Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Tow Vehicles

Old 12-28-2016, 12:51 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: spectrum
upgrade gears??

This is my first post. .I have a 2001 silverado 4.8l 4 wheel drive not the 5.3l like i wanted but oh well.. been lookin to add some extra umph for when i haul my boat,, especially up hills the truck dont like it.. Thought about a tuner,,maybe cold air intake.. now i have been readin about changin gears,, i am not sure what gears are in it now. my boat weights app. 2000lbs. so when i start goin up hills my truck really boggs down.. any input ,help on this would be appreciated greatly. since its 4whd do i have to change more than the back gears? I dont know nothing about this at all.
thanks again
Old 12-28-2016, 08:12 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1981 MasterCraft 351W slot
look in the glove box for a gu or gt code and look up gm rpo codes for rear end

you will have two sets to change and the expense will be considerable for an older truck.
Old 12-28-2016, 09:16 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2007 mastercraft CSX, mcx350.
Quote:
Originally Posted by archery1 View Post
This is my first post. .I have a 2001 silverado 4.8l 4 wheel drive not the 5.3l like i wanted but oh well.. been lookin to add some extra umph for when i haul my boat,, especially up hills the truck dont like it.. Thought about a tuner,,maybe cold air intake.. now i have been readin about changin gears,, i am not sure what gears are in it now. my boat weights app. 2000lbs. so when i start goin up hills my truck really boggs down.. any input ,help on this would be appreciated greatly. since its 4whd do i have to change more than the back gears? I dont know nothing about this at all.

thanks again

How many miles do you have on it ? . Sounds like you need a new catalytic converter, if it has a lot of miles. They will bog down a motor, restricting your motor to breath right. Rip that thing out and put a high flow cat in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-28-2016, 12:20 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: spectrum
160,000 ..lol. truck itsnt beat up.. the guy who had it b4 took it to dealer for everything and took real good care. maybe that cat will make a big dif. who knows.. worth a try.
thnx
Old 12-28-2016, 12:43 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '09 CSX 220SS
You would have to change both your front and rear gears if you go this route. I'm in a similar scenario as you as I have a 2005 F150 with the 4.6, regular cab, 4WD and it's a task to tow my boat. I'm right at or above my tow limit but I only tow it a few miles to the ramp and back. I would probably go CAI, tuner, exhaust before changing out the gears. Adding those 3 things would be about the same cost as the gear swap or maybe even less.
Old 12-28-2016, 01:17 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2015 X23 SS 6.2L
I think the CAI, Tuner and Exhaust would be the cheapest route.

If its 4WD you will have to do both the front and rear gears. I would imagine that you have pretty lower gears now.

The 4.8L is going to be maxed out at some point and the tuner can only do so much. 4:10 gears would probably be your best bet but your gas mileage is going to take a major hit.
Old 12-28-2016, 08:57 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2003 VRS 230 w/X-boat package, 8.1L
How much do you want to spend? Are you going to keep the truck for a long time?
I'm dealing with a similar situation- 2004 Silverado with the 4.8. It pulls my VRS 230 OK, but you can tell the engine is working hard on most hills. I've looked at the cost of a newer truck (2010-2014= 25K+), but I'm REALLY liking not having a car payment. I'm thinking seriously about putting a supercharger on it and calling it done. Most SC manufacturers are claiming to add about 100 HP, 120 ft/lbs at the rear wheels, which should be more than enough to move my truck and boat. It's a chunk of change (~$6500), but for me, far cheaper than buying a newer truck. My engine only has 40K on it (178K on the truck), so it makes sense in my head. That, and I've stayed on top of maintenance, so I know my truck pretty well. Buying something else used, who knows what I'll end up with. Had to buy the new engine within 2 mos of buying my current truck. Don't want to go through that again.
G
Old 12-28-2016, 10:15 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2016 X2 and 1985 SS (Sold - 2008 X2, 2003 197 TT, 1993 205)
My neighbor bought a 07-13' (can't remember exact year) to tow but immediately realized it only had 3.08 gears. He forked out money for an offroad shop to install 3.73 gears and then the shift points were all messed up and it is barely drive-able. He took it to the local Chevy dealer and this said they didn't have the program for his year/engine/transmission gear ratio with 3.73 since it wasn't a factory option... He's not even sure what to do now...

That is the condensed version of the story and it has holes in it but the bottom line is make sure you do your home work if you go down the path of changing gear ratios...
2003 197 TT - Sold
1993 205 - Sold
Old 12-28-2016, 10:22 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1981 MasterCraft 351W slot
Quote:
Originally Posted by 197 TT View Post
My neighbor bought a 07-13' (can't remember exact year) to tow but immediately realized it only had 3.08 gears. He forked out money for an offroad shop to install 3.73 gears and then the shift points were all messed up and it is barely drive-able. He took it to the local Chevy dealer and this said they didn't have the program for his year/engine/transmission gear ratio with 3.73 since it wasn't a factory option... He's not even sure what to do now...

That is the condensed version of the story and it has holes in it but the bottom line is make sure you do your home work if you go down the path of changing gear ratios...
that isn't hard for a competent tuner to fix and that dealership SUCKS
Old 12-28-2016, 10:22 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: pontoon
Since you have a 4wd, like stated above, you would need to change the ring and pinion on both front a rear. Not a major deal but will 2X the price of the job, so take that into account.

Need to know for sure what your current gear is for sure, before even knowing if a new gear is the answer. Sadly, neither those engine are torque monsters. Going down in gear (higher number) will up the RPM. However, this may get you out of 2nd into 3rd on some roads and out of 3rd into 4th on other roads, basically at a lower RPM at the same speed.