Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 05-14-2013, 10:26 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2007 X1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctjahn View Post
Thanks.

I have been racing since 94 (and I am only 38 or so.) Bought, sold, begged borrowed, stole and negotiated my way up to this car through no less than 25 car deals.

It is powered by a 2007/2008 GSXR 1000 bike motor. About 750 pounds; but it is no toy. 1500 to 3000 pounds of downforce depending on the track. About 14' long, 6.5' wide. 8" wide fronts, 10" wide rears. Electrically controlled air actuated paddle shifter, carbon fiber, and all kinds of crazy technology. Does road course laptimes just shy of the ALMS cars....

Big step up this year (from old car); to this one. (Mind you.... self financed, self sponsored driver, my own mechanic, builder, pit crew, team manager, and truck driver when not on the boat.)

My full time hobby...outside of the house and boat... And... wife.

Cj
What race class does your car qualify for?

Seems like every other year or so I start looking into touring car racing, having seen some decent racecars (M3's) go used for $27k. But by the time I start digging into SCCA and frankly get a little overwhelmed, I lean back toward shifter carts. SCCA is clearly setup for the initiated. I guess some may say the same for skiing the course too. Each time I take a huge step back, go skiing and look for ways to goose my retirement instead - boring I know. Racing is hard to justify until I find that magic job/buy a co. where I work fewer hours.
Old 05-14-2013, 11:28 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1983 Stars and Stripes PowerSlot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post

Seems like every other year or so I start looking into touring car racing, having seen some decent racecars (M3's) go used for $27k. But by the time I start digging into SCCA and frankly get a little overwhelmed, I lean back toward shifter carts. SCCA is clearly setup for the initiated. I guess some may say the same for skiing the course too. Each time I take a huge step back, go skiing and look for ways to goose my retirement instead - boring I know. Racing is hard to justify until I find that magic job/buy a co. where I work fewer hours.
In my experience if you own a company you will work more hours, not less! When you are off work(?) you will still be running through your mind how to do more business. Of course that assessment is based on owning a wholesale business for 40 years. Your experience may be different in another occupation. Always be careful what you wish for!
Old 05-15-2013, 08:00 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Own a 78 MC S&S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post

That is "DSR" or "D Sports Racing". Mind you I have spent 20 years to get to this position now. Buy, race, rebuild, race, sell, repeat. It is much cheaper to buy a car pre-built but there are classes and/or cars for all kinds of budgets. I was doing nationals but took a step back to MidwesternCouncil (cheaper) to learn the new car. My first car was (ugh) a pinto...race...car....

We live quite modestly (my truck has 100k+ miles, daily driver has 110k+) Boat only cost me about 4k... and with my understanding wife helps too. And by doing everything yourself, you can save a lot. I run on used tires ($200 a set opposed to $1000 a set - most guys burn through a set each day in this class. I run mine until the cords show through.); but it helps that my family has been doing this since 72 and I grew up at the track...https://www.facebook.com/JahnAutosport

HOWEVER, My buddy built a "spec miata" for pennies on the dollar and just got out racing this year. Young family, and is doing it on a tight budget.... yea, its a miata but a pretty nice looking car and he is racing. Dont need to step into F1 your first year! https://www.facebook.com/SchwarzMotorsports

Back on topic. Lets see those garages so I can plan for my dream shop!

Last edited by ctjahn; 05-15-2013 at 08:02 AM. Reason: EDIT(FYI): I dont own my own business - I work for the man and hate my job but it allows me to play!
Old 05-15-2013, 11:09 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1990 Canadian Edition V-King (sold), 1994 Prostar 205
Well, I thought I'd post a pic of start of my new boathouse. Floor area is 28' x 20', walls are 9'9" for a 9'w x 8'h garage door with at 12/12 pitch roof. Hope to have floor poured next week.
Attached Images

Old 05-15-2013, 11:02 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: '07 ProStar 197 w/ MCX
Floor done. Boat and truck in. Banner hung. I'd say it is coming along...

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368673097.820845.jpg
Views: 780
Size:  58.0 KB

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368673322.890986.jpg
Views: 784
Size:  34.1 KB
Old 05-16-2013, 12:14 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002 ProStar 197 ProTournament Team
Send a message via AIM to TayMC197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodar View Post
Floor done. Boat and truck in. Banner hung. I'd say it is coming along...

Attachment 95053

Attachment 95054
What's the depth of your garage?
Old 05-16-2013, 12:33 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft, X10, 2005, MCX
Send a message via MSN to wtrjock Send a message via Yahoo to wtrjock
A couple years ago we decided we were done putting our boat under the 10x25 canopy tarp. We built a garage addition onto our house. I made it tall enough to fit the boat with the tower up. Boat fits perfect, but that is about it. Wish I had more land to build a little bigger.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk HD
Old 05-16-2013, 08:32 AM
chriscraftmatt1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtrjock View Post
A couple years ago we decided we were done putting our boat under the 10x25 canopy tarp. We built a garage addition onto our house. I made it tall enough to fit the boat with the tower up. Boat fits perfect, but that is about it. Wish I had more land to build a little bigger.

I like it! Cool lookin house.
Old 05-16-2013, 01:19 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtrjock View Post
A couple years ago we decided we were done putting our boat under the 10x25 canopy tarp. We built a garage addition onto our house. I made it tall enough to fit the boat with the tower up. Boat fits perfect, but that is about it. Wish I had more land to build a little bigger.[/IMG]

That is a whole other level of sweetness!!
Old 05-16-2013, 01:20 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TayMC197 View Post
What's the depth of your garage?
From the back side of my garage door to the back wall, I am at 21' 9". The garage is 22' from door jamb to back wall.