Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 06-13-2017, 03:53 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2006 X2
Trailer Help

Hi Everyone,

Short story here. I purchased a used 2006 X2 last year from a dealer. Right now I will let them remain nameless. First time boat for me, my wife hadn't owned a boat in years. We drove off the lot and the trailer slammed into the back of the truck. I turned around and asked if that was normal, they said a little pushing can be normal. Needless to say, we figured out it was not.

We had a 12 hour drive back which went over some mountains. Scariest drive of my life. Unfortunately when we truly realized there was an issue we were halfway home and the dealership was already closed. I called the next day, let them know. They said it was probably the master cylinder and get it looked at by the local MC dealer and they would take care of it. Well it took almost 2 months to get into the local dealer. They confirmed it was a bad master cylinder/actuator but they could fix it until fall/winter. Said take it easy since our lake is a mile from our house.

Our lake let water out early this year so we pretty much had the boat garaged by mid august, purchased the boat in early June. We pulled it out in March to get it serviced for the year and the wheels are locked. We had worked it out where the MC dealers were going to work together to fix the master cylinder. But now I can get the boat down there because the trailer is locked up.

We have a trailer guy come a break free the brakes and he looks under the trailer and it's shot. rust every where, cracks in the cross support bars, brakes never worked. The boat was used for a short time in salt water, apparently much more than we were led to believe because the trailer is fully rusted out. Trailer guy said it's toast. Unsafe to drive were his words.

I have tried to work with the dealer ship, but they are being unreasonable they have a used trailer on their lot that they wanted to sell me for 4K but they had to fix some things. They said they would sell as is for 2K, but it's trashed. Needs new boards, bumpers, carpet, tires and rims and no way to test the braking system.

I really don't know what to do here. I called MC directly but have not heard back. I don't want to go the route of getting a lawyer, but at this point we bought a boat, from a dealer, to not deal with this. On top of everything, when they replaced the motor in the old boat they used the old alternator and plugs and wires which are shot and need to be replaced.

Anyone have any idea of how to deal with this best. I've given them 3 months to rectify it, and it hasn't happened. Their idea is to sell me a trailer at what they feel is a discount.
Old 06-13-2017, 04:13 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2016 X30, 85 S&S
I hate to say it, but you likely bought the boat as is. The dealer offering to foot the bill is being generous. Unless you negotiated the brakes fixed in the buyers contract, getting a lawyer is not going to do anything but spend your money.

was there a warranty involved with the purchase?

LONE STAR MASTERBASH 2017

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=77736

2016 X30-Wetsounds galore
1985 S&S
Old 06-13-2017, 04:15 PM
TT Newbie

It was a 30 day warranty. We notified them the very next day.
Old 06-13-2017, 04:18 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 07 X-Star MCX
MC trailers of that vintage are pretty terrible, even if expertly maintained. Sorry to hear about your situation though. The dealer giving you a deal on a replacement trailer sounds like your best case scenario.
Old 06-13-2017, 04:18 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2007 X14 LY6
It's a bold strategy Cotton.....

Did the paperwork say "as is" or "with all faults"?

There are implied warranties unless the sale paperwork conspicuously says otherwise. The implied warranty of fitness might be applicable. If the seller knew you wanted to trailer the boat and steered you toward this one, or at some time said this boat trailer was operable and you made your decision based on that information then there is an implied warranty that the trailer would operate as expected. To sell something without implied warranties, the seller must include wording in the sale paperwork like "as is" or "with all faults" or something similar.

Last edited by TyTanium; 06-13-2017 at 05:13 PM.
Old 06-13-2017, 04:22 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2007 X14 LY6
3 of us were typing at the same time....sorry about the overlap of information.
Old 06-13-2017, 04:25 PM
TT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyTanium View Post
It's a bold strategy Cotton.....

Did the paperwork say "as is" or "with all faults"?

There are implied warranties unless the sale paperwork conspicuously says otherwise. The implied warrant of fitness might be applicable. If the seller knew you wanted to trailer the boat and steered you toward this one, or at some time said this boat trailer was operable and you made your decision based on that information then there is an implied warranty that the trailer would operate as expected. To sell something without implied warranties, the seller must include wording in the sale paperwork like "as is" or "with all faults" or something similar.
I would have to look. Bottom line is, they knew about the bad master cylinder as I drove off the lot, but said it was fine. After a couple months we realized it was more than just the master cylinder. We bought from a dealer to have some recourse. I feel like we are getting nothing at this point.
Old 06-13-2017, 04:28 PM
TT Newbie

Oh and I forgot to point out, the trailer also had 11 year old tires on it too.
Old 06-13-2017, 04:44 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2016 X30, 85 S&S
surge breaks are inherently jerky, so I can see both sides for sure.

However, buying from a dealer doesn't always guarantee recourse unless it is explicitly spelled out in the contract. Buying a used boat can always be a gamble no matter who the seller is.

was due diligence done inspecting the boat and trailer before making the journey home?

LONE STAR MASTERBASH 2017

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=77736

2016 X30-Wetsounds galore
1985 S&S
Old 06-13-2017, 04:55 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: Mastercraft, Prostar 205, 1994, LT1
Buying a used boat is like buying a used car. Unless stated with a warranty, it's really an as-is purchase. IF you determined the master cylinder was bad and they agree to fix under warranty, that's good. Finding out the trailer itself is shot later on, well beyond the purchase.....I don't think this falls under the promised "master cylinder warranty" offered by the dealer.

A trailer is much more substantial. Now, if they are offering another trailer that needs some mechanical work but is a solid frame for $2k, I'd be looking at that one. Re-doing brakes, bunks, carpet and new tires. Worth considering......

1994 205, LT1