Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Trailers

Old 03-18-2007, 08:52 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft Prostar 197 2006 MCX
Trailer Wheel Covers and Trailer Storage

Overton's sells canvas wheel covers for trailer tires to prevent exposure to sun and weather. Are they worth the money?

I have a tandem trailer for my 2006 Prostar 197. The trailer is empty from April to October when my boat is stored on my boat lift. The boat is back on the trailer from October to April for winter storage. When the trailer is empty, should I do anything special to minimize wear and tear on the trailer, e.g. raise the wheels off the ground?

What are the best practices for storing a Mastercraft trailer when unloaded for extended periods of time?
Old 03-18-2007, 09:39 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2008 MasterCraft ProStar 197
Send a message via AIM to erkoehler Send a message via MSN to erkoehler
If you can keep the trailer out of the elements, that is your best bet. However, if you need to store it outside here are a few things to do:

-Keep tires properly inflated throughout the summer/winter.
-Clean the trailer, and apply a coat of wax before leaving it outside for the season.
-Spray down all the connectors with some wd-40 or similar product to prevent rust.
-If you can keep the wheels off the ground, that is ideal.
-Remove spare tire from trailer and store indoors.
-Torque lug nuts prior to each use after it has been sitting and check tire pressure.
Old 03-18-2007, 09:43 PM
MC Hero

Boat: Gone
I would say, yes they are worth the money. Most tires covers are sold for the spare tire, but if you want them to cover the regular tires while the trailer is unloaded, jacked up and off the ground, that would make good sense too, if it was parked outside in the weather. I would be sure to apply protectant on the entire tire to add some additional protection to keep them from drying out. Camper/Camper Supply retailers, sell tire covers that do not require the wheels to be above ground to be used.

Quote: 2RLAKE,
At some point in time people need to wake up, remove their cranial intrusion into their own rectal areas, and take responsibility for their own actions.

Last edited by TMCNo1; 03-18-2007 at 09:46 PM.