Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Electrical

Old 01-26-2005, 03:07 PM
TT Enthusiast

What size fuses

Went to check my fuses over the weekend and broke two of them off in the holders. Does anyone know what size the ign. fuse and the anchor light fuses are?I'm guessing a 20 amp and a 10 amp.I can't get them out of the fuse holders. Thanks
'85ss
Old 01-26-2005, 03:14 PM
MC Master Poster

If you can't get them out, you'll be replacing the fuse holders. In that case, you may as well disconnect the battery and break the fuse holders, replacing them one-by-one, and look at the ends that are stuck. They'll have the rating on them. The Main fuse is usually 30 amp, most others are 15 amp.

Otherwise, go to Sears or other hardware store and buy a long, skinny needle nose pliers and use that to get the caps out.
Old 01-26-2005, 03:27 PM
TT Enthusiast

Thanks Jimn

I already broke all the fuses apart. I just had two that were completly gone. I can't even dig them out of the holders( to much corrosion),so I could'nt read the fuses ,the fuse holders are garbage now.No big deal McMaster-carr has the same type of fuse holders for about $3.00 My Nav. light fuse was a 10 amp so I assumed the anchor light would be the same.By the way Jimn the fuse holders in my boat have a rating of 15 amps sounds like some of my fuses are a higher amprage than the holders are rated for. Thanks again

Last edited by Brn85ss; 01-26-2005 at 03:32 PM.
Old 01-26-2005, 03:31 PM
MC Master Poster

10 amp should be about right. The main is bigger, the ignition may be 20 amp, as you mentioned. Are the replacement fuse holders water-resistant? I would try to find some that are. Put some silicone grease(dielectric grease) on the fuses when you put them in for the first time and if you need to replace any of them.
Old 02-13-2005, 12:24 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2004 MC ProStar 197 MCX
Send a message via AIM to BarefootWt
What I do every fall as part of my storage checklist is rotate and pull each fuse out of it's socket and clean any corrosion off. I also lubricate them before putting them back in. I learned this the hard way by breaking one off but was able to get the cap out with needle nose plyers (but could not read the size at that point). If you have to guess on the size (I would suggest a call to your dealer first) you should error on the low size and let them blow vs putting in one that is too big that could cause wiring or other damage. Good luck.
Old 02-13-2005, 05:15 PM
TT Enthusiast

The dealer is no help on this item,I was hoping someone with a s/s would take a peek at their fuses and let me know what sizesthe fuses are.The fuse holder corrosion was before my time.
Old 05-17-2006, 01:08 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1
Anyone have the info on this.... I need the same info. I replaced my entire dash, along with the fuse holders and switches... Now I donít remember where I put the old fuses... What are the amp ratings?

Bilge?
Blower?
Stern light
Bow light?
Anything else?
Old 05-17-2006, 11:39 AM
TT Enthusiast

Ign.-20 amp fuse

blower-6 amp

horn-10 amp

bilge-this will vary on the size of the pump I put a new mayfair in this year and it takes a 2 amp fuse.

nav light-10 amps

Anchor light-10 amps

Hope this helps you out!
Old 05-17-2006, 12:47 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1
Thanks Alot!!!!
Old 07-30-2010, 11:44 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft Skier,Blue/Baige 1985, 351, Powerslot, all original, custom tandem, no bimini or tower
I just broke off a four fuses while doing an electrical inspection and spent a 1/2 hour on one cap before I found this trick. I found a great way to remove the cap if it gets stuck. Take the cap and set in on a level surface and hold it with a pair of Channel Locks. Use a 17/64th drill bit which will go into the metal cap and hit the fuse cap inside. As you drill the cap will spin free and stick to the sharp edge of the bit. Pull it out and your set. Locktight purple battery terminal spray works great to keep it from happening again.

Thanks for the fuse size!