Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 08-03-2004, 06:42 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Maristar 240 1989 454 cu. in. 13/13 prop.
Throttle/Shift

Hey All,

I recently installed a new Morse shift/throttle I got from skiDIM, it's a MV-2 (the standard single lever with round ball) and yes, it's a vast improvement over the worn out "T" handle shift that came with the boat...it seems it's TOO easy to accelerate/decelerate as it wants to decelerate by itself....I've read and re-read the install instructions looking for some sort of "drag" control that would make it a bit stiffer but with no luck...anyone have any ideas...I've already removed the sring return on my carb and that seems to help but it still wants to slow down when going 1500 rpm or slower (at 3000-4000 it stays put pretty much)

Any thoughts?

Wes
Old 08-04-2004, 11:58 AM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
I'm sorry that I don't have a solution, but you might want to consider putting some sort of return spring on there. I got sick of the throttle return on my boat, too, but didn't remove it altogether. Instead, I got a less tense spring of the same lenth from Pep Boys. I seem to remember someone saying that if your throttle cable breaks, you'd want some sort of spring on there. BICBW.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 08-04-2004, 03:36 PM
TT Enthusiast

Maybe if I take the throttle cable and kink it a few times and then pour salt water down it that will provide just the right amount of drag I'm lookin for....just kidding

I agree with re-installing the spring on the carb...I just had to see if this would help...

There is a spring return thing in the actual control but I'm not quite ready to start monkeying with it yet...it's just such a vast improvement over the old one that I'm just thrilled to have reverse! as well as full throttle in forward...
Old 08-04-2004, 03:50 PM
MC Hero

Wes, sorry, I was talking about the one about midway down and back on the port side of the engine (below the carb). At least that's where it is on the 351.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 08-04-2004, 09:01 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quite allright, quite allright...my idle return spring is up where you'd expect it to be on the side of the carb (holley dual pumper) but someone's been stretching it so I'm not sure what the original tension is supposed to be...the shifter has something refered to in the install manual as a "dwell block" that apparently assures the engine is at idle while the shifter does the shifting - this dwell block is just a nylon sliding thing backed up by a spring that absolutely places the throttle at idle...perhaps this can be "loosened up" with some judicious jiggering....like I said, I'm not quite ready to garf up my new shifter just yet....Wes
Old 08-05-2004, 10:44 AM
MC Hero

A lot of people will stretch the return spring to get the desired result. Mine was so stiff that I couldn't stretch it. Not sure about the other part you mentioned.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

Old 08-25-2004, 05:07 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1998 Maristar
I had the same problem on my 98 Maristar direct from the factory. Dealer said it was for safety so that I had to keep my hand on the throtle all the time. I found it funny because none of the other boats that I have owned or driven had this great feature. I found that there is a clamp that is made to put tension on the cable. It costs about $10.00 and is worth every penny. Really simple clamp. I found it after talking to a tech at morse, who is now someone else. Check with Morse
Old 08-25-2004, 05:58 PM
MC Hero

Weird, Bob. My Father in Law's 98 Prostar doesn't have any return on the throttle. But maybe the previous owner took care of it. Sounds like you found a good solution though. The return feature is a little different on the GM boats if I remember correctly.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

Old 08-25-2004, 06:08 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1998 Maristar
I thought about messing with the return spring but someone told me about the friction on the cable is the best way, you don't want to mess with the throtle return spring. If the cable falls off or breaks you want the throttle to come back. Normal operation the vacuum will pull the carbs open without a return spring assist. If my childhood memory is correct......I learned this the hard way.
Old 08-25-2004, 08:08 PM
MC Addict

Boat: MasterCraft PS205 351 HO
BobL

Can/will you elaborate on this clamp? Can/will you offer a snapshot of the clamp? I think I would like to at least partially disable that wonderful safety feature.