Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Tow Vehicles

Old 11-07-2005, 06:01 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: "05",MC,X9,MCX350,Pro tour red
Here's my tow vehicle, next picture will be with the boat on the back!
Old 11-22-2005, 07:59 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: What ever floats your.....
Well, I went and saw the crew cab and a half dodge pickup. I was looking forward to seeing it for a long time. About a year or so since I read about it. Well, to say the least "overrated". Again, they had the chance to impress me and failed. Its not much bigger at all, and no where near big enough to make me switch. I was thinking it would have made me a dodge fan. I like the cummins, just wish they would put them in a Ford... Or if Chevy built a much tougher front suspension in a chevy with a live axle, they would get my money in a second...
Old 11-23-2005, 10:31 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 95 Prostar 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin' 4 Toys
Or if Chevy built a much tougher front suspension in a chevy with a live axle, they would get my money in a second...
I hear this alot and I don't understand it?? What is it about the GM IFS suspension that you do not think is tough?

Unless you are going to the lift the truck does it really matter??
Old 11-23-2005, 01:45 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2004 TT 197/LQ9/Powerslot
Quote:
Well, I went and saw the crew cab and a half dodge pickup. I was looking forward to seeing it for a long time. About a year or so since I read about it. Well, to say the least "overrated". Again, they had the chance to impress me and failed. Its not much bigger at all, and no where near big enough to make me switch. I was thinking it would have made me a dodge fan. I like the cummins, just wish they would put them in a Ford... Or if Chevy built a much tougher front suspension in a chevy with a live axle, they would get my money in a second...

That is surprising to hear that it is not that big. The back half of the cab is so big it looks odd. It would be nice to have reclining seats in the back though. I bought a 2005 Dodge 3500 Quad Cab SRW 4x4 with the Cummins in April(right before the employee pricing ) and I have been very impressed. Having never been a big Dodge fan, I was impressed with the truck on the test drive and bought it. I now have 17,000 miles on it and it seems to pull a lot better than my 2000 Ford F-250 Crew Cab 4x4 with the Powerstroke. The only thing I miss about the Ford was the back seat room. The Dodge is much quieter, pulls better, gets better mileage, and is more comfortable on the road in my opinion. I have not looked at the new Mega Cab for fear that I would want one

16 Mastercrafts and counting
Old 11-23-2005, 03:22 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel
I hear this alot and I don't understand it?? What is it about the GM IFS suspension that you do not think is tough?

Unless you are going to the lift the truck does it really matter??
GM IFS is for Corvettes and other cars. Leave it that way....
Axles, bearings, steering components, differential housing all weak in my perspective. I hate that torsion bar type set up, and to know a twisted piece of bar is all that keeps the entire from of the truck off the ground. Sure it rides like a car, but that is NOT why I buy a truck. THE only thing that keeps me clear out of the GM lots is that entire front end system(when we talk about trucks), If they would put a live axle under it already, give me some beefy hubs and a manual shift lever for it, I would own one or more. And I know as a fact, there would be a line of others to get them too.
I look at the underside and think to myself it might as well be a car, and I wouldn't want to haul anything with one.
Its a good grocery getter.
Old 11-23-2005, 03:34 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datdude
I have not looked at the new Mega Cab for fear that I would want one
I did want one until I went and saw it. Oh well, Back to begging GM to put a coil sprung Dana 60 front axle with manual hubs in the 2500/3500 Duramax. (Yeah, that will happen)
For crying out loud, MAKE IT AN OPTION at least!!!!!
Old 11-23-2005, 05:33 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 95 Prostar 205
Quote:
GM IFS is for Corvettes and other cars. Leave it that way....
Axles, bearings, steering components, differential housing all weak in my perspective. I hate that torsion bar type set up, and to know a twisted piece of bar is all that keeps the entire from of the truck off the ground. Sure it rides like a car, but that is NOT why I buy a truck. THE only thing that keeps me clear out of the GM lots is that entire front end system(when we talk about trucks), If they would put a live axle under it already, give me some beefy hubs and a manual shift lever for it, I would own one or more. And I know as a fact, there would be a line of others to get them too.
I look at the underside and think to myself it might as well be a car, and I wouldn't want to haul anything with one.
Its a good grocery getter.
Okay don't take this the wrong way....................but you have been fed a bunch of misinformation just like the rest of the sheeple that dog the IFS. Most of the components you just listed as drawbacks are very similar (in some cases exactly the same) as what comes on your precious solid axle. I have worked the better part of my life in suspension and drive train repair and I have worked on all makes and models. So let's start with some facts and compare, oh say a dodge and a GM IFS.

