Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Other

Old 01-20-2005, 11:28 PM
TT Newbie

Anybody Hydrofoil???

Just wondering how many skyskiers or airchairers are out there... I seem to be the only one I know whos close to me here in CT.
Old 01-21-2005, 07:57 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: '85 Stars and Stripes
I'd like to try it, but i'm not going to shell out 1000bucks for something I might suck at.
Click here if you need prayer, or wish to pray for those who do.
Old 01-21-2005, 09:11 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2004 MasterCraft 197 TT
Yea, I've got an Air Chair. A friend and I split the cost of a used one about 5 years ago, $250 ea, since we weren't sure how useful it'd be but wanted to try it. Ummm...since then I've moved a thousand miles away. I did pick up the 'chair last time I was through, so I guess he’s now gotta come here to ride it.

I find it to be a blast and a good diversion from slalom skiing. I’m proficient at getting up, cutting back and forth, and getting decent air. My next logical step is to perform a flip, something that’s probably a little ways off.

The good:
- You go a lot slower than waterskiing and it doesn’t hammer your body as much. You can truly ride forever on the thing.
- It still remains very unique. A lot of people haven’t seen one up close, so gets a lot of attention.
- It doesn't matter how bad the waves are, since this doesn't ride on the surface of the water. Big rollers? No problem. So fun to do, even if you can't find good water.

The bad:
- A lot of your slalom instincts hurt more than they help. The Air Chair requires a lot more finesse and you can’t muscle through a bad situation. I suspect if you’re good with a Wakeboard, this will come more easily. (I can ride a Wakeboard, but am not highly proficient.) Nonetheless, it was fun learning.
- When you wipe out, you can’t roll your body. You are strapped onto the thing. With slalom or footin’, you can learn how to avoid the tough fall by rolling with it. With the Air Chair, if you do a frontal – you just close your eyes. So you’ll ingest a lot more of the lake. That said, you’re going much slower – so no real threat of injury.

The ugly:
- Dang, the thing is big. Whereas I used to ski near my house and essentially leave from my front yard, I now need to carry my pull toys with me to good water. The chair and the fin take up a lot of room in the MasterCraft and it doesn’t fit in any storage compartments.

Last edited by Bongo; 01-21-2005 at 09:14 AM.
Old 01-21-2005, 09:15 AM
MC Addict

Boat: 2002 Prostar 197 w/tower
I have a chair and a sky ski. When I go out to the public lakes, it is all I usually ride! I agree it is alot easier on the body until you start going big on inverts!-Tex-

I'm pursuing my lifelong quest for the perfect, the absolutely driest martini to be found in this or any other world. And I think I may have hit upon the perfect formula :
Old 01-25-2005, 10:04 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 02' All Black X-Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbunDiga909
Just wondering how many skyskiers or airchairers are out there... I seem to be the only one I know whos close to me here in CT.
Here are several sites where you can find foilers:

www.floridaflyin.com
www.gamountianflyin.com
www.tnflyin.com
www.nwflyin.com
www.foilfreaks.com
www.hydrofoil.org
www.cinchmax.com

There are several others but that is all I can think of right now.

Cliff
Old 01-25-2005, 05:07 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Former Prostar 205 owner upgraded to an 05 Malibu vRide
Been at it for around 10 years now. Gave up slalom & wakeboard in that time frame. The better you get at a foil, the more unnecessary the other disciplines become. Speed, big air, unreal tricks, and you'll meet tons of people who want to see more or try it themselves.

Theres also the Hydrofoil list at:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Hydrofoil

http://airjunky.com

Used to be a dealer website near you, http://www.hydrofoilinc.com but I'm not sure what Scott is up to now days. He's located in New Hampshire.
Old 01-25-2005, 10:17 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1991 ProStar 190
Send a message via Skype™ to Laurel_Lake_Skier
We got one about a year ago after we talked to Mike Murphy at a boat show. I'd have to say it has been nothing but great fun. Even the early stages of learning are a hoot. As was mentioned earlier, old skiing habits seem to make getting the hang of it a bit harder.....the hydrofoil seems to have a mind of its own in the beginning. We had several kids get up and fly almost immediately. I'm still trying to get the hang of jumping it (actually its the landing part that gives me trouble) and look forward to the return of liquid water so I can resume my attempts at the landings.
Old 01-26-2005, 12:48 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 93 Prostar LT-1
I guess I should chime in here, I started out slalom skiing, knee boarding barefooting and then wake boarding. After almost 20 years enjoying the different water sports I was just starting slow down and pull the kids a lot of the time...that is until I rented a sky ski at Dale Hollow. I was hooked almost instantly and bought one the next spring.
You just can't imagine how much fun the thing is until you try it. You can hold on to the handle with one finger, the wings are like a air plane wings and fly just under the water with very little drag. It's a funny feeling to cross both wakes and not feel the slightest bump. The thing is I never ride anything else at all any more. I don't think I would have spent the money on one without knowing how fun they are so if you know someone that has one or if you live in NW Ohio and want to try one out let me know. My first summer I landed 2 different inverts pretty common, this year landed my first front flip. Is it spring yet!!!!

Keith
Old 01-26-2005, 09:43 AM
MC Addict

Boat: 2002 Prostar 197 w/tower
I think the idea is to get out on the water and do different things. i almost foil exclusivley(spelling?) on public lakes. Too many people just want to learn one thing(slalom). When I pull up at our privite site skiers make fun of me because I usually unload the following gear-barefoot, sky ski, freestyle jumpers, ld jumpers, one ski jumpers, slalom ski, and fully stocked ice chest. I never know what I will feel like doing once I'm on the water. Broaden the horizons. You might find something like foiling that you are nuts over.

I'm pursuing my lifelong quest for the perfect, the absolutely driest martini to be found in this or any other world. And I think I may have hit upon the perfect formula :
Old 02-03-2005, 03:31 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '95 Prostar 205 LT1
I am a little late with this post but oh well! I was a die hard slalom skier since I was kid. I went to a Fly-in (Hydrofoiler reunion open to everyone and all abilities) and learned from a pro. Now I can say that I still enjoy some swerves when the water is glassy but I am on the foil 95% of the time now. I love it!!