Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 01-23-2005, 08:51 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1990, Prostar 190, 351w
Hard steering!

Last summer I was driving my dad's 1990 prostar and I noticed that his steering wheel was alot easier to turn than mine. I also have a 1990. I didn't realize how stiff my steering was until I drove his boat. I was just wondering if anyone has replaced the steering cable, or if anyone had a suggestion on what I need to do to fix the problem.
Old 01-23-2005, 09:15 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '83 Metalflake Blue on Grey S&S Powerslot, 351W
Quote:
Originally Posted by nattylightmike
Last summer I was driving my dad's 1990 prostar and I noticed that his steering wheel was alot easier to turn than mine. I also have a 1990. I didn't realize how stiff my steering was until I drove his boat. I was just wondering if anyone has replaced the steering cable, or if anyone had a suggestion on what I need to do to fix the problem.
I had a similar problem a number of years ago. The shaft on the rudder end of the cable was corroded and lacking grease. A little clean up and lubrication solved the problem.
Old 01-23-2005, 09:36 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1990, Prostar 190, 351w
I know that there is a piece of hose coming from the rudder area with a zert fitting on the end of it, is this the same as your boat. I greased every zert I could find around there. It is hard to see around there being underneath the gas tank. Thanks for the advice.
Old 01-23-2005, 11:43 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '83 Metalflake Blue on Grey S&S Powerslot, 351W
Quote:
Originally Posted by nattylightmike
I know that there is a piece of hose coming from the rudder area with a zert fitting on the end of it, is this the same as your boat. I greased every zert I could find around there. It is hard to see around there being underneath the gas tank. Thanks for the advice.
Can you remove the floor panel behind the engine cover? If so, you should be able to see if anything is binding. Also, if you disconnect the connection to the rudder, you can see if it rotates freely.
Old 01-26-2005, 08:10 AM
TT Regular

Boat: Pro Star 190, 88", 351W, 1800Lbs for huge wakes
I have canged the cable with a hydralic steering.
Think that will be the ultimate solution!
I had to remove the fuel tank and floor but that was easy.
The hard part was to get equal stroke to both sides
Heres a pic

Old 01-26-2005, 08:22 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: '85 Stars and Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karsken
I have changed the cable with a hydraulic steering.
Think that will be the ultimate solution!
I had to remove the fuel tank and floor but that was easy.
The hard part was to get equal stroke to both sides
Heres a pic

this is bad coming from me, since I upgrade everything that isn't broken but: That is overkill. I switched out my rotary system for a rack and pinion, and was given grief.

People gave me a hard time b/c I went from 4AWG wire on my battery system to 1/0 wire, but you REALLY went all out on the steering.
Click here if you need prayer, or wish to pray for those who do.

Last edited by H20skeefreek; 01-26-2005 at 08:25 AM.
Old 01-26-2005, 08:57 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1987 Prostar 190 PowerSlot, 2004 22' Bennington Pontoon 90 HP Mercury 4-stroke
I replaced my steering cable about 5 years ago after driving my brothers MC and realizing how hard mine had gotten over time. This cost about $110 and took about 30 minutes. This really loosened up the steering... in fact it is just about too loose because in certain situations it will turn on its own if you let go (I think this is in the 15-25 mph range but can't remember for sure). I know some people then have used what is essentially a c-clam to put a little resistance in place but I haven't done that (although for safety reasons it should probably be a little tighter than it is).

As someone else said I believe the problem is little bits of teflon flaking off the cable interior and causing the binding. At $110 I didn't feel the need to try to clean this up.

Other options like replacing with hydraulic steering or rack and pinion would also probably solve the problem but would likely be a little more hassle than replacement with new OEM part. My $0.02.

Lance

p.s. Rambo marine can sell you the cable.
Old 01-26-2005, 10:25 AM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
How many zert fittings are there and where do I look for them. Is it a matter of removing the panel behind the motorbox and hitting them with a grease gun? Any pictures with labels would be helpful to this not so mechanically inclined boat owner.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 01-26-2005, 10:34 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
Doug,
My '96 has 3 greases zerks on/around the rudder/steering cable connection. If you remove the floorboard behind the engine, you'll be able to find them all pretty easily.
When greasing any of these components that are exposed to water, it's a good idea to keep pumping grease in them until you've pushed all the old grease out. You'd be surprised how much water is trapped inside the bushings or bearings getting greased. It's a little messy, but worthwile
Old 01-26-2005, 10:44 AM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Thanks, Thrall.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.