Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-15-2005, 08:12 PM
tph's Avatar
tph tph is offline
MC Devotee
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Boat: '83 Metalflake Blue on Grey S&S Powerslot, 351W
Posts: 1,144
Intake Manifold for 351W

I've been considering upgrading to an Edelbrock performance Manifold for my Pleasurecraft 351W in an '83 S&S. Anyone aware of any issues?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-16-2005, 09:47 AM
BriEOD's Avatar
BriEOD BriEOD is offline
MC Platinum
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Boat: 2000 MasterCraft ProStar 205 DD
Location: Severn River, MD
Posts: 9,027
I have an Edelbrock on my 87'. I have not had any performance problems with it.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-16-2005, 01:17 PM
EricB EricB is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Boat: 77 S&S, 1983 S&& PS, and now a 98 Anniversary S&S LT1 PS
Location: St. Paul, MN & Balsam Lake, WI
Posts: 466
TPH:
I have an 83 and am thinking about a mainfold upgrade. Which manifold are you thinking about? I hear that under-hood clearance may be an issue so make sure there is room before you swap.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-16-2005, 02:23 PM
tph's Avatar
tph tph is offline
MC Devotee
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Boat: '83 Metalflake Blue on Grey S&S Powerslot, 351W
Posts: 1,144
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricB
TPH:
I have an 83 and am thinking about a mainfold upgrade. Which manifold are you thinking about? I hear that under-hood clearance may be an issue so make sure there is room before you swap.
An Edelbrock 2181 (see attachment). I'm concerned about clearance as well. I think there are low profile spark arrestors that can help. But that would up the cost of the upgrade. I'm also wondering if the Holley will bolt up OK. I'm not really interested in buying a new carb too. Maybe someone who has done the swap will reply to this thread.

P.S. I grew up in St Paul. Land of 10,000 lakes if I recall. Where do you ski?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-16-2005, 04:26 PM
Storm861triple Storm861triple is offline
MC Fanatic
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Boat: 1992 Mastercraft Prostar 190
Location: Park City, UT
Posts: 514
Get a piece of clay or Play-Doh, and plop a ball of it on top of your flame arresor. Close the engine cover. Open engine cover. See how much clearance you have.

The Holley will fit on the Edelbrock manifold w/o a problem.

-Tom
__________________
Thomas Kendrick
'92 PS 190
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-16-2005, 06:07 PM
H20skeefreek's Avatar
H20skeefreek H20skeefreek is offline
MC Devotee
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Boat: '85 Stars and Stripes
Location: Southeast
Posts: 2,372
Quote:
Originally Posted by tph
An Edelbrock 2181 (see attachment). I'm concerned about clearance as well. I think there are low profile spark arrestors that can help. But that would up the cost of the upgrade. I'm also wondering if the Holley will bolt up OK. I'm not really interested in buying a new carb too. Maybe someone who has done the swap will reply to this thread.

P.S. I grew up in St Paul. Land of 10,000 lakes if I recall. Where do you ski?
that's a beautiful piece of equipment, with I could afford the upgrade right now.
__________________
ITCHIN' TO SKI, LET'S GO!!
1985 MasterCraft Skier, Stars and Stripes
351W with PowerSlot and Perfect Pass
Click here if you need prayer, or wish to pray for those who do.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-16-2005, 09:42 PM
tph's Avatar
tph tph is offline
MC Devotee
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Boat: '83 Metalflake Blue on Grey S&S Powerslot, 351W
Posts: 1,144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm861triple
Get a piece of clay or Play-Doh, and plop a ball of it on top of your flame arresor. Close the engine cover. Open engine cover. See how much clearance you have.

The Holley will fit on the Edelbrock manifold w/o a problem.

-Tom
Great idea! Thanks Tom.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-16-2005, 09:49 PM
tph's Avatar
tph tph is offline
MC Devotee
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Boat: '83 Metalflake Blue on Grey S&S Powerslot, 351W
Posts: 1,144
Quote:
Originally Posted by BriEOD
I have an Edelbrock on my 87'. I have not had any performance problems with it.
BriEOD:

Did you install your manifold? If so, How did it go? I'm thinking about things like: Height (Hitting engine cover)
Throttle cable bracket mount
Coil mount
Carb adjustment
Fuel line connection
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-16-2005, 09:55 PM
bradamerry bradamerry is offline
MC Maniac
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Boat: 2007 Triton 176 Mag
Location: same
Posts: 4,266
Quote:
Originally Posted by BriEOD
I have an Edelbrock on my 87'. I have not had any performance problems with it.

Is this something I should look into??
__________________
Swaha Lodge Lake Greeson Akansas..... www.swahacabins.com
Merry Memories......... http://themerryfamily.site.shutterfly.com/
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-16-2005, 11:06 PM
BriEOD's Avatar
BriEOD BriEOD is offline
MC Platinum
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Boat: 2000 MasterCraft ProStar 205 DD
Location: Severn River, MD
Posts: 9,027
No, I didn't do the install. It was on the motor when I bought the boat. I had a new long block put in it and stuck with the intake. Sorry, I don't have any more specifics.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:43 AM.