Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 01-15-2018, 07:00 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1987 Mastercraft Tristar 190
Fuel Vent Removal?

Forgive me if this is the wrong area to post. I have a small issue with my 87 TriStar. I need to replace the fuel vent on the starboard side of the bow. It is missing the little end piece on it so it is now just a hole with a little screen in it. I do not see how I'm going to do this.

I am also open to alternatives or any work-arounds. I know water is going to get in if I don't do something.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated! Thanks for the help!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Old 01-19-2018, 10:14 AM
TT Newbie

Wow did I stump everyone? Lol still haven't figured out a way to fix this. I have a rag over it now but not super confident with it

Old 01-19-2018, 10:40 AM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
post a picture of where your vent is...
Old 01-19-2018, 06:17 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2015 Prostar (previous boat 2002 197)
fuel vent on the bow? I don't know what that is. (maybe same for others)

For this age of boat, there are usually:

1. On the top of the front of the boat (often near windshield but also can be closer to the nose) there are two air inlets.

2. In the bow, there is a bilge pump water outlet.

3. In the stern on top of the tank, there is a fuel tank vent , small hose like 1/2", usually with some kind of backflow prevention (check valve).

Does a Tristar have the tank in the front?
Old 01-19-2018, 08:00 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 93 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcorma View Post
Forgive me if this is the wrong area to post. I have a small issue with my 87 TriStar. I need to replace the fuel vent on the starboard side of the bow. It is missing the little end piece on it so it is now just a hole with a little screen in it. I do not see how I'm going to do this.

I am also open to alternatives or any work-arounds. I know water is going to get in if I don't do something.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated! Thanks for the help!

Amazon ==> fuel vent cover ==> Perko 0506DP4CHR 5/8" Straight Marine Fuel Tank Vent

Easy enough to find but I think you are stumped as well.... you don't know how to get to it....

The fuel cell is in the center section bilge of the boat. Lift the floor and start digging and follow the logical path of the vent hose to the vent. Keep digging.... it's there...where there is a will there is a way...

I have not worked in a Tristar but I speak nicely with a smile... That's all I would do is to start at the cell and follow it out. Has to be a way to get there. That said, a second approach is that the assembly may have a threaded neck (on the inside) and the vent cover may thread off. You could investigate and if so, buy a new part and substitute the cover from the new part, all from the outside.

If you end up taking the old one out, replace with new and a bead of %100 silicone to seal the opening. Done deal.

best luck
John 3:16-18
Old 01-19-2018, 08:24 PM

Boat: XT22
Yes the tristar has the tank in the bilge under the bow of the boat. Precursor to the KGB tanks I guess.
Old 01-23-2018, 07:28 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 93 190
Update?
John 3:16-18
Old 01-29-2018, 12:44 PM
TT Newbie

I have come to the conclusion I will have to cut out a port up front to access the vent and replace it. Fortunately, there are cushions that cover the entire front of the boat, so there will always be a cushion over it. Thanks for all the input!

Old 01-30-2018, 12:13 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2005 X2
I recall on my TriStar I had issues with water getting into the fuel tank via the vent. Bad placement -- it's on the side of the hull on the starboard side about even with the windshield. I forget how I accessed it but I turned the vent so that if faced towards the stern and that solved the problem. I think I was able to get to it somewhere under the helm.