Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Appearance

Old 01-20-2005, 03:26 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft, 19 FT, 1986 S&S, 351 Ford
Ski Pylon and Gear Panal Finish coming off.

On my 86 MC the black is flaking off towards the bottom of the pylon and on the plate that covers the gear shift. Has anyone had any luck with "refinishing" these items. I'm assuming it's a removal of both and take them to a location to have the powder coated?
Also, Is there anything I should be aware of when removing the ski pylon?
Old 01-20-2005, 03:32 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1987 Prostar 190 PowerSlot, 2004 22' Bennington Pontoon 90 HP Mercury 4-stroke
Mine are the exact same but haven't done anything about either. Hope this thread turns up something useful. I would like to fix these items when I re-skin.
Old 01-20-2005, 03:46 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft, 19 FT, 1986 S&S, 351 Ford
Lance,
My exact plan. I have skins on order and looking at carpet.
Old 01-20-2005, 05:05 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '83 Metalflake Blue on Grey S&S Powerslot, 351W
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wortham
On my 86 MC the black is flaking off towards the bottom of the pylon and on the plate that covers the gear shift. Has anyone had any luck with "refinishing" these items. I'm assuming it's a removal of both and take them to a location to have the powder coated?
Also, Is there anything I should be aware of when removing the ski pylon?
I had my pylon stripped and re powder coated a year or so ago. I think is cost about $75. Removing the pylon is easy. Simply loosen the nuts on the two "U" clamps that hold it in place and pull it up through the floorboard. You can probably paint the gear shift plate with a good quality automotive matte finish.
Old 01-20-2005, 05:17 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '85 Stars and Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by tph
I had my pylon stripped and re powder coated a year or so ago. I think is cost about $75. Removing the pylon is easy. Simply loosen the nuts on the two "U" clamps that hold it in place and pull it up through the floorboard. You can probably paint the gear shift plate with a good quality automotive matte finish.

I thought about having the pylon stripped, then chromed, i wonder what that would cost?
Click here if you need prayer, or wish to pray for those who do.
Old 01-20-2005, 05:23 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by H20skeefreek
I thought about having the pylon stripped, then chromed, i wonder what that would cost?
Actually, the aluminum under the powder coating may polish to a chrome like finish. It requires a little more maintenance but costs almost nothing.
Old 01-20-2005, 05:25 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 Prostar 190
My pylon was scratched from having a barefoot boom attached to it and other general wear. I decided that I was going to strip it off and polish the aluminium. Turned out really nice. I didn't even remove it from the boat. I sanded all of the paint off of it with a palm sander and then polished it up with some Mothers metal polish. The sanding left little swirl marks on the pylon but I like the 'machined' look. I figure a little Mothers polish a couple of times a season ought to keep it looking good.

I'll take a couple of pictures next time I have the cover of of the boat.
Old 01-20-2005, 05:26 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by tph
Actually, the aluminum under the powder coating may polish to a chrome like finish. It requires a little more maintenance but costs almost nothing.

so you'd just strip it with aircraft stripper, then polish the hell out of the pole? I don't know if I have the patience to polish the whole thing, but who knows, maybe when I'm bored one day, I'll try it. But little projects turn into big projects for me.
Old 01-20-2005, 05:28 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianM
My pylon was scratched from having a barefoot boom attached to it and other general wear. I decided that I was going to strip it off and polish the aluminium. Turned out really nice. I didn't even remove it from the boat. I sanded all of the paint off of it with a palm sander and then polished it up with some Mothers metal polish. The sanding left little swirl marks on the pylon but I like the 'machined' look. I figure a little Mothers polish a couple of times a season ought to keep it looking good.

I'll take a couple of pictures next time I have the cover of of the boat.
that's exactly what's wrong with mine. there is a big area where the boom was that is bare metal, and has started to pit.

that'd be great if you could post some pictures!!
Old 01-20-2005, 05:42 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by H20skeefreek
so you'd just strip it with aircraft stripper, then polish the hell out of the pole? I don't know if I have the patience to polish the whole thing, but who knows, maybe when I'm bored one day, I'll try it. But little projects turn into big projects for me.
I upgraded to the swivel top pylon a year or so ago. I decided to sand and polish it. It takes a while but I just worked on it a little at a time throughout the winter. Here's a picture. It actually looks better than this. The camera flash washed out the finish a bit.