Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 11-07-2007, 11:35 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2000 ProStar 205, 350/310hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin' 4 Toys
If you only knew 1/2 of my efforts..... This hardly puts a scratch in the surface..
I am learning more and more about solar, wind power, and energy savings on a daily basis. Slow, but sure. I only wish I had more free time to spend, but I am getting there..
WFT, the company I work for has a green power division. Sounds like you're on a mission, so try this link out. Somewhere in there it will tell you whether your house is a good candidate for wind power. I can dig up more from the GM of that company if you're interested.

http://www.chooserenewables.com
Old 11-07-2007, 11:47 PM
Leroy

Neat fan!

I saw a solar panel for $94 that would put our one amp. Would run a pretty good fan or trickle charge a battery.

Hey have you tried putting a car alt on a bike wheel? Would be great way to stay warm during the winter

Quote:
If you only knew 1/2 of my efforts..... This hardly puts a scratch in the surface..
I am learning more and more about solar, wind power, and energy savings on a daily basis. Slow, but sure. I only wish I had more free time to spend, but I am getting there..
Old 11-08-2007, 12:19 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2007 Prostar 197 TT #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric
willski, you that is either a great story showcase of gear or you are the champion of getting the most years out of your gear!
We were renting the house, and that was some of my stuff and some of the landlord's stuff he left there for storage. (We knew him, and he was out of the country). In the next pic, you can see, I don't really have that much stuff!
Old 11-08-2007, 10:45 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2005 Prostar 197 / MCX
Quote:
So I bought one, and installed it when I built my "shack out back" over the last few weeks. Here is the before pic, I'll have to climb back up on the roof to take an "after" picture. I painted it to match the roof, so it doesn't look like this anymore, but here it is out of the package and assembled before paint.
VERY cool! what are we talkin here? $500.00 + install?
Old 11-08-2007, 10:33 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: What ever floats your.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric
VERY cool! what are we talkin here? $500.00 + install?
$200 + install. It's easier than you might imagine. It took me longer to paint it that it did to install, although I did it right after sheeting the roof and while laying the shingles, so it was a piece of cake....
Here is my finished product.

Last edited by Workin' 4 Toys; 03-13-2008 at 04:12 PM.
Old 11-09-2007, 10:52 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2005 Prostar 197 / MCX
ok looks really nice and my neighbors might not say a word about this now that I see it after paint!
2 more q's
where did you get it? and does it have a cut off switch accessible from inside the attic or something?
Old 11-09-2007, 11:08 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: X2 2005
Quote:
$200 + install. It's easier than you might imagine. It took me longer to paint it that it did to install, although I did it right after sheeting the roof and while laying the shingles, so it was a piece of cake....
Here is my finished product.
Nice job!!!! BUT>>>>>>Can I see what is under the roof?
Old 11-09-2007, 12:31 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric
ok looks really nice and my neighbors might not say a word about this now that I see it after paint!
2 more q's
where did you get it? and does it have a cut off switch accessible from inside the attic or something?
They are available at select Home Depots. (By that I mean, I checked 4 different stores, and bought the only one at that store I found it at)
It has a brushless motor so it is about as efficient as it gets (for the money). You can't even here it run.
I have considered installing a switch, however, it only runs (For lack of a better term) when the sun is shining. There is no battery. The solar panel plugs directly into the motor. There is a few extra feet of wire so adding a switch can be done easily. I just chose not to (for now). Like I said, I was going to, but so far I have no reason to.
Old 11-09-2007, 12:43 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RexDog1
Nice job!!!! BUT>>>>>>Can I see what is under the roof?
I had no idea you have such a desire to see my small engine equipment (ie snowblower, weedwacker, generator, pressure washer etc..) and lawn equipment...
This fan/roof you see here I just finished building my "shack out back" as I have mentioned before. This I would not hesitate to show you the inside, its clean and just about complete with the exception of some more shelving I am going to add. I just don't know what or where exactly, otherwise it would be done. I have to add a few more miscellaneous electrical components too..

Ric,
I should also note, I had figured on running ONLY this fan with some soffit vents. However, because of the fact I would like to have constant ventilation even when the sun is not out, I added a ridge vent. My ridge board is 16' long & I have 8 linear feet of ridge vent, and 32 linear feet of soffit vent in addition to the solar panel.
Old 11-09-2007, 01:15 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: 04 210 Maristar
No ****

I am tired of hearing about this crap.

I want to see this garage. Get on it WFT or the freebees stop.

PICS !!!!