Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Underwater Running Gear

Old 04-30-2007, 09:56 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2006 Prostar 197 MCX
Bent Prop

I took my boat out yesterday and before I put it in I noticed that all four prop blades were slightly dog eared. I did not notice any vibration. I do not remember ever hitting anything. My first thought was that I did it taking it out of the water on the trailer since I have been having trouble with shallow boat ramps. However after thinking about it I am not sure if this would be possible with the trailer under the boat in the water. Maybe it gets at a wierd angle or something. Anyway from now on I am just going tho winch it on the trailer. I have never taken the prop off does anyone know what size the nut is and is it left or right hand threads ?
Attached Images

Old 04-30-2007, 10:08 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: ProStar 197 2004
I done that to my prop the first time out. I let the boat get a little to far to one side and hit the side rail of the prop guard. The reason mine done it was I put the trailer to deep on a steep ramp. I was able to get it fixed for $85.

I think the nut is a one inch. A trick I did learn after you get the nut off take a RUBBER hammer and tap it on the back side and it will pop right off. Make sure you are ready to catch it when you hit it or it will be on the ground.
Old 04-30-2007, 12:21 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2005 MasterCraft ProStar 197, MCX
The shaft does not have reverse-threads...you're good to go if you turn the nut counter-clockwise. I'd back off the nut several turns (but do not take all the way off) then tap the back of the prop with rubber mallet as mentioned - the nut will "catch" the prop and prevent it from falling on the garage floor.
Old 04-30-2007, 12:53 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 98 Prostar 190 Stars & Stripes, LT1
Looking at the angle of the blades on your prop I think your prop nut may loosen if you turn it clockwise. Since I am in disagreement with other posts you could look at the threads on the prop shaft. The direction they are cut will show you which way to turn the nut to loosen it.

Also, I have found that an impact gun makes short work of removing the nut. If that tool is not available you could also use a block of wood wedged between the hull and one of the prop blades to hold everything still while you loosen. Once the nut is loose don't remove it just yet, leave it on just a few threads so the prop dosen't fall off when you start tapping it with your rubber mallet. When the prop starts to slide down the shaft it will come in contact with the nut again. Then you can remove the nut and prop.

A seldom used tool but well worth the investment is the prop puller...
SPARK PLUGS: AC Delco MR43LTS (gapped to .040")
FUEL FILTERS: AC Delco 25171391 (pump inlet side)
89058397 (pump outlet side)
IGNITION WIRES: Call Inboard Online @ (877) 327-7175 and order part numbers 556010A (odd bank) and 556010B (even bank)
Old 04-30-2007, 02:53 PM
TT Regular

It was a standard thread. Turn left to loosen. Just used my foot to hold the prop. The size is somewhere between a 1 " and 1 1/4 ". So I used the handy adjustable wrench ! The rubber hammer trick worked great.
Old 04-30-2007, 03:12 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: ProStar 197 2004
I think the torque on that nut is only about 70-80 Ft/Lbs.
Could you see if hit the trailer or do you think there was something in the water.
Old 04-30-2007, 03:35 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2001 Prostar 209
Actually, I'm pretty sure the torque on the nut is 30-35 ft-lbs.
Old 04-30-2007, 04:54 PM
MC Hero

Boat: Gone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkelly
I done that to my prop the first time out. I let the boat get a little to far to one side and hit the side rail of the prop guard. The reason mine done it was I put the trailer to deep on a steep ramp. I was able to get it fixed for $85.

I think the nut is a one inch. A trick I did learn after you get the nut off take a RUBBER hammer and tap it on the back side and it will pop right off. Make sure you are ready to catch it when you hit it or it will be on the ground.
Back the nut off a few rounds but don't take it off, and when the prop pops off either with a hammer, puller, heat or all of the above, the prop won't fall off but will rest against the nut till you take the nut the rest of the way off, then just slide to prop off the shaft with no damage/noise or injury to anything. A gouged/torn prop will eat you alive if it falls off the shaft and bounces around out of control. We don't want anyone coming on here telling us a prop cut their wrist open, I've seen it happen! No, it wasn't me!

Quote: 2RLAKE,
At some point in time people need to wake up, remove their cranial intrusion into their own rectal areas, and take responsibility for their own actions.

Old 05-02-2007, 12:16 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2013 Mastercraft X-25 with the awesome 6.2
You can look at the prop guard on the trailer and instantly know if you hit it or someting else. Do you have a chip on the upper edge of the right guard? If so, you hit the trailer. Don't ask how I know.

2013 X-25 - Love it!
2007 X-15 - Sadly no longer mine
Old 05-02-2007, 12:57 PM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewheat
You can look at the prop guard on the trailer and instantly know if you hit it or someting else. Do you have a chip on the upper edge of the right guard? If so, you hit the trailer. Don't ask how I know.
Thanks, when I make it back to the garage with the prop, I will check that. $ 150.00 for the repair.