Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Tow Vehicles

Old 11-23-2005, 07:02 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: MasterCraft
Thanks Diesel. Interesting and informative read.

I like the diesel powered GMC machine.

I don't understand why the manual locking hubs though? :idon'tgetit:

Why would want to get out of a truck to lock a hub? I did that years ago in off-road days. These machines now days are not even to be considered an off-road vehicle.

Hose picture (internal) http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...68&postcount=8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
..Some of you give a whole new meaning to the phrase "another @sshole with a Mastercraft."

RE: Thrall, Welcome to the club....
NEW SKINS in TN... Leading Edge Marine Interior

feedback on a TN company: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=58767

Old 11-23-2005, 07:02 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: What ever floats your.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmer2880
I for one don't like the Chevy's car-like ride, especially in their front end. For me, it's not about being "heavy duty" enough, rather - my wife & I just like the stiffer ride.For the record - I own an '88 Chevy 1500, '99 Burban 1500 & 92 Wrangler. I had to put "add-a-leafs" on both Chevy's to get them to ride non-wimpy.
Jimmer,
I have found myself quoting your signature a few times since the first time I read it. Very cool.

Back on track. Torsion bars are for trailers.
Old 11-23-2005, 07:05 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporty
Thanks Diesel. Interesting read.

I like the diesel powered GMC machine.
Me too, and alot more if it had a straight axle in the front. They are DONE when they put a IRS in them, after seeing them still put IFS in a 1 ton, it would not surprise me they put it out back.
Old 11-23-2005, 07:06 PM
MC Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin' 4 Toys
Back on track. Torsion bars are for trailers.
Not exclusively... Torsion bar is for power generated torque induced motion. Sway bars are for trailers, to control non-torque induce motion.

Interesting thread though...

Quote:
..Some of you give a whole new meaning to the phrase "another @sshole with a Mastercraft."

Old 11-23-2005, 07:11 PM
MC Maniac

Quote:
Me too, and alot more if it had a straight axle in the front. They are DONE when they put a IRS in them, after seeing them still put IFS in a 1 ton, it would not surprise me they put it out back.
I went that straight axle route with a Dodge once. I just wasn't impressed. My first and last Dodge. The 360 CI with the 2:73 drive gear was a joke... But at the time, it's what got them their EPA sticker numbers.

However, I spend a lot of time in a truck and have learned to appreciate the ride control of IFS. Each to their own for specific needs. A straight axle serves an entirely different purpose as opposed to an IFS setup. Straight axles can be used for the install of a locking ring gear, thus a true four wheel drive component. Otherwise 4 X 4 = two axle drive ONLY. One pulling wheel on each axle with limited-slip at best. The is no such thing as a 4-wheel-drive this day and age on a factory install purchase.

Good reading here though W4T. And I still like your Ford machine. They are the nicest looking truck of them all IMHO...

Quote:

Last edited by Cloaked; 11-23-2005 at 07:13 PM.
Old 11-23-2005, 07:26 PM
MC Master Poster

I must say, I am impressed with the suspension and set up of the New Arctic Cat 500 quads. Locked rear end, selectable locker front, and 4 wheel independent suspension, it is the only way to get true 4x4 any more from a factory. Rides nice. Im just glad I don't have to tow with it or drive on the highway. Off road it has that GM plush ride.

Although the LS in my truck works great for added traction. Very limited slip. Ordered it that way. It doesn't like turning a hard corner in 4WD being as long as it is and the LS in the back, makes the front tires curl over. Especially in LOW.
Old 11-23-2005, 07:30 PM
MC Master Poster

Anybody with a Diesel on here ever put an exhaust or any other type of system on there rigs and get any durability out of them. I know people that put kits on, brag about the power and the gains, but get rid of them before I have an opportunity to see the durability behind them.
Old 11-23-2005, 09:28 PM
MC Maniac

Quote:
Anybody with a Diesel on here ever put an exhaust or any other type of system on there rigs and get any durability out of them. I know people that put kits on, brag about the power and the gains, but get rid of them before I have an opportunity to see the durability behind them.
Diesel and jran can chime in here. They both have expanded knowledge on the add-ons.

There are so many hyped gadgets, it's hard to know where to start, but you have the right idea in looking for durability.

One of the weakest links in power upgrade through mods is the tranny. The Allison 1000 series has its limits for durability.

I can recommenrd this site for any and all GM questions and answers. If you don't find it here, you don't need to know...

http://forum.62-65-dieselpage.com/cg...ultimatebb.cgi

Quote:

Old 11-23-2005, 09:41 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1988 prostar 190
Quote:
well, my cummins had 200k on it when I put exhaust/k&n/new turbine/new (bigger)injectors in it, and haven't had problem one with it. Did it all myself, only complaint after 50k is that it smokes some when cold, and smokes quite a bit when you are getting on it in 3rd/4th, (but I don't have to smell it!). Mileage stayed where it was, and driving it is like night or day, hauls boat with camper like it used to accelerate empty....hope this is what you were looking for!
Old 11-23-2005, 10:32 PM
Scott Pierce

Yea, I have a Yukon XL and bsically the same under the body! But only 16.7 MPG great tow vehical though!

CJ

Tags
2008, f150, f350, hybrid, tdi, x2 2008, x45, xstar