Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 04-24-2016, 07:56 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1988 Prostar 190
Automatic Temperature Shower Install - Cheap and Easy

I just installed a shower on my boat and wanted to share a couple pieces in case anyone is is inclined to do the same.

The previous owner of the 1987 Prostar 190 had installed a shower straight off one of the drain petcock locations on the block. As a result the only temperature available was scalding.

I decided to integrate a thermostatic mixing valve ($35 on Amazon Prime) so I could set the shower temperature I wanted and forget it. For those unfamiliar, this little device takes hot and cold water inputs and mixes via the same principles as an engine thermostat and delivers a consistent water temperature output - which can be set via a knob on top (no wires... all mechanical). They're often used in sinks and showers to set the max fixture output temp to prevent scalding (like when a hot water heater is set too high or when someone flushes a toilet while you're in the shower).

Thermostatic Mixing Valve

The other thing (in case anyone is in my same situation) is I've found "Dorman 627-006 Radiator Hose Connector" ($10 Amazon Prime) is perfect for Tee-ing in the cold water between the raw water pump and engine water pump. The output can be stepped from 3/4" heater hose immediately down to something smaller like 3/8" or 1/2" if you want an easier to run diameter.

Dorman Tee

Today was our first day out with the new setup and it was great. I'll add any relevant updates.
Old 04-24-2016, 08:03 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1996 pro star
Quick question....do you have a pump? Or do you use pressure from motor? Been thinking about adding this....can post some pics.
Old 04-24-2016, 08:06 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2014 X2
Where do you get pressurized cold water to mix with the hot?
Old 04-24-2016, 08:13 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: MC 2002 X30
got any photos
Old 04-24-2016, 10:57 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1988 Prostar 190
I'll try to take some pics next time I'm out.

No. No pumps. I just tapped the cold water between the raw and engine water pumps with the tee I linked to. Water pressure is fine if I rev then engine to around 15-1800 rpm. I bought a pressure controlled pump off of amazon for $20 and may experiment with it to see if it let's me drop the engine RPM a little (phase II), but so far rev'ing the engine for a minute or so when a skier get's in/out doesn't seem like much of an issue.

My main purpose was to point out some great, cheap, and universally available items that can be used to put together a nice system that's actually better than a lot of the kits. I almost bought the tee off of a well known supplier site for $40 before I took a gamble on the Dorman. It works perfectly for 25% the price. Also I'd have frozen this weekend because the supplier part wouldn't have arrived in time for me to install it for the weekend.

I had a few small bits lying around and the hot water line was already run, but I probably have around $75 in my shower which is way better than a lot of the kits (and better IMHO because you don't have to mess with mixer valves to get the temperature right). I'm happy to help out with any other opinions/questions.