Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 07-21-2015, 04:38 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1993 Pro Star 205 LT1
Unhappy Glass replacement for "walk thru" part of windshield on a '93 205

I need replacement glass for the walk through portion of the windshield on my 1993 Prostar 205. So far Taylor Made tells me the original replacement is no longer available and gave me the contact info for Ocean Dynamics, who can custom make it.

Anyone have any thoughts about this. I thought maybe just a local glass shop might be able to fabricate it for me but there does appear to be a slight curve to it. Or maybe another member had to replace their windshield but the walk thru is still good and wants part with it?

If I have to have it custom made I will. Just trying to see if I have any other options.
Old 07-21-2015, 04:41 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1993 prostar 205/1985 stars&stripes
That one should be easily made by a glass shop. I would have to look, but I think mine is flat. Even if not, I think a flat one would work...

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk
Old 07-21-2015, 04:48 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 1994 Mastercraft, ProStar 205, 350 Indmar with 275 hp
Are you talking about the frame as well as the glass? I had my glass bust on me so I took the frame to a local glass shop and they fixed me right up.

Not sure the difference between a 93 and 94.

1994 MasterCraft ProStar 205
275 HP 350 Chevy Indmar
Monster Tower & PerfectPass

Check out the MasterCraft Buckeye Bash on Facebook!

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 07-21-2015, 04:53 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2014 Mastercraft X25 w/Gen2 and Surf Pkg.
If you get it from a local shop the glass will not be Tempered but will be raw glass. From a safety standpoint the tempered will shatter into small fragments and be safer than breaking into large shards of glass which can easily cut you or someone.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
Old 07-21-2015, 05:05 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1993 Pro Star 205 LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double D View Post
Are you talking about the frame as well as the glass? I had my glass bust on me so I took the frame to a local glass shop and they fixed me right up.

Not sure the difference between a 93 and 94.
The frame is all there and still good. Did you have tempered glass done for you?
Old 07-21-2015, 05:44 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Mastercraft Prostar 205
Call ocean dynamics, they'll give you a quote. The material they use is called, " Poly-cast."
Super high grade plastic. NO distortion, and it will be tinted. I used them. for my curve windshield.

A quality glass company, should be able to to provide tempered glass. For single small glass, you may have to buy the hole panel.

A cheap way, to do it. Go to home depot or lowe's, and have plastic cut to fit. It will eventually dull, (UV radiation, scratch) but it's cheap. (Don't use chemical cleaners on plastic, soap and water only.)

2004 Red/White/Black something or other.

Formally, 1994 RED Mastercraft 205, Chevy 5.7 TBI.
Old 07-21-2015, 06:27 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: changes every month
I have a whole walk through from a 2007 X1 not sure if this will help ??
Old 07-21-2015, 06:42 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 1994 Mastercraft, ProStar 205, 350 Indmar with 275 hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC FEVER View Post
The frame is all there and still good. Did you have tempered glass done for you?

I'll need to find my receipt to be sure but when I took it into them and told them what it's for, they told me what to use.

1994 MasterCraft ProStar 205
275 HP 350 Chevy Indmar
Monster Tower & PerfectPass

Check out the MasterCraft Buckeye Bash on Facebook!

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 07-21-2015, 07:26 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2014 Mastercraft X25 w/Gen2 and Surf Pkg.
Quote:
Originally Posted by etduc View Post
Call ocean dynamics, they'll give you a quote. The material they use is called, " Poly-cast."
Super high grade plastic. NO distortion, and it will be tinted. I used them. for my curve windshield.

A quality glass company, should be able to to provide tempered glass. For single small glass, you may have to buy the hole panel.

A cheap way, to do it. Go to home depot or lowe's, and have plastic cut to fit. It will eventually dull, (UV radiation, scratch) but it's cheap. (Don't use chemical cleaners on plastic, soap and water only.)
For tempered glass, the company will have to be tooled up to produce glass for the specific model (size,shape and curvature requirements) for the OEM or for the aftermarket business .
You cannot cut down already tempered glass.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
Old 07-22-2015, 06:00 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: No Ski Boat at Moment - Sold my X9 and ProStar 190 Summer 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC FEVER View Post
I need replacement glass for the walk through portion of the windshield on my 1993 Prostar 205. So far Taylor Made tells me the original replacement is no longer available and gave me the contact info for Ocean Dynamics, who can custom make it.

Anyone have any thoughts about this. I thought maybe just a local glass shop might be able to fabricate it for me but there does appear to be a slight curve to it. Or maybe another member had to replace their windshield but the walk thru is still good and wants part with it?

If I have to have it custom made I will. Just trying to see if I have any other options.
Fever-looks like a lot of good ideas.