Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Underwater Running Gear

Old 01-17-2005, 08:11 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2005 Prostar 190,LQ9,SSrubrails,exhausts, Clararion stereo,depth finder, MasterCraft Cruise
Stainless prop w/LQ9?

Just saw my PS190 at dealer this weekend. Had to take shrink wrap off ourselves. I was under the impression that the LQ9 engine automatically came with a stainless steel prop, the one that is on there is not stainless. I know for a fact it was specifically stated in the 2004 catalogue, but it wasn.t specifically mentioned in the 2005 catalogue. Dealer said they spoke with MC at time of order and they said it did come with stainless prop. Does anyone know for sure? Thanks
Old 01-17-2005, 09:46 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1997 Sammy Duvall 205
Mine came stainless...
Old 01-17-2005, 11:07 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 205V
No more stainless...not even as a "service part" from OJ. Since they have moved to all CNC they have discontinued ALL stainless production.

Les Grossman
Old 01-17-2005, 01:11 PM
MC Addict

Boat: SN196
Send a message via AIM to rodltg2
i'll switch you, i have a pt 04' with stainless brand new used 17 hours.
Old 01-18-2005, 08:59 AM
TT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYMC
No more stainless...not even as a "service part" from OJ. Since they have moved to all CNC they have discontinued ALL stainless production.
So does that mean the CNC props are as good or better than the stainless steel props. I was under the impression that SS was better because they did not flex or distort as much as the conventional props. Just curious.
Old 01-18-2005, 09:47 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2005 Prostar 197 / MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamakaze19
So does that mean the CNC props are as good or better than the stainless steel props. I was under the impression that SS was better because they did not flex or distort as much as the conventional props. Just curious.
I wondered that as well. I know you are right about the advantage of s/s in comparison to the aluminum props found on outdrives & outboards, but I don't know how much of an advantage they are to nibral. Especially machined nibral...

Gene, got any pics from your trip to the dealer?
Old 01-19-2005, 10:22 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 205V
The CNC props are more accurate than the old ones as they are machined using much tighter tolerances. The Nibral bronze compound (according to the ZF engineers) is every bit as stiff as the stainless; however, it is much more malleable and less brittle.

One thing both ZF and OJ agree on is that there is NO performance difference in our boats between the two materials; that being said with the rising price of steel and the increased cost of tooling needed to CNC machine stainless it was economically justified to drop stainless from production since it would make no performance difference to the boat.

Les Grossman
Old 01-19-2005, 10:30 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2005 Prostar 197 / MCX
Quote:
The CNC props are more accurate than the old ones as they are machined using much tighter tolerances. The Nibral bronze compound (according to the ZF engineers) is every bit as stiff as the stainless; however, it is much more malleable and less brittle.

One thing both ZF and OJ agree on is that there is NO performance difference in our boats between the two materials; that being said with the rising price of steel and the increased cost of tooling needed to CNC machine stainless it was economically justified to drop stainless from production since it would make no performance difference to the boat.
nobody was thinking of offering a machined stainless prop were they?

Last edited by Ric; 01-19-2005 at 11:43 AM.
Old 01-19-2005, 10:55 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2005 Prostar 190,LQ9,SSrubrails,exhausts, Clararion stereo,depth finder, MasterCraft Cruise
How can I tell.

Quote:

How can I tell if it's a CNC prop. It appears to have milling lines/marks like it was machined and bronze in color. I'll try to get a pic by tomorrow.

Ric. I haven't had a chance to upload any pics yet. The boat was still in shrink wrap and me and the dealers daughter had to remove it. Quite dirty from the trip up here still, they didn't have a chance to clean it yet since they were at the boat show. I am pleased with it so far. The dealer is going to clean it all up in a couple of weeks and I'll get to go back and get some more pics. The stainless steel rub rail and bow trim cap look great, other than the sticky stuff from the shrink wrap. Got the right engine it it and stereo. You must be getting anxious for yours to arrive. I heard of your delays, I'm sure it can be frustrating but when it comes all those feelings should start to melt when you first see it. The dealer said she was watching my face as I was removing shrink wrap and said she wished I could see my face with excitement on it. Hang in there Ric, it's comin.
Old 01-19-2005, 11:35 AM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Quote:
Originally Posted by gene dobies
How can I tell if it's a CNC prop. It appears to have milling lines/marks like it was machined and bronze in color. I'll try to get a pic by tomorrow.
If it's got the lines on it, it's either a CNC'd prop or you have rats in your garage with sharp teeth!

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.