Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 03-07-2007, 02:30 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 1982 Skier19, Powerslot, 351PCM
Kohler vs. Briggs

I think I am about to buy a new tractor to mow the yard, etc.

Same tractor is available with a Kohler 26 HP v-twin and a Briggs 26 HP v-twin. From past experience I thought the Kohler was the engine of choice, now several people are telling me to stay away from them and go Briggs.

Any input?

I am looking at Craftsman, was wanting a Deere, but couldn't see paying $1500 plus more for a equivelent tractor. I see Deere is now using Kawasaki engines on their non Lowes and Home Depot tractors.
Old 03-07-2007, 02:32 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 1982 Skier19, Powerslot, 351PCM
A search may have answered my question.
http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/sh...ghlight=kohler

Thanks Milk, you may have saved me.
Old 03-07-2007, 03:00 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 77 S&S, 1983 S&& PS, and now a 98 Anniversary S&S LT1 PS
Ski-King;
I deal with both engines in an OEM fashion. Both have their good points and both have their bad. As an average consumer use goes, either one will suffice and will do a good job for you.
The better determining factor should be the product as a whole. Pay more attention to the warranty and the ease of obtaining service for the product.
Old 03-07-2007, 03:02 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 2004 Prostar 209
I have a Scagg Turf tiger Zero turn. 26HP Liquid cooled Kawaski. Best $$ I ever spent. 62" cut, they have smaller models, but I have mowed 5 acres for the past 5 years with zero problems! Starts every time,takes 1 1/4 hour to do the job. Like everything else...you get what you pay for. The neigbor bought a 42" craftman and it has been nothing but JUNK! Sure mine cost $7000, but it will probably be the last mower I'll have to buy. Did I mention how much fun the zero turns are?????
Old 03-08-2007, 05:13 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: x-15
I have a kohler single on a cub cadet. It is strong but starts very hard in the cold.... now I keep it in the garage instead of a shed as I snow blow. I used to not like briggs and stratton but the new ones are really tough. I have a rototiller with a small briggs and straton on a troy bilt.. Stays outside rain whatever. Always starts used hard 5 years running. I would go with either but be aware there are several different qualities of briggs, make sure the cylinder is cast iron or has cast iron sleves.
Old 03-08-2007, 05:32 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Mastercraft X-30, 2006, MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mag_Red
I have a Scagg Turf tiger Zero turn. 26HP Liquid cooled Kawaski. Best $$ I ever spent. 62" cut, they have smaller models, but I have mowed 5 acres for the past 5 years with zero problems! Starts every time,takes 1 1/4 hour to do the job. Like everything else...you get what you pay for. The neigbor bought a 42" craftman and it has been nothing but JUNK! Sure mine cost $7000, but it will probably be the last mower I'll have to buy. Did I mention how much fun the zero turns are?????

I have the Hustler Super Mini Z with the Kawaski 29HP and love it. Startes everytime and I love the Zero turn set up. Only problem I have is I need a bigger yard.
Old 03-08-2007, 06:23 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2000 MasterCraft ProStar 205 DD
Bought a tractor last year and went with the Kohler. Heard some horror stories about B&S lately.
Old 03-08-2007, 07:02 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1996 FlightCraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by ski_king
I see Deere is now using Kawasaki engines on their non Lowes and Home Depot tractors.[/size]
John Deere has been using the Kawasaki enginges for quite a while on their lawn tractors. The one I got 15 or so years ago has one. As has been said, the general rule of getting what you pay for holds true for lawn tractors as well as boats. Just like I'd buy another MC, if I ever need to get another mower, it'll be a JD.
The world is full of youth—what we need is a fountain of smart!
Old 03-08-2007, 07:47 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2000 PS205/1999 Manitou 24' party barge
Kohler......
Old 03-08-2007, 07:57 PM
Leroy

It seems like BS has gotten their quality under control and in general doing pretty good.