Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Waterskiing & Barefooting

Old 08-03-2004, 10:03 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 09 214 Prostar
Clincher Gloves

Anbody use these gloves?
Clincher Gloves
Glovers2

Just got these, and going to give them a try in about week.
Waiting for doctor's blessing to start skiing again.
Old 08-04-2004, 07:14 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: '94 PS205 LT1
Clinchers

Sully,
We use them and love them. Huge difference in endurance. My only recent problem is that I have recently started to drop one hand to turn and grabbing the rope with them is a bit harder, seems like one more thing to worry about. I bought a regular pair of gloves and am trying to wean myself over to them, there is a HUGE difference. The clinchers really do a good job of transferring the load to the wrist/arm.
But for the wife & others who aren't as aggressive, they are awesome!
Old 08-04-2004, 10:13 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 1999 Sammy Duvall 190 - LT1
I've been using them for about 10 years - Gone through 6-8 pairs. Awesome, but they take a little getting use to. I mostly like them for Footn' and Slalom, but even use them for Hydrofoil and Boarding. Like Ben mentioned, they are sometimes a little awkward when removing your hands for 360s and such, but you can get used to them. They sure extend the runs - as long as the rest of your body can keep up.
Old 08-04-2004, 11:45 AM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
My father in law absolutely loves these gloves. They're good for endurance in my opinion. But apart from his glowing reviews, and the ones above, I'll throw this on the fire ...

1. Like Ben said, if you let go, it's hard to grab the handle again.
2. You need to put them on when the only thing you have left to grab is the handle.
3. It was hard for me (nearly impossible) to hold the rope in your fingertips with these gloves.

The last reason I listed is why I don't use clinchers. The seam on the palmstrap is right on the finger tip. I was recently retaught to not hold the handle in the palm, but rather in the fingers. Since these gloves make it harder for me to do this, I went with Overtons pro skins III.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 08-05-2004, 08:51 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 09 214 Prostar
Thumbs up Thanks

Thanks for your opinions, sounds like they will work great for
me until I'm a Super Skier like E-Tex.
Old 08-06-2004, 10:29 AM
MC Hero

Keep propogating that myth.

Watching me on the course is, uh, er um, entertaining, to say the least. I love to ski, and strive to get better, but it's a good bet that you're skiing circles around me.

I have, however, been the recipient of some good advice. The thing about holding the handle in your fingers instead of your palm has resulted in no blisters in the last year (didn't want you to think I was saying that I had one finger on the rope and was parallel to the water or something).

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 08-06-2004, 10:42 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '05 PS 197 MCX
I have used them for years, but after trying a good pair of normal gloves, I won't get them again. For me, the glove material is too thin, and I feel it pulls too hard on my wrist. Also you have to put them on last, b/c you have no dexterity. They finally wore out so I'm looking to replace them.
Old 08-07-2004, 12:01 PM
MC Hero

DWE, I can't recommend Overtons pro skins III highly enough. Very straight forward, simple gloves. Check out the pros from the last couple of years. They're ugly and pink, but they're good. Overtons still has the old ones in Large and XL. Gladiator is making them now and I've heard both good reviews and bad about the new ones. Our ski school instructor liked the gladiators, but I've heard some other folks say they wear out more quickly than the old ones did.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

Old 08-07-2004, 07:02 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '05 PS 197 MCX
Tx--My friend has a pair that Christy Overton donated to some raffle that he won. I don't know if its the same model, but they were pink, were made of a plasticky wetsuit material, had a kevlar material that covered the palm and fingers, a wrist strap, and a strap that went across the palm between the first finger and thumb. The only writing I remember on them was "kevlar". Are these the ones you're talking about? I really liked his.

David
Old 08-10-2004, 11:01 AM
MC Hero

They sounded right until you said kevlar. The palms and fingers on mine were thick amara padding. They are the ugliest gloves in the world. What'd good about them is (a) they're easy to get on, (b) they fit very snug, don't move around, and don't bunch up. I had/have some HO kevlar gloves that worked well, but were a pain to deal with (I think they were talons). I like the proskins better. Some people shy away from kevlar palms because they think it wears down grip on the handle. I don't ski enough for this to be an issue though. I hear good things about the kevlar liners, but since I'm not having any blister issues as is, I'll stick with what I've got until it fails me.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club