Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Tow Vehicles

Old 11-13-2014, 12:05 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: MasterCraft, X35, 2010, 6.0
Anyone tow with a Cayenne? Comments please

I would like to know if anyone has experience towing with a Porsche Cayenne Turbo, I own a 2014 500hp and I need to tow my MasterCraft X35 approximately 1000 miles round trip. I am not sure if the Cayenne is more a sports car then a towing car???? The specifications in paper says it is possible but I am looking for someone who has experience and advice on this.
Old 11-13-2014, 12:10 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2008 X45 Switch L18
It has the power, but the suspension isn't set up for towing. If I had a Cayenne, I wouldn't tow with it.
Old 11-13-2014, 12:49 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2002 Xstar
Sweet ride, but more of a sports car....probably pretty hard on the transmission over time, or a 1000 mile trip. That would make me nervous. Then again, several have towed with a Toureg with no problem....but the Toureg with the V10, which is a bad motha
Old 11-13-2014, 01:36 AM
MC Addict

Boat: 85' S&S
Yes. You would be more than capable towing with that beast! With the air suspension, brakes and 500hp of twin turboness you are more than capable. I would rather tow with a cayenne or rover than my f150 or my old Silverado every day of the week. I would have no hesitation towing with that.
Old 11-13-2014, 09:03 AM
jgraham37128

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aric'sX15 View Post
Yes. You would be more than capable towing with that beast! With the air suspension, brakes and 500hp of twin turboness you are more than capable. I would rather tow with a cayenne or rover than my f150 or my old Silverado every day of the week. I would have no hesitation towing with that.
I agree. I would tow from coast to coast with a Turbo Cayenne.
Old 11-13-2014, 09:59 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '96 205 TBI
As it's a 2014, it should still be under warranty if you do screw the transmission

Just watch the temps... I towed my 205 350 miles in one hit with a range rover (95 classic rangie), the only issue I had was overheating the gearbox - it shifted to 4th at 56-58mph so towing at 50-60 meant it was in 3rd most of the time. The tunnel was so hot you couldn't touch it and towards the end the torque converter was slipping. Of course, this shouldn't be a problem with newer cars with 6+ gears on an auto
Old 11-13-2014, 10:23 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: SOLD 2007 X1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aric'sX15 View Post
So it can tow, but is it setup to STOP safely? Not an argument, just a question.
Old 11-13-2014, 10:27 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2007 X2 towed by a 2012 Touareg TDI
tow capacity is 7700 lbs.
Old 11-13-2014, 11:09 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 93 Prostar 205
No offense to anyone that owns a German make. But I stay clear of anything German or English. I really love their cars, I just don’t trust reliability and I hate the repair costs...

When I was searching for a convertible sports car, I was trying to decide between an S2000 and a Boxter. Most people I asked who’d owned German cars said ‘never again...’ But one buddy’s comment made my decision for me “Mark, if you have $500 to spend everytime you have to get a sensor light turned off at the dealer, get the Porsche. Otherwise buy the Honda and get a better performing car...”

Now i stick with 2 brands - Toyota and Lexus. Nothing better out there IMO

Ring-ding-ding-ding-dingeringeding...

You know they all have a little string hanging out, but it's not a tampon, it's a price tag...
Old 11-13-2014, 11:38 AM
MC Addict

Boat: 85' S&S
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobx1 View Post
So it can tow, but is it setup to STOP safely? Not an argument, just a question.

Even without the optional carbon ceramic brakes, it has better brakes than any pickup truck on the market.

And the unreliable German cars of yesterday are not like today's german cars. My bmw is problem free, my moms Audi is problem free, and our last Porsches (one being a 2010 cayenne GTS) have never had issues. With his cayenne being a 2014, I would have no problems considering he will still be under warranty.

If I wanted a boring car, I'd drive my brothers new Lexus