Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Tow Vehicles

Old 02-25-2013, 02:46 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2013 X-30 6.2L
Diesel Toureg

I have an 09 X-15 that I currently tow with 1/2 Suburban but am looking at a VW Toureg diesel. My Sub has a load leveling suspension which kicks in and I was a bit concerned as the new VW does not. I wondered if anyone has towed with this vehicle and if there is much squat. Pictures would be great.
Thanks
Old 02-25-2013, 03:23 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 X2
Mthon7 - Search Mattscraft and ttu on this board. I know they are both owners of TDi Touaregs because i started a thread a while back asking the same question. They both chimed in with great info about their vehicles. All the reviews on the new body style ('11 and up) TDi T-regs have been so good, it kept itching at me to get one. After looking casually since December, my wife and I pulled the trigger on a used '12 with 10k miles this weekend! I will get pics up with the boat attached as soon as I can go get it from winter storage. So far, we are averaging 29 mpg in casual driving around town. Absolutely astonishing to me!!!
Old 02-25-2013, 03:33 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 93 Prostar 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbrighton View Post
Picked up the MC yesterday. Anyone else pulling with an X5?

I hope you're planning to buy a drop hitch? Man that prop gurds gotta be an inch off the ground... You'd benefit from having more tongue weight as well

Ring-ding-ding-ding-dingeringeding...

You know they all have a little string hanging out, but it's not a tampon, it's a price tag...
Old 02-25-2013, 05:46 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2013 X-30 6.2L
Thanks. I did the search and was helpful but would love to see some pics if anyone has them. We are still a good 2 months away from warm enough weather I am envious.
Old 02-25-2013, 06:50 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by mthon7 View Post
I have an 09 X-15 that I currently tow with 1/2 Suburban but am looking at a VW Toureg diesel. My Sub has a load leveling suspension which kicks in and I was a bit concerned as the new VW does not. I wondered if anyone has towed with this vehicle and if there is much squat. Pictures would be great.
Thanks
The only MC's I've towed are a PS 190, Picklefork X2 and X15. All on MC tandem trailers.
Comparing the X2 to the X15, the X15 tows much lighter with respect to tongue weight.
When I hitch my X2 up to a F150, it squats bigtime.
X15 on the back of the same generation Ford Expedition (Expe loaded to the gills with 2 families (8 people) and gear stacked to the roof behing the 3rd seat) does not sag it much at all.
Shouldn't be too bad hooking up a 15 to it. (Compared to the X2 that was mentioned w/ MattsCraft)

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN
Old 02-25-2013, 06:55 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmd View Post
You're right about the Pilot - - - 4500 lbs. So, I'm right at the limit with the X-10 running along behind. However, the Pilot pulls it without a problem and (just as importantly), stops quickly enough when needed. I feel the boat back there but never feel like it is the one in charge.

Personally, I was interested in something with a bit more towing capacity, but my wife really liked the Pilot for its 8 passenger seating, economy and ride.

We also are a mere 3 miles from our regular launch site, so that helps. I did tow it 30+ miles to our winter storage place last Fall and the Pilot did just fine.

This Summer, we want to tow the boat to the nicer lakes just north of us and that will give me a better idea of how the Pilot does on longer trips.
Not to be the towing police, but having owned a Honda Ridgeline which has same towing as the pilot, you do realize that your towing rating is based on driver only and no additional passengers or gear. If you fill the thing with people and gear, the x10 is I think over 3000lbs plus trailer, plus any gear or fuel on the boat, I can't see how you won't be over the tow rating.

I pulled a 21' wakeboard boat with my ridgeline and it pulled fine (but did work hard going up hills, often dropping down into 3rd gear to keep 55mph) but I never had anyone else in the car with me. If you tow over the limit and get into an accident, the plaintiff's attorney may well take every penny you own.
Old 02-25-2013, 07:06 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 91 Prostar 190 - 454HO
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxsRiverRat View Post
I hope you're planning to buy a drop hitch? Man that prop gurds gotta be an inch off the ground... You'd benefit from having more tongue weight as well
It's already got a 2 inch drop tow bar. I am replacing the entire hitch this spring, but I don't think it will be any lower. Why would I want more tongue weight? It tows really well the way it is
Old 02-25-2013, 08:13 PM
TT Hero

Boat: 2005 X-STAR & 1993 Prostar 190 Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbrighton View Post
It's already got a 2 inch drop tow bar. I am replacing the entire hitch this spring, but I don't think it will be any lower. Why would I want more tongue weight? It tows really well the way it is
It looks pretty level to me, maybe a little high in front but hard to tell from that pic. Put a carpenters level under the trailer's frame rail behind the spare and see if it's level. (on level ground of course)
Dropping the tongue 1-2 inches won't gain you any tongue weight, and it's the correct trailer for that boat so you're ok. You could always put a heavy duty scale under the tongue to see where you're at.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:42 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 91 Prostar 190 - 454HO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseydave View Post
It looks pretty level to me, maybe a little high in front but hard to tell from that pic. Put a carpenters level under the trailer's frame rail behind the spare and see if it's level. (on level ground of course)
Dropping the tongue 1-2 inches won't gain you any tongue weight, and it's the correct trailer for that boat so you're ok. You could always put a heavy duty scale under the tongue to see where you're at.
Tongue weight is limited to 600lbs, and Im no where near that. Ill put a level on it this spring, but I think its OK. Its a self-leveling suspension too, so it won't ever sag and raise the rear of the trailer. It does rub the prop guards backing into my driveway, but I blame that on the driveway and not the trailer. I have ripped the front lip off 2 of my cars on the driveway too for not going at an angle or a bit to fast.
Old 02-26-2013, 12:18 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 Mastercraft X1
Yep.. Scott F was the previous owner.

Tags
2008, f150, f350, hybrid, tdi, x2 2008, x45, xstar