Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Wakeboarding & Wakeskating

Old 04-21-2007, 07:50 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1989 Mastercraft Tristar 190
Wake board? Which one?

Would like to do a little wake boarding, but don't want to pay a fortune for something I may not like. Who makes a decent beginners board at a reasonable price? I know nothing about wake boarding. Any input woud be appriciated. Thanks in advance...Charlie.
Old 04-21-2007, 09:12 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2007 X star PWT
You may have better luck at the wakeworld site regarding the best beginner board. If you have a proshop near you they should let you demo one before you buy it. CWB makes some great beginner boards as do many others.
Old 04-22-2007, 01:25 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 06 X-30 MCX
We started with a CWB Sol. It was a great board to learn on. Everyone outgrew it but we still keep it for when others come with. All of the major manufacturers make beginner boards. If there is a shop near you your best bet would be to spend some time with them and demo if possible.

Why yes I do love a rampy wake with a firm lip. Thanks for asking.
Old 04-25-2007, 12:54 AM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft, X-Star, 2005, LQ9 (385 HP), blue and white
package deal

For a beginner board get a package deal. I started wtih a Hyperlite Motive 136 back in 2004 and still have it for my friends. You should be able to pick one up with bindings for $300. Try wakeside.com, they have super fast order times and no sales tax.
Old 04-25-2007, 01:14 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 06 197 1.26:1 MCX (Gone but not forgotten)
as previously mentioned ... the wakeworld guys are pretty good with telling you about the various boards ... however, you may be able to get a slightly used one from someone for a great deal ... I know my brother always seems to get upgrading and some of his old boards just sit around to gather dust, I imagine there are some local guys near you who might have something you could try and/or buy for a large discount (60-75% off retail)... I am a terrible wakeboarder, so I still ride a beginner board and I couldn't even tell you the name of it ... its an older hyperlite ... good luck.
Old 04-26-2007, 06:28 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: between boats
There are a lot of great beginner to intermediate wakeboards available now. Personally we've had great responses to the Hyperlite Motive Series and the Liquid Force Omegas. Both come with an adjustable binding so they fit a bunch of sizes. If you are not sharing the board all that often I would recommend upgrading the bindings as the bindings are (in my mind) the most important part of your set up.
Old 05-01-2007, 09:06 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2006 yellow X10, MCX
I agree with Corey on the bindings being the most important part of the package. Make sure they fit and they should fit snug, you don't want to be able to lift your heal off the pad of the binding. The only other thing is make sure you buy a board that fits you. Make sure it's length is for your height and weight. I started with a board that was too long for me, I've since gotten a shorter board and my riding as improved.