Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Wakeboarding & Wakeskating

Old 04-27-2007, 12:46 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1976 Mastercraft Stars & Stripes 351W
Wakesurf vs. Wakeskate.

I'm thinking of breaking tradition and trying wakesurfing or wakeskating. Can anyone help me decide which would be best for me? I've never wakeboarded, only slalom...I did surf in college, but that was almost 20 years ago

They look pretty similar. If I had to make a guess, I'd say that wakesurfing is probably easier since the boards are larger...

I'd also like to know if you think my '76 would throw enough wake to even do this. With the exception of passengers, I don't have any extra weight in the boat.

TIA.

J.

Our '76 Stars & Stripes

Canis meus id comedit
Old 04-27-2007, 12:54 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1998 ProStar 205 Sammy Edition
We bought a skate and a surf board this year, we are just getting started but so far the kids like the surfer ALOT more. I think you would be able to surf behind any inboard, you just have to learn how to load it up(which is something I have not learned yet) This is my wake with about 400 lbs on one side and 3 kids.
Attached Images

Jeff
Blue Skies and Soft Landings
2005 X-Star LQ9 with closed cooling
1998 PS205 Sammy W/Monster Tower SOLD
Old 04-27-2007, 12:55 PM
MC Fanatic

Another.....I just posted these on another thread

Jeff
Old 04-27-2007, 01:00 PM
MC Fanatic

and then forgot the photo

Wake surfing doesn't make you very popular in your ski area, the wake is quite large. We go way down river where there are no houses or boats
Attached Images

Jeff
Old 04-27-2007, 01:07 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Med Blue 2012 X2, Illmor 5.7
Send a message via MSN to dpolen
Wakesurfing is a lot of fun and SUPER easy. Obviously, the bigger the wake, the more fun it is. I have yet to try wakeskating, but I bet its a blast (looks tough to do). I have used my wakesurf board behind a prostar 190 with no ballast, it was fun, but nowhere as cool as doing behind my Maristar just because of the size of the wake. Just my 2 cents.

He who dies with the most toys wins...I'm losing right now!!!
Old 04-27-2007, 02:19 PM
Leroy

I bought a wakeskate last summer and it is fun and the falls don't hurt like they do with a wakeboard. I did the wakesurf at mag mania I and also loved it. I think the wakeskate will be fun to do more often, but the wakesurf is great when you are tired.
Old 04-27-2007, 06:40 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 06 197 1.26:1 MCX (Gone but not forgotten)
my brother has a pretty good story about trying to teach our brother in law to wakeskate ... wakeskating is coniderably harder IMO it is like skateboarding behind a car with a rope (I am not endorsing that either) ... but at least when you catch an edge on the wakeskate the falls do not hurt like they do on a wakeboard ... however, we have yet to teach someone to wakeskate w/o first teaching them to wakeboard ... and no, beer does not help you learn to wakeskate ... getting up is probably the hardest part ... it is fun as a novelty, but at 30 I feel like it has passed me by - give me my one stick and I'm sasstified! The great part about wakeskating is you dont need a boat with a big wake, and you can do it behind an inboard or an I/O. Wakesurfing requires an inboard with a good wake, so you have to have the correct setup.
Old 04-27-2007, 06:50 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1996 Prostar 190, 350 EFI, PP, 13th Floor Tower
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leroy
I bought a wakeskate last summer and it is fun and the falls don't hurt like they do with a wakeboard. I did the wakesurf at mag mania I and also loved it. I think the wakeskate will be fun to do more often, but the wakesurf is great when you are tired.
The trick is to know how to fall on a wakeskate. You can snap your leg bones a lot easier on a wakeskate than a wakeboard, from what I have SEEN!
Old 04-27-2007, 09:45 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 01 X-Star
I am a wakeskater that plays on the surfboard when I need a break. They do both have some similarities. On your boat, while you can get a nice wake, it will be difficult to get a great wake safely. With a very low freeboard, a top notch surf wake can easily wash back into the boat when you come off plane if you are not careful. The bigger boards are easier for beginners and smaller wakes, but are harder to do advanced tricks with (i.e. shuv-its, airs, spins). It is a much easier impact sport than wakeskating though, the speeds are 10mph +/-. On the flip side, your boat is ideal for wakeskating. You really need no ballast or tower, even for advanced wake moves, and especially for skate specific moves. The speeds are 18-23 depending on rider size and experience, and the falls can be brutal, but not usually. You can at least fall away from the board, unlike wakeboarding.

I suggest buying a wakeskate, and try demoing/borrowing some surfboards to try that out. You can wakeskate behind anybody's / any kind of boat, you can not with a wakesurfer.
Old 05-01-2007, 10:21 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2006 yellow X10, MCX
We have a wakeskate, non of us are any good at it. It is a bit more difficult IMO than a surf board. Each has advantages and dis advantages. With your boat, no tower and no extra weight a wakeskate is perfect for you. They do take some getting used to and learning the tricks is harder than on a wakeboard IMO. If you get a wakeskate, I recommend getting some shoes to wear on the board. The worst fall I've taken off the wakeskate involved hitting my toes on the board, hurt like a SOB.

Wakesurfing is cool too, totally different than the wakeskate. You'll need to get some extra weight for the surf board. You need to weight down one side of the boat to get your wake to curl over so you'll be able to ride without the rope. I've never seen anyone pull any sort of trick with the surf board, the most I've seen is people be able to stay in the sweet spot and just ride it. Mag has a trick in which someone passes him a beer and he drinks it while surfing, that is the only trick I've seen done. It would seem to me, I'd get bored just riding once I got it figured out.