Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 08-25-2013, 06:08 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1990 Canadian Edition V-King (sold), 1994 Prostar 205
Well, here is what I've finished as of today. Just shakes and eve trough to finish!
Attached Images

Old 08-25-2013, 07:00 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2004 Prostar 190
Pics and more Info on track system....please

Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

2004 Prostar 197, ACME 843
Old 08-25-2013, 07:15 PM
TT Enthusiast

I looked at a few manufactures of marine railways
http://www.naylorsystems.com/marine-railways.html
http://www.rjmachine.ca/marinerailways
and their design and realized that for a fraction of the price I could make my own. I used 3" x 1 5/8" steel for rails and 2" angle for cross bracing. I used the Mastecraft trailer to make the bunk layout. After I welded all the sections of track, supports, and the trolly, for a cost of $700 I took it to Toronto and had a company "hot dip" (galvanize) all of it, another $700.....$1400 total cost! as opposed to $4500~ $6000 to buy. I've been using it for 6 yrs. no problem...should I go into business making them???
Old 08-25-2013, 07:21 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2004 Prostar 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuie View Post
I looked at a few manufactures of marine railways
http://www.naylorsystems.com/marine-railways.html
http://www.rjmachine.ca/marinerailways
and their design and realized that for a fraction of the price I could make my own. I used 3" x 1 5/8" steel for rails and 2" angle for cross bracing. I used the Mastecraft trailer to make the bunk layout. After I welded all the sections of track, supports, and the trolly, for a cost of $700 I took it to Toronto and had a company "hot dip" (galvanize) all of it, another $700.....$1400 total cost! as opposed to $4500~ $6000 to buy. I've been using it for 6 yrs. no problem...should I go into business making them???
Very cool....take some closeups of your build!!

Also, what did you use for wheels?

Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

2004 Prostar 197, ACME 843
Old 08-25-2013, 07:47 PM
TT Enthusiast

Just do a search for flanged caster wheels, here is one
http://www.thomasnet.com/catnav/prod...cnprod=3001181

Can't remember place I got mine, in Ontario somewhere, I can post more pics of the railway tomorrow, it's getting dark now.
Old 08-26-2013, 08:26 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1998 Malibu Echelon and 1985 Stars and Stripes
Well, I did not document the modifications I had to make like I wanted to, so I apologize. I still have some work to do like paint the remaining steel and fabricate a set of bow bunks for the dolly for when I float the boat on. I just have a rubber dock bumper tied to the area for now. It's been functioning without issues now for about a month or so.

It was a long process made longer because I had to wait through two floods, as the steel work on the face of the ramp had to be done at a normal water level. The front face of the ramp had eroded away after ice ripped out the brackets that were attached directly to the cement back in the early 90's. I placed a 1/4" sheet of steel on the existing footer and secured it to the ramp face. Wherever there was void in the face of the ramp, bolts were welded to the plate so when I filled the voids with new cement they would help keep it in place. I also put a cap on the plate and welded the plate to the existing rails. Furthermore, I decided on "deadheads" in three locations that were welded to pins driven in the concrete about a foot back. It's pretty solid now.

The rails with pipes welded underneath are 12' long, and then there is a 20' long set of rails that lay directly on the river bottom. It is about 6' deep at the end of my rails so low water launching should never be an issue. I have around $700 in materials for this project so far...ouch! But it's worth every penny.
Attached Images

Old 08-26-2013, 10:03 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 Pro Star 197 TT #58 of 100
That is cool!
Old 08-27-2013, 08:49 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002 X Star
^^That's a sweet setup!

2002 X Star
Sold - 76 S&S
Old 08-27-2013, 01:32 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2003 Prostar 209 MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by sethro View Post
Well, I did not document the modifications I had to make like I wanted to, so I apologize. I still have some work to do like paint the remaining steel and fabricate a set of bow bunks for the dolly for when I float the boat on. I just have a rubber dock bumper tied to the area for now. It's been functioning without issues now for about a month or so.

It was a long process made longer because I had to wait through two floods, as the steel work on the face of the ramp had to be done at a normal water level. The front face of the ramp had eroded away after ice ripped out the brackets that were attached directly to the cement back in the early 90's. I placed a 1/4" sheet of steel on the existing footer and secured it to the ramp face. Wherever there was void in the face of the ramp, bolts were welded to the plate so when I filled the voids with new cement they would help keep it in place. I also put a cap on the plate and welded the plate to the existing rails. Furthermore, I decided on "deadheads" in three locations that were welded to pins driven in the concrete about a foot back. It's pretty solid now.

The rails with pipes welded underneath are 12' long, and then there is a 20' long set of rails that lay directly on the river bottom. It is about 6' deep at the end of my rails so low water launching should never be an issue. I have around $700 in materials for this project so far...ouch! But it's worth every penny.
WOW !! Great set up you have there!
Old 09-17-2013, 10:05 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: What ever floats your.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoverGuy04 View Post
Do warehouses count? :-) Here are a few grainy shot's from a business I launched right when the economy took a ****. Apparently people weren't looking to buy into a motoring club in 2008. Go figure! Photos were taken with an iPhone 3G, hence the crappy quality. Last shot is of the Carver 530 Voyager Pilothouse we had for our prospective members to utilize. Captain'ed of course! Man, that was a sweet boat!
I thought this was Ric's garage for a second. Then I remembered his didn't have the posts in the middle, cars were about the same