Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Tow Vehicles

Old 01-18-2015, 07:19 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 07 xstar
Help with Truck Purchase

I have plans to purchase a new Chevy truck in the very near future , 45 days, and it cost a little more than expected
2015 1/2 ton crew with 6' bed 4x2 Z71 with a 6.2 with a few other goodies, price tag $44k

Here's where I need the Help
My sales rep said if I get someone that has ties with GM, sales, service, parts or whatever just as long as they can benefit from employee discount purchase, he said I could use their friends and family affiliation for the same discount.

Is any one on Mastercraft TT an employee or know someone who is that can help out a fellow TT Mastercraft owner with the information the sales rep need it'll be greatly appreciated
Thanks
Mark
Old 01-18-2015, 08:45 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: wooden, boat, 1908, putt
Quote:
Originally Posted by snork View Post
I have plans to purchase a new Chevy truck in the very near future , 45 days, and it cost a little more than expected
2015 1/2 ton crew with 6' bed 4x2 Z71 with a 6.2 with a few other goodies, price tag $44k

Here's where I need the Help
My sales rep said if I get someone that has ties with GM, sales, service, parts or whatever just as long as they can benefit from employee discount purchase, he said I could use their friends and family affiliation for the same discount.

Is any one on Mastercraft TT an employee or know someone who is that can help out a fellow TT Mastercraft owner with the information the sales rep need it'll be greatly appreciated
Thanks
Mark
I have bought my last two GMCs on their buyer's discount, and I won't do it again. I think the plan I was on was the Perspective Buyer plan and it was basically a 3% (or maybe a tiny bit more, been a while) discount. I feel that negotiation is a better approach with that discount. Once you lay your hand on the table about the discount plan, negotiations are off the board for all practical purposes.

IIRC the employee's discount is a different plan with a deeper discount. As you stated, [also] if you find an employee, they can look on line on their GM employees log in and see exactly what the price would be (for their discount) and go from there. I too found a GM employee (on the lesser of the two discount plans) that hooked me up and that is the specific purpose (perspective buyer). That particular plan is not what it appears to be, aside from being a teaser. Your mileage may vary. I was not impressed.

I have a 2012 2500 / 6.0 / 3.73 / six-speed auto / two axle drive / crew / < 5,000 (less than five thousand) miles that will be for sale shortly.

For the half-ton, I'd wait until 2016 and see how that Titan works with the smaller Cummins. I have a feeling that will be a home run.

Last edited by waterlogged882; 01-18-2015 at 09:05 PM.
Old 01-18-2015, 11:13 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1989 MasterCraft Prostar 190
The employee pricing is printed on the invoice. Post the last 8 digits of the VIN for the unit you are looking for and I will look up the amount for you. The program has changed in the last three years. Under the old plan the employee built up credits over time to use towards a purchase. The employee pricing on the invoice was just a bit into the holdback and you would use your credits against that number. Now the employee price is normally less the entire holdback plus a bit more. A pretty good deal.
Old 01-19-2015, 12:09 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 07 xstar
the truck will be custom built so theres no vin as of yet
the sales rep showed me the difference between the supplier discount and the employee discount, it was just about 3k
he said the dealer would give me an employee discount but I either had to know the employee of GM or be a relative of a GM employee
what he needs is I do believe is a GMS # or something like that
I'll check with him tomorrow or Tuesday about what he needed in specific
Old 01-19-2015, 01:17 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: Soon to be x45
Deleted, re read what you were looking for

Last edited by Bowsman; 01-19-2015 at 01:20 AM. Reason: misunderstood
Old 01-20-2015, 12:29 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 91' MC 240sc
I would shop your build with a couple different dealers.
Let them know you are considering other brands and don't tip your hand if you have your heart set on a chevy.
They can get as aggressive as they choose, a program plan just forces their hand more from my experience and understanding.
Let them work on it a while and get the salesman excited, then tell them no thanks, you think the Ford/dodge offer is better and walk. See what happens....
There are many other dealer incentives that go with a unit sale besides the "invoice" price they can choose to dip into.

Of course keep any trade a completely separate deal.
Old 01-20-2015, 02:47 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft, prostar 2001 205v
with the price of gas on the way down i see the discounts for trucks has gone the same way back in Nov it was 20%off MSRP... now that was a good deal! now it is closer to 10% off of MSRP for whatever that is worth...

Make sure you get the 3.42 gears, unfortunately you can't get 3.73's any more...read up on the vibration troubles these are having... it is a hit and miss, so if you get one run it up to 80MPH BEFORE you buy it...
Old 01-22-2015, 01:51 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Maristar 200 SS, 2006, 5.7L Crusader
I don't have any recent experience with Chevy/GMC, but I purchased a new Ram 1500 last year. Here's how it worked out for me. There are plenty of ways to find out dealer cost on a truck. Truecar, Edmunds, even the dealership was providing this for me when I had them price the truck I wanted to be built. Once you know the cost then you can figure out their holdback. On the Rams it was (MSRP-Destination Fees)*3%. You're trying to get as much of the holdback as possible. So when you figure out what you should pay its: Dealer Cost Plus Destination Fee Less Some/All of the Holdback Less Current Incentives Available. When I ordered my truck some of the Incentives were locked (The Majority) and one of them was subject to change (it didn't). I was able to get 100% of the holdback and an additional $1000 discount (dealership really needed to make a sale to hit their monthly number for additional bonuses from Ram). I talked to four different dealers and was surprised that the smallest (closest) one was the most aggressive when it came to wanting/needing to make a sale. Watch out for documentation fees-I've read that anywhere between $100-$200 is reasonable.