Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Tow Vehicles

Old 03-02-2005, 09:48 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Prostar 190, 1998, LT1, powerslot
Quote:
Originally Posted by BriEOD
I do not recall where I read it, but the Dodge Hemi trucks have the WORST gas mileage of any full size trucks.
Interesting! I still haven't become use to the way it looks. A positive note is that it reminds me of some of the late 50s two door station wagons.
Old 03-02-2005, 10:57 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 2004 Prostar 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by BriEOD
I do not recall where I read it, but the Dodge Hemi trucks have the WORST gas mileage of any full size trucks.
We had a Dodge Ram/ hemi rental while one of my company trucks was being repaired.......about 10 MPG! I was glad to get the Silverado back
Old 03-03-2005, 12:25 AM
Leroy

What vehicle, currently in production, has the worst gas mileage?

Answer

I've updated this based on information that I was able to find at http://www.fueleconomy.gov.

The Dodge Ram 1500 Pickup (4WD FFV) running on E85 gets 9mpg city, and 11mpg highway. The Chevy K2500 HD Silverado 4WD running on CNG gets 9mpg city, and 12mpg highway. The GMC C2500 Sierra 2WD running on CNG gets 9mpg city and 12mpg highway as well.

Old 03-03-2005, 09:53 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1995 Barefoot 200 Yamaha ProV 200, 1994 ProStar 190 LT1 1:1
Milkmainia,

Good deal on the truck

Let us know how it does for you.

ps-Miss the old avatar
Old 03-03-2005, 12:39 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2005 Prostar 197 / MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfitzgerald351
Take a look at http://www.fordvehicles.com/trucks/f150/compare/details/?vehicles=15285|16620|16135|16029 from Ford's website. You can customize the comparison vehicles if you like. I think I got them close (e.g. size, motor, tranny, etc...) Ford loses is just about every category I care about. The Nissan really looks like a good value. Why isn't Ford or Chevy putting longer warranties on their trucks? If they were really that dependable it wouldn't cost them anything to warranty them for longer and would be a no-brainer sales tactic. But they don't. I think that tells you something. At least you get 7/70 with Dodge. And this all comes from a lifetime Ford/Chevy guy.
Cool feature. I'm still hesitant/reluctant. I know what they say on paper, but all of us here tow decent size loads and I've not read enough good things about the Nissan drivetrain -for instance- to make me want to give up the size, stability and power of my chevy.

Longer warranties would be a nice selling point for US companies, and I think do-able for the mfg, because the last three new body chevy's I've owned have run 100k with no major issues to run up mfg warranty expenditures.

eg: Chevy now offers a little half ton z71 now in a crew cab. The bed is extra short, the motor is small and the gear ratio is high. I have never towed with one, but my gut says that is NOT what I want towing to the lake twice a week, yet there will still be a nice market for that vehicle.

I was in a ford test market a few years back & they had some really cool r&d stuff that I've yet to see reach the market.
We've already seen gm waste good engineering with bad marketing eg: composite beds and 4 wheel steering which have been cancelled. So the warranty answer may be that simple as well.

--
milkman why don't those kinda deals ever come my way?!
Old 03-03-2005, 01:42 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 95 PS 190 EFI
Send a message via AIM to jimmer2880
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfitzgerald351
I guess most trucks I've driven in recent years haven't had a granny like that so I didn't think about how it' wouldn't be too bad on the ramp. Reminds me of a funny story. When I got into the truck the dealer just handed me the keys and said have fun. Didn't tell me first was a granny low. So I drop the truck into gear and since I'm used to gas rigs I gave it some gas as I felt the take up on the clutch. WRONG IDEA. That damn motor has so much power and the gearing was so low the truck lurched violently ahead. This threw my foot off both the clutch and the gas pedal. Once that happened the truck slowed down violently which threw my foot back onto the gas pedal! Needless to say this cycle repeated violently a few times across the parking lot until I could get the cluch back in and find the right gear! Very embarrassing!
Scott, don't feel bad. I would get a real kick out of watching friends try to drive mine. I'm not sure if the gears on the new ones are layed out any different, but in mine, granny was all the way to the left & down. There was a decent amout of resistance move the gear shift to the left past 3rd & 4th gear. I would try to warn my friends, but you know how stubborn redneck men are "I can drive anything". Sure enough, they'd get in and put it in 3rd (actually 4th if you count granny as 1st) thinking they were in 1st and stall it repeatedly.

I drove it in traffic quite a bit to & from work every day. It was great, I'd use 2nd (again, not counting granny as 1st) and 4th. That would cover me from dead stop to 75 mph. The amount of torque in those motors is AWSOME!

I really mis my truck.
"I kept a crabgrass free lawn"
It's time to SKI.
Old 03-03-2005, 02:15 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2003 X30 MCX - SOLD
I currently have a '94 Bronco w the 351W and 205K, no major problems to speak of, changed the transmission at 115K (due to my father never changing the fluid). It pulls my X30 with no problems, and no real loss in gas milage (13mpg to 11mpg with the boat). I just wish you could put a Powerstroke engine with the Allison transmission, that would be the heat.
Old 03-03-2005, 02:22 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1984 Stars and Stripes Ski 19 w/ 454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric
Cool feature. I'm still hesitant/reluctant. I know what they say on paper, but all of us here tow decent size loads and I've not read enough good things about the Nissan drivetrain -for instance- to make me want to give up the size, stability and power of my chevy.
I'm with you. I'm not giving up my Bronco anytime soon... 190,000 mostly trouble free miles. New engine at 165,000. Easier/cheaper to put in a new block than figure out if I had a bad head gasket or cracked a head. Still on the original E4OD trans.

But my guess is that Nissan will get any issues ironed out in a hurry and that people looking for a nice 1/2 ton truck will start moving away from the American trucks. Especially if they are really $4k cheaper (though the falling dollar might help here in the future). I know I'd take a real close look at them.
Old 03-03-2005, 04:03 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: White/Red 91 PS 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric

milkman why don't those kinda deals ever come my way?!

trust me, that's about the only really good deal I've ever stepped in!

I did not realize that car lots REALLY depend on end of month type sales...
like I said, it was after closing time on the last day of the month.
this salesman was literally running paperwork from the desk to the lady that takes care of paperwork/titles/etc.

went back two weeks later to look at a quad-cab by the conversation we'd had earlier..... this guy didn't work there anymore.

"couldn't pee straight" is all I was told

Team MasterCraft Google Search Engine
Old 03-03-2005, 05:22 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
End of the month is the only time to do a car deal. They gotta make the quota. If there are 31 days in a month, show up on day 30 right before they close. In smaller towns, they'll let you take cars home overnight (new experience for me). When I brought it back the next day, my wife followed me. Whoops, sorry, my wife is my ride. Trade in isn't here. I've got to go to work though. I'll swing by later. Of course, I've taken the day off, but my buddy at work is set up to call with an emergency to get me out of there if need be when I eventually come back with the trade in. Drag those feet. Works like a charm. Come the 1st, your edge is gone. It also doesn't hurt, as in my situation, to be shopping for something like an Expedition. Most common car anywhere. Nothing so special on any lot that could run (not walk) away from.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.

Last edited by east tx skier; 03-03-2005 at 05:26 PM.

Tags
2008, f150, f350, hybrid, tdi, x2 2008, x45, xstar