Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Tow Vehicles

Old 07-22-2016, 09:48 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: None
Suburban's tranny goes south!

My brother-in law recently purchased a clean '97 Suburban with 110K miles. Last weekend he towed his pontoon 90 miles and then a couple of days later set out for home and only got about 45 miles toward home and the transmission failed. He towed in overdrive and they attribute the failure to that. My question; is that enough towing to trash a transmission or was it already in bad shape. I have always towed in 4th with my Suburban and have had no problems. Thoughts?
Old 07-22-2016, 09:59 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1981 MasterCraft 351W slot
the 4l60e is a ticket by bomb after 100,000 miles. towing in overdrive is ok if you are on level ground so the transmission doesn't kick in and out of OD You should have a Trans cooler, the one in the radiator can take out a trans,
Old 07-23-2016, 08:55 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: None
Who knows what those previous 110K miles were like on that tranny. To answer, no towing a pontoon will not take out the tranny. Probably due to age, neglect, and previous use.
Old 07-23-2016, 09:18 AM

Boat: 06 X30
If you add an auxiliary trans cooler do not by pass the one in the radiator. Doing so can cause premature failure.

Towing a pontoon didn't kill the trans. Like posted, neglect and overheating the fluid are probably the issues.
Old 07-23-2016, 09:27 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakejimmyjon View Post
My brother-in law recently purchased a clean '97 Suburban with 110K miles. Last weekend he towed his pontoon 90 miles and then a couple of days later set out for home and only got about 45 miles toward home and the transmission failed. He towed in overdrive and they attribute the failure to that. My question; is that enough towing to trash a transmission or was it already in bad shape. I have always towed in 4th with my Suburban and have had no problems. Thoughts?
Does the pontoon trailer have brakes? If so, are they binding?
Old 07-23-2016, 09:37 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: pontoon
I got 175K on my 1st 4L60e and im at 100K on the 2nd (same SUV) and always tow in OD position. OD is just a 4th gear ratio. If the RPMs drop to low, the trans will shift back to a lower gear to get the RPMs back up. This is based on throttle input and load. So, the only difference between OD and 3, is that 4th ratio when at higher speeds. If the load is not too heavy and roads are no more than small inclines, tow in OD.
Old 07-23-2016, 09:58 AM
MC Master Poster

Don't these have a towing package, with a button on the shifter to activate the transmission? My Astro van has that.
Old 07-23-2016, 10:45 AM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
I am jumping on the bandwagon - either trans was on last legs or trailer had binding rear breaks.

I am betting on old trans fluid which start the failure.. then probably a dirty trans filter.

Towing out of OD just circulates more fluid thru the cooler - did it have a trans cooler?
Old 07-23-2016, 02:55 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2004 Prostar 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakejimmyjon View Post
Not sure of transmission year-to-year but my 98 tahoe had 270K miles on it when I sold it in 2010 with original engine and tranny. It was used as a plow truck/work truck from 190K on. I saw the buyer plowing with it again last winter......

I had upgraded the front springs to carry the 3/4 ton rated plow and always ran ballast (sand bags) in the back when plowing.....it put in lots of rough duty!!

Those year burbans and tahoes were built like tanks!!!

2004 Prostar 197, ACME 843