Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 03-24-2009, 11:16 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2007 mastercraft x2
Quote:
Originally Posted by #47of100TeamMC View Post
I like the small overhead door idea... then I could mount a garage door opener on my lawn mower! now that is livin'!
o yea... while you're dreaming big... go buy an old refrigerator and cover the outside w/ checker plated aluminum... fill it w/ beer and hot pockets... that way since you'll have a heater and a bathroom... you will welcome your wife to kick you out... i estimate that one man can live off a single refrigerator full of beer and hot pockets for at least 2 months... unless of course you drink too many beers too fast then you'll inadvertently eat too many hot pockets thusly shortening your long term survivability

o yea and on the garage door opener thing... most john deere mowers are perfect for this... under the bottom of the seat is a great place... protected from the weather and easily accessible... my friend had his there and i pulled into his drive way and he was mowing his yard and pulled the lawnmower onto the concrete leading to the small door and the door began to raise... he was really nonchalant about hitting the opener button... i was impressed

MY LED INSTALL... CHECK IT OUT

MY WAKESIDE RIDE

"It's just water... not concrete or dirt... so just throw it"
-Parks Bonifay

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink... when they wake up that's as good as they're going to feel all day"
-Frank Sinatra

"Indecision may, or may not, be my problem"
-Jimmy Buffett

Last edited by wakeX2wake; 03-24-2009 at 11:18 AM.
Old 03-24-2009, 11:38 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft 205, 1999, LTR
Quote:
Last night my wife says... "Ya know, with building material prices soo low... maybe we should build that second garage!" I just about fell off my chair. So here I go... Anybody got some good ideas to incorporate into a garage? I'm limited to 1200 sqft. because of the covenants in our neighborhood, no 2story garage and it has to match the house which will be cultured stone and Cement board siding. But other than that, I think it's wide open. I'm thinking 40'wide and 30' deep or somewhere close to that, space shouldn't be a problem. I think i'd like at least 2 overhead doors (Height suggestions anyone?) and 1 side service door. I plan to pull power to the garage, but most likely not water. Maybe gas so I can have a heater, but that will depend on the cost to pull a natural gas line.

I'm in the process of searching through the 85pages in this thread for ideas... Any help would be awesome! thanks!
One thing that I would consider a "must" is a 12' overhead door if you are going to store a boat in there with a tower. That way you don't have to drop your tower all of the time. I would also insulate it and if you can afford it sheetrock it at the same time, especially if you are planning on a heater. Also, depending on what kind of heat you plan on eventually putting in there, make sure you have enough power going in there.
Old 03-24-2009, 02:22 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2002 Tournament Team Edition Prostar 197
Send a message via MSN to #47of100TeamMC
Quote:
Originally Posted by russlars View Post
One thing that I would consider a "must" is a 12' overhead door if you are going to store a boat in there with a tower.
I suppose a guy needs 14' walls to get a 12' door in there when you factor in the Header etc.?
Old 03-24-2009, 02:29 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
I suppose a guy needs 14' walls to get a 12' door in there when you factor in the Header etc.?
You are absolutely correct on that one. Not sure if that would be considered a "2 story" garage or not.
Old 03-24-2009, 02:34 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2002 Tournament Team Edition Prostar 197
Send a message via MSN to #47of100TeamMC
Quote:
Originally Posted by russlars View Post
You are absolutely correct on that one. Not sure if that would be considered a "2 story" garage or not.
Good point, I'll have to check the covenants again. I believe it just states no living quarters above the garage, but I'll double check.

Keep the ideas comin'!
Old 03-24-2009, 02:41 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Good point, I'll have to check the covenants again. I believe it just states no living quarters above the garage, but I'll double check.

Keep the ideas comin'!
If you can have the 14' sidewalls you may want to consider having one side of the garage a "workshop" area. I did this in mine and built in a loft over the workshop for storage, etc.
Old 03-24-2009, 02:57 PM
MC Maniac

build in your storage... and don't use those wuss bag wire shelving things that are made for closets... they simply won't hold up... i would get some heavier duty wire shelving and build you a rack out of 2x6s on the outside and 2x4s on the inside so that the wire shelving sits on the 2x4 and is held in place on the front and back by the 2x6... they work great and the "lip" provides great hold for anything including balls and ropes and whatever else... i do not suggest a solid bottom on the shelving material however b/c the dust will collect exponentially worse on the shelf itself and on whatever is on it

MY WAKESIDE RIDE

-Parks Bonifay

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink... when they wake up that's as good as they're going to feel all day"
-Frank Sinatra

-Jimmy Buffett
Old 03-24-2009, 03:03 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1993 Prostar 205
Send a message via AIM to cbryan70
I would most definatly get pisser. Also look into floor heating. Expensive to start but cheaper over the long run i beleive.
Old 03-24-2009, 03:04 PM
MC Maniac

plugs and electrical cord reels mounted in the ceiling... a friend of mine has 2 of these and they are invaluable... he only has a 10 ft ceiling in his garage but to reach up... grab a string... and have an electrical cord in your hand w/o having to grab on off a shelf and find a plug and have to coil it back up is absolutely awesome

MY WAKESIDE RIDE

-Parks Bonifay

-Frank Sinatra

-Jimmy Buffett
Old 03-24-2009, 03:06 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1993 Prostar 205
Send a message via AIM to cbryan70
make sure to get air compressor hoses ran as well. a few in the workshop and one by one of the doors for easy inflating of car tires and such