Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Underwater Running Gear

Old 03-20-2007, 11:55 PM
TT Regular

Boat: None
New strut and the shaft is rubbing the log

Went to test fit the new strut tonight and it is way off center in the shaft log. So took the log out to see if it was mounted out of line and it was not. The shaft is down and to the starboard side of the boat. I loosened the strut bolts up and have decided it is almost like the strut needs to be shimmed in the back to pick the shaft up in the log. My gut tells me that is not the correct answer, but I don't know what else to try. My question is do you think I should see if my the dealer will swap the strut for another one? Could there be that much difference in the tolerances on new struts. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 03-21-2007, 09:46 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 205V
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrooks86
Went to test fit the new strut tonight and it is way off center in the shaft log. So took the log out to see if it was mounted out of line and it was not. The shaft is down and to the starboard side of the boat. I loosened the strut bolts up and have decided it is almost like the strut needs to be shimmed in the back to pick the shaft up in the log. My gut tells me that is not the correct answer, but I don't know what else to try. My question is do you think I should see if my the dealer will swap the strut for another one? Could there be that much difference in the tolerances on new struts. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks
This sure sounds like an alignment issue.

Les Grossman
Old 03-21-2007, 09:57 AM
TT Regular

MYMC,
Thanks for the reply. Alignment of what though. I dont see where I can align anything? The strut has only a very small amount of play in the seat it fits into on the bottom of the boat. Could you please explain a little further? Thanks
Old 03-21-2007, 10:18 AM
MC Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrooks86
MYMC,
Thanks for the reply. Alignment of what though. I dont see where I can align anything? The strut has only a very small amount of play in the seat it fits into on the bottom of the boat. Could you please explain a little further? Thanks
Like everything else about a boat this is built backwards as well. The location of the strut dictates where the engine and transmission sit. The alignment is done by adjusting the engine & transmission mounts. Mount the strut, and slide the shaft through, align the engine/transmission to meet the shaft.

Les Grossman
Old 03-21-2007, 10:25 AM
TT Regular

MYMC,

Got that part. My problem is not that the shaft and engine dont line up, its that the shaft is rubbing the shaft log when it push it through. I have not even gotten to the part of lining the engine with the shaft. I am trying to center the shaft in the shaft log and it looks as though the strut is preventing this. It is a brand new strut that was drop shipped from MC. I hope this makes my issue clearer. Sorry about the confusion. Thanks for you time.
Old 03-21-2007, 10:29 AM
MC Maniac

Call the shop here and we'll walk you through it...704-525-6660 ask for either Joe or myself (Joe is the service manager).

Les Grossman
Old 03-21-2007, 02:30 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2004 Prostar 190
Post pics and description of how you solved this issue once MYMC helps ya out. Share the knowledge.....

2004 Prostar 197, ACME 843