Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Tow Vehicles

Old 11-24-2005, 10:46 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: What ever floats your.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by redmike
well, my cummins had 200k on it when I put exhaust/k&n/new turbine/new (bigger)injectors in it, and haven't had problem one with it. Did it all myself, only complaint after 50k is that it smokes some when cold, and smokes quite a bit when you are getting on it in 3rd/4th, (but I don't have to smell it!). Mileage stayed where it was, and driving it is like night or day, hauls boat with camper like it used to accelerate empty....hope this is what you were looking for!
So you have 250K on it now? What exhaust did you go with? I like Banks system, but probably because it is the most well known in these parts. One of the guys bought a new '05 F250, with about 500 miles on it put on the 6gun kit with everything but turbo. I was impressed with the difference, but I don't want issues along the way.
I have been reading into some trans shops that will rebuild my trans and do what is needed to support the upgrade. I assure you, when I do it, the trans is being removed and sent out as the first step. I am not convinced yet I want to make the move. I love the truck the way it is. It could sit on some 35's and Id be much happier.
I know of someone that can't brag enough about the bullydog set up. He dumped about $2000.00 into it, and blows the doors off the one with the $9000.00 banks kit.
Again, I hear all these guys and their monster power, but how what are they fixing after 100K? Or do they move on and let someone else deal with it?
Old 11-24-2005, 01:06 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1988 prostar 190
wft:
My exauhst was custom built by me and my friend who happens to own an exhaust shop, so can't help you there.
I have a friend that put the banks kit on his pstroke about 6 months prior to me doing the cummins; it impressed me, and hasn't had any problems that I know of (due to the kit). He had the chip added to the tranny, and has been happy. That being said, Banks makes great stuff, but you pay a great price for it, Bully Dog, or BD has the same quality parts, you just don't have to get the kit/ pay the top price. He wishes he had done the mods like I did, and saved $1000.
As for the tranny, I have the 5 speed, so I didn't have to worry, but when I bought my injectors/turbo, the guys at BD (great stuff, great people to work with http://www.bd-power.com/).
Old 11-24-2005, 02:10 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2005 Prostar 197 / MCX
wow I like this thread!
you all know I'm a bowtie fan so this is biased, but with experience to back it

I've run the IFS 4x4 gm trucks for 100k miles each since the inception of the IFS.
Never had a torsion bar fail, break or otherwise. Sag? Maybe they did, but no more or less than the rear leafs or any other style of OEM front drive. Ride like a car? Well, I've riden in cars when forced to, and no my truck doesn't ride like a car by any means(it might be nice if it did).

I actually don't like the rake that GM's designers like so it is really nice to be able to remove it with a few turns of the torsion adjustments when you get home to remove the dealer tag from the tailgate.

When I was a kid I had a few solid front axle 4x4 and they are easy to lift but other than that, you can have them when it comes to ride, control and offroad characteristics.

Brother is on his third f'd 4x4 2500 crew deisel
Rides like a brick, turns like my old 80's 4x4 blazer and wears the tires funny.
His current f'd is lifted and the springs, bearings and linkage has been replaced at ~100k miles
Diesels are supposed to have an advantage over the long haul (which I'd not benefit from) but the f'd trucks I know wear everything out, brakes, bearings, steering etc... looong before the powerstroke has neared it's half-life, so what's the point? just to make noise when you drive up to the ball field?

I think it's fair what someone mentioned earlier that the market isn't really centered around a real offroad truck

I always buy 4x4, (good to have it and not need it) most of us dont go spend 40k on a truck and go rockbusting with it on sunday.

I think a larger majority of truck owners, buy for appearance and appeal where group 2 would be looking for towing and hauling, and group 3 would look for liftable offroad characteristics.
Honestly, a jeep would be best for hunting Colorado but I need a crew cab HD truck to get all my crap there!!
These new supercrew f'd and z71 crews look like they are a decent length and a good trade-off (with mods) for offroad and mall-runners.
Old 11-24-2005, 02:30 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: none
As I have said before, I really like our all time 4-wheel drive Grand Cherokee with the 5.2 litre and 6500 lb pull package. It runs sweet, is great in snow and I have not found a slippery ramp that it couldn't deal with.
Old 11-24-2005, 09:08 PM
MC Master Poster

Ric, what do you mean by wears the tires funny. On a lifted truck too?
Old 11-25-2005, 03:46 PM
MC Master Poster

Dedicated to Tow Vehicles.... In Tow.....
I can't wait to hook it back up in a few short months.....
Old 11-28-2005, 07:50 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin' 4 Toys
Ric, what do you mean by wears the tires funny. On a lifted truck too?
His ate up front tires (mainly before the lift). After the lift, they look to be wearing a bit funny but it's hard to say because they are big tires and not comparable to any normal setup, so I figure you give that up when you have a lift.
Old 11-28-2005, 07:51 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin' 4 Toys
Dedicated to Tow Vehicles.... In Tow.....
I can't wait to hook it back up in a few short months.....
Good looking combo!
Old 11-28-2005, 09:46 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric
Good looking combo!
Note: the Cap was off.....
Old 11-28-2005, 10:08 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote: