Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Underwater Running Gear

Old 03-21-2007, 02:15 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2006 X-Star
Unhappy '06 X-Star: Can't pull prop past rudder

I almost have the prop off, but the center hub part is catching on the rudder before I can can completely slip it off the shaft. Is there a trick that I don't know? Do I need to remove the rudder? Is the shaft extended out too far?
Old 03-21-2007, 09:04 AM
MC Platinum

Boat: 04 210 Maristar
There is no trick that I know of other than have the steering cocked all the way to one side. It's a finger pincher for sure but it'll clear.

Got a pic?
Old 03-21-2007, 11:03 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft, X-Star, 2006, MCX
The only way is to remove the engine mounting bolts so you can shift the engine, transmission and shaft to the front. Half an inch is enough.

Or... you move the rudder to one side and try to slide it off. You also have to turn the prop just right, so that the blades don't hit the top of the prop. If it does not work turn the rudder to the other side.
I have done it 20 times on a 06 X-Star when I was trying out different props. I did not even have to use a puller.
Old 03-21-2007, 11:14 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft 2006 XStar MCX
Ecelis
Which prop did you find that worked the best for you on the X-Star?
Old 03-21-2007, 11:46 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2003 X30 MCX - SOLD
Yeah, you have to kind of spin the prop into the rudder. I thought I was doing it wrong as well but once you figure it out, it's really easy.
Old 03-21-2007, 01:27 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2008 X-Star, Red and Black, L18
on my 2005 xstar i had to disconnect the steering cable from the tiller arm and turn the rudder perpendicular to the drive shaft. i originally had an 05 (stock) rudder on my boat but i put the 2006 rudder on and it is shifted more forward and there is no way i could remove the original 05 prop or put on the xmp edge 14.25 x 14.5 prop without disconnecting the steering cable and rotating the rudder manually, and even then i had to try a lot of different angles (about 20 minutes to finally get the new prop on.) maybe on the o5 and o6 hulls the rudders are not in the exact same location. does anyone know if the 06 hull has the rudder mounting hole in a different spot then the 05 hull?
Old 03-21-2007, 07:03 PM
TT Hero

Boat: 2005 X-STAR & 1993 Prostar 190 Limited
I think turning the rudder slightly may give you enough room. Try a few different rudder angles. If all else fails, disconnect the steering cable and turn the rudder 90 degrees, as someone said above. NEVER try to move the engine/trans. forward to gain clearance....this will really mess-up your engine alignment.
Old 03-22-2007, 04:00 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2006 X-Star
ecelis,
It looks like I have the exact same boat as you. I have worked spinning the prop and flipping the rudder around but it still hits. It may be as close as a 1/4 inch from clearing. I think I will try the suggestion of disconnecting the steering cable tomorrow to see if the rudder will move enough additional for the prop to clear. There must be some variability in the props they are using or how far the drive shaft extends from the hull. I'm suprised MC doesn't have any info posted on this problem.

My other big beef with MC is the pinched brake cable in the folding trailer tongue. It's bad design and I wasn't warned to be extra careful when folding the tongue back out. When I pulled out, the boat seemed heavy but I thought that I might have forget to empty some ballast water. I had the brakes smoking along the side of the highway before I figured it out. At first I thought the brake actuator must have stuck. After a couple of calls to me dealer I finally got it solved. This is bad design and looks like it could lead to a lot of problems.
Old 03-22-2007, 08:18 PM
TT Hero

Boat: 2005 X-STAR & 1993 Prostar 190 Limited
There's a brake cable inside the hitch? I've never folded mine or looked inside, what's the cable for if they're hydraulic brakes?
Old 03-22-2007, 08:34 PM
MC Hero

Boat: Gone
Quote:
Originally Posted by njskier
There's a brake cable inside the hitch? I've never folded mine or looked inside, what's the cable for if they're hydraulic brakes?
The breakaway cable is there to engage the mastercylinder, lock it and apply the brakes in case the hitch comes off or loose from the ball. The cable is suppose to attach to something on the hitch/bumper/frame other than the ball mount on the tow vehicle. I don't see a reason for the cable to be back into the area of the folding tongue hinge, as it should be hanging out near where the trailer tongue goes on the ball.

Quote: 2RLAKE,
At some point in time people need to wake up, remove their cranial intrusion into their own rectal areas, and take responsibility for their own actions.