, 10:07 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1999 Prostar 205, LTR, Green/Tan
Truck versus SUV as a tow vehicle

I have been a member for a while now but haven't posted. I have read through most of the recent threads and haven't seen this question posed. I am debating on a new tow vehicle and I am curious what everyone's opinion is with regards to a four door truck versus an SUV. I am sure this will be a can of worms, but I am up for the debate. I have a two door truck now (Silverado 2500) and need room for the family. I am leaning towards a Tahoe, Durango or Toyota Sequoia. Let the debate begin
Old 05-07-2007, 10:17 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft, Prostar 205, 1994, LT1
Go with an Avalanche! They have lots of room, a waterproof cargo area, tow great, and lots of room for kids or adults in the back seat.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:32 AM
MC Addict

Boat: 1982 Skier19, Powerslot, 351PCM
I vote 4 door truck.

Slight threadjack.....
Maybe someone can explain to me the attraction of a Avalanche over a typical 4 door truck. I know the obvious (the back of the cab opens up), but as I see it that as more of a gimmick and not all that useful.

To me a 4 door pickup with a tonneau cover or a cap seems to be the best way to go.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:34 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 Prostar 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy08bud
Go with an Avalanche! They have lots of room, a waterproof cargo area, tow great, and lots of room for kids or adults in the back seat.
What he said. Go with the SUT. I came out of an extended cab truck and would not go back. Best of both worlds with the Avy.

1997 Prostar 190, TBI 350, 1:1, OJ XMP 13 x 11.5, Stargazer, Hot Shower, Heated Drivers Seat, Reuben/Mountain Rock/Nite Navy

Old 05-07-2007, 10:41 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft, Prostar 205, 1994, LT1
I'd say that they are not so much of a gimmick, Chevy is on their second body style and seem to be selling pretty well. I know that it is a mater of preference, but it is what works best for me. I'd say that if you need a vehicle to tow with but need space to carry people, but may also have the occasion to need or use a truck bed, then go with the Avalanche. If you are someone who would use the bed of the truck all of the time, or more than a couple of times a week or more, then go with a 4 door truck.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:42 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 Prostar 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by ski_king
I vote 4 door truck.

Slight threadjack.....
Maybe someone can explain to me the attraction of a Avalanche over a typical 4 door truck. I know the obvious (the back of the cab opens up), but as I see it that as more of a gimmick and not all that useful.

To me a 4 door pickup with a tonneau cover or a cap seems to be the best way to go.
I'll try and explain. First thing is that with the midgate closed the bed is the same length as the short bed 1500 crew cabs at about 5'6". So basicly if you never even mess with the midgate you have the same hauling capacity as the crew cab. Second is that you have the cargo covers over that area. So the 99% of the time that I am not hauling large items that require the removal of the covers I have a huge waterproof, lockable trunk.

Now I decide to go down to the local Home Depot to pick up some drywall or 2x4s or plywood or all three. I check out roll my supplies out of the store just as a thunderstorm lets loose. In that crew cab truck you are scrambling for a tarp and rope to tie down with, have to fold down the tailgate and still have 1 ft of material hanging out the back. With my Avy I flip the rear seats and midgate down slide everything in and close the tailgate. Everything stays nice and dry inside.

Also in the everyday driving the Avy rides and drives much nicer than the truck. Has a little added weight in the back so you don't get that light rear end that you do with the truck.

As said above if you are hauling large items (that stick above the bed rails) multiple times a week then a crew cab truck is probably a better choice. If not then I think the Avy gives a lot more versitility and is a much better choice.

1997 Prostar 190, TBI 350, 1:1, OJ XMP 13 x 11.5, Stargazer, Hot Shower, Heated Drivers Seat, Reuben/Mountain Rock/Nite Navy

Last edited by BrianM; 05-07-2007 at 10:45 AM.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:45 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: MC Prostar 190, '93, Stars N Stripes
Send a message via Yahoo to betsy&david Harrison
We have done both. A Sequoia and now a 4-door truck (2500) with a bed cover. If you have kids, the SUV is a nice way to go because of the room but we have found that now they are older, the truck is a much better choice. It tows much better and all the toys fit in the bed. Just my
Old 05-07-2007, 10:48 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2007 X1
I'd love to go for a 4 door truck - less $ and all the same goodies. But since the tow vehicle will be my wife's daily driver as long as I have a co car. Since she prefers SUVs that's what we have.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:56 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2003 X30 MCX - SOLD
I was going to go with the 4 door truck for the only reason that they are cheaper than the full size SUV. I found a killer deal on an Excursion, and bought it within 2 days of when I found it. If you are coming from an SUV, you'll never be as happy with a truck, but I think the same would hold true the other way. Just what you are used to and use the vehicle for.
Old 05-07-2007, 11:00 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 24????
We just got rid of the 99 Yukon and picked up a 07 Chevy Duramax 4X4 crew cab...
Sometimes when I reflect on all the beer I drink, I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn't drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered.
-- Babe Ruth