Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 09-11-2014, 11:17 AM
TT Regular

Boat: None
Built-in Cooler Needs a Solution

Has anyone come up with a solution to the built in cooler on newer models that doesn't require a complicated method to get a coldie out of the box? Not sure how MC overlooked this but it's a pain. My kids need a second set of hands just to get a juice box.
The fiberglass built snugly around the cooler does look good but the function is terrible. Racking my pea sized brain trying to figure out how to add a gas shock on the seat without cutting fiberglass?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapat
Old 09-11-2014, 11:26 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2016 X10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scent of a mule View Post
Has anyone come up with a solution to the built in cooler on newer models that doesn't require a complicated method to get a coldie out of the box? Not sure how MC overlooked this but it's a pain. My kids need a second set of hands just to get a juice box.
The fiberglass built snugly around the cooler does look good but the function is terrible. Racking my pea sized brain trying to figure out how to add a gas shock on the seat without cutting fiberglass?

It also needs a drain hose w/shutoff leading to the bilge. It would be nice to drain water, add ice and more drinks and not have to remove cooler. Just a thought
Old 09-11-2014, 11:33 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: '07 X45 LY6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchuyHigh View Post
It also needs a drain hose w/shutoff leading to the bilge. It would be nice to drain water, add ice and more drinks and not have to remove cooler. Just a thought
This! Seems like it would be simple enough.

You look like I need a beer!
2001 Prostar 195 Sold
2011 Ski Nautique 200 Current
2007 X45 LY6 Current
Old 09-11-2014, 11:35 AM
MC Addict

Boat: 2006 20' Vdrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchuyHigh View Post
You just made my day! A shut off valve is genious. My boat has a built in cooler under one of the seats (not removable) and has a line that drains the water into the bilge. The problem is, as soon as water melts, it drains out, so it doesn't keep my beer... err... soda sitting in cold water. Once the ice melts, its cooling function is gone. A valve on that line would hold all the water in, and let me drain it when I need to. Definitely adding that to my to-do list over the off season.

As for the application for an MC, I'm sure you could add a gas shock that will hold the seat up. You could also add a line that drains down to the bilge so you'd never have to remove the cooler.
Old 09-11-2014, 11:45 AM
TT Regular

I think the only way to add the gas shock would be to make a cut out in the fiberglass. Something I am not sure I want to do. Wanted to see if anyone came up with a solution.

Old 09-11-2014, 02:14 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
You're talking about the cooler under the port side seat, newer boat right?
Do you have hinges on the seat cushion yet?
MC has done it 2 ways I've seen to hold that seat up. One is the gas shock which requires a little surgery. He other is an arm that locks open when the seat is pulled up. That one looked like no cutting just drilling to mount it, but it's been a while since I've seen them.
It's on my to do list as my cooler seat has no hinges. Have to remove it each time.
I don't use it for drinks anymore. Put lunch in that one and have another cooler in the rear storage for drinks.

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN
Old 09-11-2014, 02:46 PM
TT Regular

Mine has hinges. Will take a pic this weekend.

Old 09-11-2014, 03:44 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2013 X-10 6.0
Agreed it is a pita, could of been designed a little better for the money we spent on that hunk of fiberglass.
Old 09-11-2014, 04:32 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2013 X-30, 6.0L, 2500lbs of Ballast, 650lbs of Lead.
I agree %100. I end up holding it up with my head so I can go through the cooler with both hands. We need a group buy on the device to make this work, whether it be a small shock or locking support of some sort.
Old 09-11-2014, 04:45 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2007 Prostar 197
These suggestions are from the "There, I fixed it!" School of Good Enough, and not meant to meet the MCOCD Seal of Approval.

1. Remove the cooler lid completely and then glue some kind of gasket material to the top edge of the cooler (enough to "meet" the seat bottom). Now the seat bottom becomes the lid. Yep, your cooler is no longer original. . . but could be restored.

2. remove the latch off the cooler. run a strap from the cooler lid to the seat bottom so that when you lift the seat, it lifts the lid.

3. Put a big ol piece of velcro on the seat bottom and then another on the cooler lid. Lift seat, lift lid to velcro. Magnet/metal plate could also work and might even be better--upon closing seat, magnet slides off metal easier than velcro separates.

I don't have a visual on the seat to validate if any of this is feasible--and if not, there's prolly a duct tape option that'd do!