Dodge Dana 60 axle diameter 1.31" GM 9.25 IFS Axle diameter 1.31"

Dodge Dana 60 Ring Gear diameter 9.75" GM 9.25 IFS Ring gear diameter 9.25", advantage Dodge

Dodge Dana 60 Housing Ductile Steel GM 9.25 Housing Cast Aluminium, advantage Dodge.

Both axles use a Saginaw style box for steering. GM uses a center link while Dodge/Ford use a crossover drag link with a tie rod. Same amount of tie rod ends to wear out in all trucks, no advantage to either.

Both axles use a unit bearing and no lock out hubs. Actually GM's unit bearings are larger than both dodge and ford and seem to last a bit longer. (disclaimer: I hate unit bearings and think they are a bad design verses the traditional hub/bearing setup found on earlier trucks. None the less, GMs do seem to last a bit longer but still crap out way sooner than they should. IMHO unit bearings should not be used on 3/4ton and larger trucks). All late model truck now use unit bearings so you are not going to get your hubs regardless of make. no advantage to any make.

Dodge and Ford both also use a very ill designed track bar to keep the truck moving in a straight line. It is way undersized and tends to wear out in 36-50k miles. There is simply too much stress on the track bar and nobody can seem to mfg a rod end that can handle this stress long term.

As far as I have know GM has not had one single torsion bar fail under normal use. Even if one did fail the bump stops would hold the weight of the truck temporarily.

Again if you are not lifting the truck what does it matter?? I fully understand why someone would choose the solid axle if they are into some mild off roading, desert racing, etc. but I just don't see any advantage on the street opposed to the IFS. In fact I don't see how anyone could make a case for the live axle...........it rides worse, it's heavy, it's 1950s technology. GMs IFS has the same capacity (even more in some configurations) than the solid axle Fords and Dodges. The IFS uses very similar (even the same in some cases) components as it's solid axle counterparts. I realize everyone has their own opinions but the non-IFS crowd seems to be the most uneducated crowd when it comes to actually defending the superiority of the solid axle. It usually turns into............. "because I said so and that's what my brother-in-law who is an ASE certified mechanic said."

There is one reason and only one reason Dodge and Ford continue to use the solid axle......... IT IS CHEAPER to mfg than the IFS.

Have a happy Thanksgiving
Old 11-23-2005, 06:54 PM
MC Master Poster

Torsion bar failure. Are you saying the torsion bar fatigue and sagging front ends are less likely to happen on a GM IFS than a coil or leaf sprung live axle set up. I suppose it depends on the description of failure.

DO NOT misunderstand me. I own both GMC Yukon and Ford F 250, I am not knocking either. (Just stating why I would not buy a GM pickup truck)

I know, my ford has a modified version of the 60 called a 50. 75K on the ticker with ZERO issues and has seen some off roading and LOTS of towing. And lots more to come. It drives straight as an arrow, and it has 33" Nitto tires.
I ordered my truck from the factory with a manual shift transfer case, and manual hubs. I will do the next the same. If its not available that way, I will make it. Even if I have to go to Dynatrac.
Old 11-23-2005, 06:55 PM
MC Master Poster

If I need a track bar with rod ends, I am going to QA1.
Old 11-23-2005, 06:57 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 95 PS 190 EFI
Send a message via AIM to jimmer2880
I for one don't like the Chevy's car-like ride, especially in their front end. For me, it's not about being "heavy duty" enough, rather - my wife & I just like the stiffer ride.For the record - I own an '88 Chevy 1500, '99 Burban 1500 & 92 Wrangler. I had to put "add-a-leafs" on both Chevy's to get them to ride non-wimpy.
"I kept a crabgrass free lawn"
It's time to SKI.

Tags
2008, f150, f350, hybrid, tdi, x2 2008, x45, xstar