Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Tow Vehicles

Old 03-06-2015, 05:11 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1979 Mastercraft, 1998 ProStar 205
Newer FX4 Purchase

Looking at newer FX4 trucks to buy replacing my older one with 150k miles. I wanted one with Eco Boost 6 and I am hearing conflicting stories with this motor and the 5L V8. Have a 5.4 in my older truck and it has been a great engine. Any experience with either of these motors pros and cons. I appreciate any input.
Thanks
Old 03-06-2015, 05:20 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 85' S&S
Please don't ask this on the f150 forum. Haha.

What's your driving style? What do you tow? The Eco will get worse milage if you keep your foot in it, as any turbo motor. The 5.0 will get the same if not a tad less MPG than the Eco in normal driving, but the Eco has a lot more low end torque, but both will get the job done and both have equal problems.
Old 03-06-2015, 05:43 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2010 x14v
I have an '11 FX4 w/EcoBoost (I think this was the first year for motor?). 55k miles and not one issue. I drive it easy and avg. around 17mpg in kid-shuttling. Highway I can get to 20mpg at 75mph. Tows our x14v and gear no problem. When you get into the turbos, it pulls hard as Aric said w/the torque comment. Two comments I always get are "it doesn't ride like a truck" and "I can't believe the amount of room in this thing." Great truck for me.
Old 03-06-2015, 07:53 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2014 MasterCraft Prostar
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT500 MC View Post
I have an '11 FX4 w/EcoBoost (I think this was the first year for motor?). 55k miles and not one issue. I drive it easy and avg. around 17mpg in kid-shuttling. Highway I can get to 20mpg at 75mph. Tows our x14v and gear no problem. When you get into the turbos, it pulls hard as Aric said w/the torque comment. Two comments I always get are "it doesn't ride like a truck" and "I can't believe the amount of room in this thing." Great truck for me.
+1 on all above. Mine is a '11 lariat EB w/40k miles. Same use...same comments. I've had lots of trucks in 4 brands with most engine combos including cummins, navistar and duramax. The EB is a nice middle of the road truck that will work and behave like a diesel, but with the nimbleness of gas turbos. Besides the upper powertrain, the 6 speed select shift with 3:55 gears is a sweet match with that engine for trailering. Keep that baby around 2000 rpm and you have 80% torque available. That's in 5th gear limit running 70 mph trailering. And you stilL have another gear if you want...I've just found better fuel economy by not lugging it so much. No complaints...No problems yet.

2014 MC ProStar
2011 Sport Nautique 200V
2004 Ski Nautique 196
2003 Sport Nautique 216
1993 MC ProStar 190 25th Anniversary Limited Edition
1989 MC ProStar 190
Old 03-09-2015, 10:19 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2006 20' Vdrive
Agree on all above. Mines a '13 EB XLT with 20k miles now. Had it since new, and no issues. Besides the lower than expected gas mileage, all is well. I didn't buy a truck for fuel economy though, I bought it to tow a boat. The 17mpg or so on the highway, compared to 11 or 12 from the older trucks, is a welcome added bonus. I have to back mine down to 65mph or so to see anywhere close to 20mpg. Best I've gotten was 18.5 at about 77mph. That was with a tail wind.

For towing, it's great for something that should be towed with a 1/2 ton truck. Don't try to go pulling 11k lbs with it though, leave those loads for something beefier like a 3/4 ton truck. Great truck though, no complaints... tons of room, easy to drive, and tows great. One thing I'd definitely recommend is getting the back up camera. Makes life easy backing to your trailer and fitting into tight parking spots.

Also, I think the 11 and 12's had an issue with condensation in the intercooler. The fix was some holes drilled somewhere so it could drain. The '13s apparently had this addressed, and I haven't experienced any loss of power due to heavy condensation and moisture, and I've driven through some serious rain storms.
Old 03-24-2015, 04:39 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Mastercraft, prostar 2001 205v
It pains me that ford is getting V8 dollars for a V6... they have been masterful marketers... but give me a V8 with 3.73's or 3.55's any day especially when towing allot... the whole mileage thing along with all the trinkets they are selling makes me wonder what happened to all the gear heads.....

People get excited about 1 -2 mpg on a $40k+ truck... and have no idea what gears are good for pulling... then justify the new purchase because of the mileage delta...just cracks me up when the depreciation is $15k+ after 5 years... that is where you should be watching you money go....buy a used one or keep it for 10 years...

worrying about mileage and you have a boat...
Old 03-24-2015, 04:44 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 85' S&S
Well since the ecoboost has all its torque at super low end, I'll take an Eco with 3:73s over a v8 any day. But if you care about towing a lot get a diesel
Old 03-24-2015, 05:18 PM
TT Hero

Boat: 2005 X-STAR & 1993 Prostar 190 Limited
Love my '13 Platinum Ecoboost! Tows the X-star like a dream, better than my '07 Yukon XL Denali 6.2 did. The truck is so quiet you can really enjoy the BOSE stereo. Heated and cooled leather seats, backup camera, Navi.....the works! As others have said, I wouldn't go with it for real heavy towing.....3/4 ton diesel for that. However I wouldn't think twice about pulling an X-55 with it. (or anything smaller)
If you're using it to pull your 205, you won't even know it's back there!
Old 03-24-2015, 09:12 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006. Mastercraft maristar
ya i have 15 duramax and it is stupid when i pull the X30, sometimes i forget about the boat being back there. Eco boost makes more since probably but i was scared of the v-6 lasting for 200k miles. I know the duramax will
Old 03-24-2015, 09:43 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2002 Mastercraft Prostar 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain0725 View Post
ya i have 15 duramax and it is stupid when i pull the X30, sometimes i forget about the boat being back there. Eco boost makes more since probably but i was scared of the v-6 lasting for 200k miles. I know the duramax will
you should be nervous about the eco boost lasting 200k miles. there have been a lot of carbon build up issues reported around 60-80k miles on these engines.

i'm no where near sold on the eco motors yet. I've owned plenty of turbo charge vehicles in my day and they all came with heavy baggage in the long run.