Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Electrical

Old 01-16-2005, 04:44 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '85 Stars and Stripes
electrical problem

Ok, so my parents got me new gauges for the boat for christmas. I unhooked all of the old gauges, mapping out the connections and hooking up the new gauges exactly the same. The only difference is I went from an ammeter to a voltmeter. The problem is now when I hook it up, I get nuthin'. won't turn over, won't supply power to the (gauge) ights. at startup, the ignition/motor/start isn't looking for anything from the dash is it? the dash doesn't need to be working fully to complete any circiuts does it? I'm kinda lost on what could be messed up.

as soon as we get my boat running, I'll have pics of my new gauges to show everyone.
Click here if you need prayer, or wish to pray for those who do.
Old 01-16-2005, 05:00 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by H20skeefreek
Ok, so my parents got me new gauges for the boat for christmas. I unhooked all of the old gauges, mapping out the connections and hooking up the new gauges exactly the same. The only difference is I went from an ammeter to a voltmeter. The problem is now when I hook it up, I get nuthin'. won't turn over, won't supply power to the (gauge) ights. at startup, the ignition/motor/start isn't looking for anything from the dash is it? the dash doesn't need to be working fully to complete any circiuts does it? I'm kinda lost on what could be messed up.

as soon as we get my boat running, I'll have pics of my new gauges to show everyone.

ok ok, new development. If I attach the 12vHOT to the voltmeter, everything on the boat will work, but this means that the voltmeter will read all of the time. is this normal? for those of you with a voltmeter, it isn't on all of the time is it? wouldn't that run the batt. down?

for some reason the 12v hot has to be connected (I thought it should be 12v ignition)
Old 01-16-2005, 05:08 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1992 Mastercraft Prostar 190
To get the ampmeter to work, you need to run the main "charging" wire from the alternator up to the dash. It needs to run all that current THROUGH the amp meter, and back to "battery".

Volt meter. It should not be on when the key is off, and it will run the battery dead if it si on all the time. Follow the wire suplying power to the volt meter SOUNDS like it needs to be connecte to the key switches mai power "in" and then a wire w/keyed power needs to be connected to the volt meter.

-Tom
Old 01-16-2005, 06:57 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm861triple
To get the ampmeter to work, you need to run the main "charging" wire from the alternator up to the dash. It needs to run all that current THROUGH the amp meter, and back to "battery".

Volt meter. It should not be on when the key is off, and it will run the battery dead if it si on all the time. Follow the wire suplying power to the volt meter SOUNDS like it needs to be connecte to the key switches mai power "in" and then a wire w/keyed power needs to be connected to the volt meter.

-Tom
sooooo, if i'm switching from a ampmeter to volt meter what do i need to do? the batt. pos is running to the ampmeter, then there is obviously another wire carrying power back to the distribution panel. if I take that ampmeter out, how do I get that juice back to to rest of the boat?

ampmeter had 3 wires 12vhot, 12vignition and ground.

voltmeter just has 12vignition and ground.
Old 01-16-2005, 07:07 PM
MC Fanatic

O.K. I mis read your first post and thought you said that you were going FROM a volt meter TO a amp meter. I got you now though.

So on your old amp meter SHOULD have only had two wires, (or 4 if back lit). One coming from the alternator, and one coming from the battery. When running, the current passing through the ampmeter from the alt to the bat would produce a reading on the guage. It would have made sense to stack the main power wire on one of those posts (wouldn't matter which one), to power the key switch. The ampmeter shouldn't need power to operate or ground to make the guage function.

W/the new volt meter, all you literally need to make it work is a ground, and 12 v keyed power.

Last edited by Storm861triple; 01-16-2005 at 07:09 PM.
Old 01-16-2005, 07:18 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
O.K. I mis read your first post and thought you said that you were going FROM a volt meter TO a amp meter. I got you now though.

So on your old amp meter SHOULD have only had two wires, (or 4 if back lit). One coming from the alternator, and one coming from the battery. When running, the current passing through the ampmeter from the alt to the bat would produce a reading on the guage. It would have made sense to stack the main power wire on one of those posts (wouldn't matter which one), to power the key switch. The ampmeter shouldn't need power to operate or ground to make the guage function.

W/the new volt meter, all you literally need to make it work is a ground, and 12 v keyed power.
ok, so if I have the HOT wire that was going to that location, where do I put it now to make it work? I can make the voltmeter work if the HOT wire is in a complete circuit. Can I make it work without re-wireing the whole boat? If I have to, i'll leave the ampmeter in the circuit, but leave it behind the dash for now (trying to ski tomorrow)
Old 01-16-2005, 07:55 PM
MC Fanatic

The HOT wire going to that location should be a pretty big wire. 12g at least I would think. If it were my boat, I'd run that wire directly to the BATT. terminal on the key switch, thereby supplying power to the whole system.

Fom the RUN or IGN. terminal on the key switch, I would run a wire to to volt gauge and then run a ground. That should be it to make the volg gauge work.

Now with that done, I don't believe your alternator will charge, because the wire coming from the alt to the old ampmeter then form there to the battery will have been disconnected (by moving the BATT wire to the key switch). If you can locate that wire, you can stack it too on the BATT terminal of the key switch, OR pull it back through to the engine, and re-run it to the battery*

*By battery, that could be the +post terminal of the battery, the battery side of the starter solinoid, etc.
Old 01-16-2005, 08:19 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
The HOT wire going to that location should be a pretty big wire. 12g at least I would think. If it were my boat, I'd run that wire directly to the BATT. terminal on the key switch, thereby supplying power to the whole system.

Fom the RUN or IGN. terminal on the key switch, I would run a wire to to volt gauge and then run a ground. That should be it to make the volg gauge work.

Now with that done, I don't believe your alternator will charge, because the wire coming from the alt to the old ampmeter then form there to the battery will have been disconnected (by moving the BATT wire to the key switch). If you can locate that wire, you can stack it too on the BATT terminal of the key switch, OR pull it back through to the engine, and re-run it to the battery*

*By battery, that could be the +post terminal of the battery, the battery side of the starter solinoid, etc.
excellent, I'll take your advise. I'll let you know if I have any more questions
Old 01-16-2005, 08:24 PM
MC Fanatic

10-4. Hard to tell if I'm being clear. If you were here, I'd draw a diagram... If it doesn't work out, I can draw one and scan it.

-Tom
Old 01-17-2005, 10:55 AM
MC Devotee

Quote:
10-4. Hard to tell if I'm being clear. If you were here, I'd draw a diagram... If it doesn't work out, I can draw one and scan it.

-Tom
I attached the BATT to the ign. switch, then changed over the 12volt wire that was on BATT to IGN (supply for voltmeter now) and so far all of the gauges work when they are supposed to.

my only questions now is 1. will the boat start (should, haven't changed anything there) and 2. will the alternator charge.

so, there were 3 orange wires hooked up to the back of the ampmeter. If I assume one of them is my alt wire to tell the alt when to charge. If I leave these attached to the voltmeter, won't that still give the alt the info it needs?