Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Tow Vehicles

Old 06-24-2015, 02:10 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1999 ProStar 205
4 door Jeep Wrangler?

Anyone here tow their MC with a 4 door Wrangler?
Old 06-24-2015, 02:20 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2002 XStar
I did recently and wouldn't recommend it unless you are planning on a 190 or stars and strips. I have a 205v on a tandem trailer and it didn't do so well. Could barely get to 55 mph and could feel the boat pushing the jeep. Had to be very careful to leave enough time to slow down. This is all based on my one experience towing about 15 miles from storage to the tire shop and back. Towing capacity on the 4d v6 wrangler I used was only 3,500#'s and I think that is the max on any model.
Old 06-24-2015, 02:32 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1999 ProStar 205
Thank you very much for the info. May go back to an F150 King Ranch.
Old 06-24-2015, 03:44 PM

Boat: 1997 '190 LT-1/ 'slot
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBrew View Post
I did recently and wouldn't recommend it unless you are planning on a 190 or stars and strips. I have a 205v on a tandem trailer and it didn't do so well. Could barely get to 55 mph and could feel the boat pushing the jeep. Had to be very careful to leave enough time to slow down. This is all based on my one experience towing about 15 miles from storage to the tire shop and back. Towing capacity on the 4d v6 wrangler I used was only 3,500#'s and I think that is the max on any model.
That shocks me. (I'm not doubting you) I figured it'd be better than that.

Prior boats - 2009 X14, 2008 X14, 2005 197, 1988 Tristar 190, 1989 Prostar.
Old 06-24-2015, 04:03 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2008 X45 Switch L18
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnE View Post
That shocks me. (I'm not doubting you) I figured it'd be better than that.
I thought they' be better than that too, but it doesn't surprise me.
Old 06-24-2015, 05:03 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: X-45
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott023 View Post
I thought they' be better than that too, but it doesn't surprise me.
Short wheel base certainly doesn't help and I doubt the chassis was designed for towing, let alone something heavier like a boat.
Old 06-25-2015, 11:13 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2002 x9
My I pad keeps crashes when I try and post a pic our embed a link.

I towed my new to me X9 home the other day. Worked great. Up the bigger grades I was down to 55. Stopping was fine and it didn't push me around at all and it was pretty windy.
Is your jeep completely stock? And are your sure you trailer brakes are working.

See this tread for a pic

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...t=67880&page=3
Old 06-26-2015, 11:03 AM
TT Regular

Here is the pic
Old 06-26-2015, 11:50 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2006 20' Vdrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broccoli2 View Post
My I pad keeps crashes when I try and post a pic our embed a link.

I towed my new to me X9 home the other day. Worked great. Up the bigger grades I was down to 55. Stopping was fine and it didn't push me around at all and it was pretty windy.
Is your jeep completely stock? And are your sure you trailer brakes are working.

See this tread for a pic

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...t=67880&page=3

Hope your trailer brakes work and you never get into an emergency situation with that boat. You're easily over the stated towing capacity of 3500#'s, and if you were to get in an accident while towing, good luck getting your insurance to pay the claim when they find you're at fault for towing over capacity.

Jeeps weren't made to tow more than a utility trailer with a lawn mower on it. They were built to climb over rocks and play in the dirt. The brakes are not up to par (especially with those bigger wheels on there), and they're certainly not heavy enough, or rigid enough, to create a solid towing platform. The biggest boat I'd ever tow with one of those is a stars and stripes, which I did with a Jeep XJ for a year that has a 5000# towing capacity, and even that was a bad idea. I lost my brakes in the ozarks and had to slam my jeep into 4 lo to get the thing to slow down.

A Jeep CAN tow... doesn't mean it SHOULD. Get the right tool for the job... you bought a MC to create a clean wake, not a bayliner. Give your tow rig the same courtesy.
Old 06-26-2015, 12:14 PM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzimme View Post
Hope your trailer brakes work and you never get into an emergency situation with that boat. You're easily over the stated towing capacity of 3500#'s, and if you were to get in an accident while towing, good luck getting your insurance to pay the claim when they find you're at fault for towing over capacity.

Jeeps weren't made to tow more than a utility trailer with a lawn mower on it. They were built to climb over rocks and play in the dirt. The brakes are not up to par (especially with those bigger wheels on there), and they're certainly not heavy enough, or rigid enough, to create a solid towing platform. The biggest boat I'd ever tow with one of those is a stars and stripes, which I did with a Jeep XJ for a year that has a 5000# towing capacity, and even that was a bad idea. I lost my brakes in the ozarks and had to slam my jeep into 4 lo to get the thing to slow down.

A Jeep CAN tow... doesn't mean it SHOULD. Get the right tool for the job... you bought a MC to create a clean wake, not a bayliner. Give your tow rig the same courtesy.
Thanks for looking out, However a stock jeep is limited by many things, My jeep has been regeared and has a 6000lb hitch rating (stock hitch is 3500) and is up for the challenge. I do agree that it probably not the best tow vehicle. This is not my first choice of tow vehicles. I sold my dually and 5th wheel to buy my class A motorhome which is my primary tow vehicle for the boat. i also have a few work trucks that I can use to tow if I go any further than my local lake that I would be camping at. They were all being used that day. i will contuie to use the jeep, when need be unless I can find someone to trade me for a f350 or a 3500 diesel.. again thanks for your concern.