Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 01-16-2018, 12:06 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2017 XT23 6000GDI, 1998 Prostar S&S LT1
Cool Feel and interior issues on new boats?

MY 17 XT23 which I took delivery on in May of 17 has had enough issues now that MC is going to re-do the entire interior vinyl in the boat. I am right now talking with them and my dealer on how this will all play out. I have a few questions for you all before I bring in the boat as MC is a bit tight lipped on what is going on with the vinyl supplier. They are currently wanting my dealer to install the interior at the cost to the dealer (which surprisingly they have agreed to do -- many cheers to Stancraft of Idaho and if you have seen the boats that Stancraft custom builds I am sure that they will do a fantastic job). My questions are as follows:
1) has anyone else had issues with the vinyl itself or did I get a bad lot? My cool feel black and cool feel corsair blue has some of the top coat peeling off showing a white base layer. This is in areas of little to no use and I only have about 30 hours on the boat. I am contemplating not going with the cool feel if this issue will happen again (like in after the warrenty period)
2) has anyone had issues with the install and stitching of the seams (I have the "X" top stitch). In primary areas on the boat, the stitching has already begun to shrink and pull leaving hundreds of little flaws where the thread goes into the vinyl. It looks horrible. This is mainly on the seat bottoms where lots of traffic happens.
3) I have lots of cool feel white in the boat and this is the hardest to clean material I have ever encountered. I have to use a horsehair brush with babes to lightly scrub before I wipe off... This is for any bit of "stain". Like a single foot print from a dirty foot leaves a stain. On my other boats, this would just wipe off. Mastercraft recommended using a magic eraser... I am sure that this will work, although for long term what will this do to the top layer of the vinyl?

So, go ahead with your comments... cool feel issues? is it worth it to try again? shouldn't MC pay my dealer to do the work that their QC did not catch?

Thank you in advance.

Michael
'65 Old Town Canoe
'98 Prostar 35th Anniversary LT1
'17 XT23 6000GDI
Old 01-16-2018, 12:13 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2018 XStar that's trying to be a 40th.
Wait........ they recommended using a magic eraser?!? Don't even think about doing that.....

Have you only used babes seat soap to clean it in the past?
Old 01-16-2018, 12:16 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Achilles sg124
You should do yourself a favor and have them install the good ole 40oz foam backed vinyl while you have the chance. All of these new vinyls like carbon fiber and cool touch will never last as long as the old chit. You should not have to replace skins on a 1 year old boat.
Old 01-16-2018, 12:17 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2013 x2
cool feel

we love our cool feel so far...

probably got 60 +hours on the boat this year. I had a spot where I scraped it with a sharp object that would have scraped anything and I can see the white base layer when I was installing a speaker and had a brain fart......but it is small and blended back w/ a little coloring - no one has noticed to date other than me that knows where it is

so far no stitching shrinkage although I didn't get the x stitch

all of mine is black...all of it - so no experience w/ the white. my dealer did recommend not going w/ white stitching just to keep it cleaner - but I do know sunscreen / sweat w/ sunscreen is a maintenance item I stay on top of . babes or hot sauce seat cleaner seem to take everything off and if something has baked on I use a soft bristle toothbrush to massage it a little bit and cleans right up

love the cool feel and everyone that's been on the boat loves it...I'd do it again
Attached Images

Old 01-16-2018, 12:18 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2013 x2
I wouldn't use magic eraser on my boat either.....
Old 01-16-2018, 12:19 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2016 X30, 85 S&S
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwozhog View Post
You should do yourself a favor and have them install the good ole 40oz foam backed vinyl while you have the chance. All of these new vinyls like carbon fiber and cool touch will never last as long as the old chit. You should not have to replace skins on a 1 year old boat.
The carbon fiber stuff on our 16 has shown 0 wear or wrinkles or anything. Much more robust than the old stuff on our 2010.

LONE STAR MASTERBASH 2018

Details released 12/17!!!!

2016 X30-Wetsounds galore
2017 Misty Harbor Tri-Toon
1985 S&S- For Sale
Old 01-16-2018, 12:26 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourFourty View Post
Wait........ they recommended using a magic eraser?!? Don't even think about doing that.....

Have you only used babes seat soap to clean it in the past?
Yeah, that was my thought as well... I only use 303 or babes. My 98 looks brand new still as did my 2010 X15 that I traded in. Never any issues with MC fit and finish until I spent over 150k on a boat...

Michael
'65 Old Town Canoe
'17 XT23 6000GDI
Old 01-16-2018, 12:31 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Achilles sg124
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC25 View Post
The carbon fiber stuff on our 16 has shown 0 wear or wrinkles or anything. Much more robust than the old stuff on our 2010.
This is what the owner of Mastercrafts skins told me and my buddy when we dropped his boat off there to have the vinyl replaced. Your 2016 is still a pretty new boat too.
Old 01-16-2018, 12:36 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 Mastercraft 40th Anniversary X-star
I think you might have a bad batch or something. It happens with anything that is mass produced and I am happy to see MC owning upto it and fixing it for you.

I have a friend who has cool feel and it has held up well with the use he has had all summer.

1981 J-craft 19 long deck ski boat w/200 Mercury Black Max (the gas guzzler)

2008 Touareg V8 Galapagos Metallic, Sienna leather, Execline, Technology pkg, Sports pkg,Class III hitch.

2017 Audi S3 Technik Ara Blue Crystal Effect with Advanced Handling package
Old 01-16-2018, 12:37 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvlx2 View Post
we love our cool feel so far...

probably got 60 +hours on the boat this year. I had a spot where I scraped it with a sharp object that would have scraped anything and I can see the white base layer when I was installing a speaker and had a brain fart......but it is small and blended back w/ a little coloring - no one has noticed to date other than me that knows where it is

so far no stitching shrinkage although I didn't get the x stitch

all of mine is black...all of it - so no experience w/ the white. my dealer did recommend not going w/ white stitching just to keep it cleaner - but I do know sunscreen / sweat w/ sunscreen is a maintenance item I stay on top of . babes or hot sauce seat cleaner seem to take everything off and if something has baked on I use a soft bristle toothbrush to massage it a little bit and cleans right up

love the cool feel and everyone that's been on the boat loves it...I'd do it again
Good to hear that your black has not had issues... although that white base layer is concerning. My X stitching is blue as the interior is white and black with blue welt and X-Stitch. It is hard to tell if any of the white is failing as.... well it is white. I will go to the dealer and look at the other fabric choices. Living in the NW, we don't really get HOT like in the south... maybe staycool is not needed.

Michael
'65 Old Town Canoe
'17 XT23 6000GDI