Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 01-16-2015, 12:05 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2006 Supra 20V
Anyone have a Traeger Smoker?

Buddy of mine gave me a traeger (although used), and I'm trying to replace the hot rod in it since I keep blowing the GFI breaker on the startup sequence. The hot rod is bad, I already know that from troubleshooting the problem I'm having. Last night I attempted to begin removing the hot rod, but ran into an issue with the firebox. The 4 phillips screws that are holding the firebox on are rusted. I got one of them out, but the other 3 are rusted, and are stripping as I'm trying to remove them. I'm thinking I'm just going to need to cut these ones off, drill out the holes, retap them, and use new screws that are a little larger when I put it back together. Upon reassembly, I think I'll use allen head screws as they seem to be a better option than the phillips head.

Any suggestions on this process? How do I remove the head of the screw?? I can't get under it... do I just need a dremel and grind it off? Any suggestions on hardware to use when I put this back together that wont rust or warp due to heat/moisture?

Thanks fellas!
Old 01-16-2015, 12:30 PM

Boat: 06 X30
Can you get a small grinder or flapper wheel in there and just grind the head off the screws? Once the firebox is off you could figure out how to get the rest of the screw out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 205er View Post
I drink wine and whine about it being too cold to drink beer....
Old 01-16-2015, 12:33 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2002 Xstar
I replaced mine also. I sprayed some rust cutter on mine and came back the next day, they all came out. If yours are stripped the only option would be to cut off the heads, drill and tap. You could also call Traeger and see what their opinion is.

Not sure how much the Traeger has been used, but look at your fire pot also. I had to replace mine because it was falling apart after many years of use. It could be a good time to replace it since you will have it apart.
Old 01-16-2015, 12:46 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2006 Supra 20V
Yeah I think I'm going to have to grind them off and re-tap them holes. Bummer.