Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 03-21-2007, 06:24 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2007 X1
I have one on my drive shaft only. I wouln't do the rudder or the tracking fins to preserve performance.

I'd do some more homework before puting them on the aluminum brackets on the swim platform. IIRC they react differently when anodes are applied - I'm not sure using them helps in the same way as steal where the electrical current produced is expelled to and through the discharging anode as electrons are kicked off whole zinc molecules go right along since they need a ballanced outer valence shell. Aluminum on the other hand, as it oxidizes/corrodes builds up a protective layer on itself. The word Al silicate comes to mind...go try wikipedia ICBW. Just make sure the zinc and Al together don't accelerate the process.
Old 03-21-2007, 11:04 PM
MC Master Poster

UMP- Magnesium is highly reactive and when it comes into contact with salt water, it really goes nuts. The bubbles that come from the reaction are hydrogen and are highly explosive. Same reason lead/acid batteries have a warning on them about sparks and open flame- the bubbles that form during the charging cycle are hydrogen, too.
Old 07-29-2010, 10:15 AM
TT Regular

Boat: MC X1 07
any idea how to wire one of those?

X2SS

I'm looking to install one on my X1.
Old 07-29-2010, 10:58 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splash View Post
any idea how to wire one of those?

X2SS

I'm looking to install one on my X1.
Why do you want to install one? Are you using the boat in salt water? It's not a stern-drive, made of aluminum, which is more reactive than stainless or bronze.
Old 07-30-2010, 03:22 AM
TT Regular

Boat: MC X1 07
Yes I'm using the boat in SaltWater, in the Mediterranean Sea. My mechanics installed all the anodes, excepting that one. I was wondering if it is wired to the engine or to the external parts of the transom, like platform brackets, exhaust tips, or what so ever.
Old 07-30-2010, 12:24 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1986 190 power slot
I have an 86 S&S and I run in saltwater. I don't have any and I don't have any issues. The boat sits on the trailer but I will leave it in the water for long weekends.
Old 04-06-2013, 06:45 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2003 X30
2 questions.

1. If I use my 2003 X30 in salt once in a while and the same day run it in fresh water for about 5 minutes do I need sacrificial zinc anodes???

2. If yes where should I get them and where do they go???
Thanks for the feed back.
Old 04-06-2013, 08:18 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51timber View Post
2 questions.

1. If I use my 2003 X30 in salt once in a while and the same day run it in fresh water for about 5 minutes do I need sacrificial zinc anodes???

Zinc is less "noble" than aluminum but with bronze and stainless, you really don't need them.
Old 04-06-2013, 08:33 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Maristar 200VRS, 1995, Indimar 5.7, My first MasterCraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by 51timber View Post
2 questions.

I took mine out for a weekend last year in salt water. I left it in the water all weekend (about 4 days) and then when we leave I tow it to a local inland lake and let it run for 20 min or so and let it warm up etc etc. I brought it back to the mechanic to check it out, he said he couldn't even tell it was in salt water.

I think for one day you will be fine. I do suggest you hose off or dunk your trailer over and over again. Thats the part that will get ruined. Not so much your boat.