Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Appearance

Old 05-03-2007, 03:14 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2001 Prostar 205V
What to clean/polish Aluminum pontoons?

Hi guys,

I have a pontoon boat that has a lot of stains on the pontoons. I would like to really clean/shine it up.

Does anyone have any sugggestions?

p.s. It's an old pontoon boat so spending the least amount of money on this is a key requirement.

thanks,
beatle78
Old 05-03-2007, 04:31 PM
MC Hero

Boat: Gone
Quote:
Originally Posted by beatle78
Hi guys,

I have a pontoon boat that has a lot of stains on the pontoons. I would like to really clean/shine it up.

Does anyone have any sugggestions?

p.s. It's an old pontoon boat so spending the least amount of money on this is a key requirement.

thanks,
beatle78

Tarnite is the best I've found, but anything that big, use a buffer too, about $4.25 a can, how many can will you need, I dunno! Ace Hardware carries it or can order it!

Quote: 2RLAKE,
At some point in time people need to wake up, remove their cranial intrusion into their own rectal areas, and take responsibility for their own actions.

Last edited by TMCNo1; 07-28-2007 at 09:30 PM.
Old 05-03-2007, 05:20 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: MC Prostar 190, '93, Stars N Stripes
Send a message via Yahoo to betsy&david Harrison
Not sure if this is the spelling..it is a product that you can buy at the store...KleanKing. Works really well.
Old 05-03-2007, 05:22 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1992 Prostar 205 w/351 H.O. 4 Blade CNC Acme
I thought StarBrite had a product called ToonBrite but I cant seem to find on their website. Harold?

"The only reason people get lost in thought is because it is unfamiliar territory."
Old 05-03-2007, 05:38 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
And if none of that works, you could go to town on it with some Magic Eraser.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 05-04-2007, 04:05 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2001 Maristar 210VRS, LTR 330HP, ZeroFlex Tower, KGB Ballast, PerfectPass Wakeboard Pro,
I would think starting with a scotchbrite pad or wetsanding might be a good start. Then polish it out with rubbing compound and then seal it with a topcoat sealer of some type.

Just my $.02
Old 05-04-2007, 04:45 PM
MC Hero

[quote=wakescene]I would think starting with a scotchbrite pad or wetsanding might be a good start. Then polish it out with rubbing compound and then seal it with a topcoat sealer of some type.

Just my $.02[/QUOTE}

If you want to go to NewYork via Los Angeles from Florida!

At some point in time people need to wake up, remove their cranial intrusion into their own rectal areas, and take responsibility for their own actions.

Old 05-07-2007, 02:34 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2001 Maristar 210VRS, LTR 330HP, ZeroFlex Tower, KGB Ballast, PerfectPass Wakeboard Pro,
TMCNo1....What was the point of that little jab? My first sentence explains a solution that is cheaper and more effective then ANY suggestion so far...including yours! A scotchbrite pad can be bought at nearly any supermarket in the country for less then $2.00 for multiple pads, and it cleans up aluminum, stainless steel, porcelean and other hardware very quickly and easily.

Heck instead of the scotchbrite pad, why not a bottle of Castrol Superclean and a stiff brush. I have yet to find a stain so stubborn that this product won't get it clean...and I have found gallon bottles for sale for less than $4.25.
Old 05-07-2007, 02:39 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: MC Prostar 190, '93, Stars N Stripes
Send a message via Yahoo to betsy&david Harrison
KleenKing is cheap too and it really works..not to much elbow grease either. Try it...you'll like it!!
Old 05-07-2007, 03:43 PM
MC Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakescene
TMCNo1....What was the point of that little jab? My first sentence explains a solution that is cheaper and more effective then ANY suggestion so far...including yours! A scotchbrite pad can be bought at nearly any supermarket in the country for less then $2.00 for multiple pads, and it cleans up aluminum, stainless steel, porcelean and other hardware very quickly and easily.

Heck instead of the scotchbrite pad, why not a bottle of Castrol Superclean and a stiff brush. I have yet to find a stain so stubborn that this product won't get it clean...and I have found gallon bottles for sale for less than $4.25.

Wasn't a jab, just been there and done that and the results are the same with less $ and time, and effort, sorry if I offended you.

Last edited by TMCNo1; 05-07-2007 at 03:50 PM.