Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 03-07-2007, 09:24 AM
TT Newbie

1990 Maristar 240sc

I'm looking at a 1990 24 ft. Maristar witha chevy indmar motor. The price seems right but I have a few questions for those in the know about this particular model. Is the 350 enough motor for this boat ? I have a 351 in my 190 and typical to me I always want more motor when it comes to the recreational side of things. Wasn't there a year(s) that the boat cme witha 454 ? Are there any problem areas that are particular to this model. The boat is in TX and I'm in CA so unless I want to pay for a boat doc to take a look at it I'm pretty much going by pics. Any and all info is helpful and it's almost that time of year to put away the snow planks and break out the O'brien !
Old 03-07-2007, 12:51 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Mastercraft, X-45, MCX
I have seen pictures of those and one with a 454. Trouble would be trying to find one. I had a 1994 225vrs and the 350 is plenty of motor. Bigger is always better but trying to find the boats with the big motors is not easy and they seem to appear when your not looking for them. The older Maristars are good rec. boats and throw great wakes stock and with Ballast even better. Would not be the best boat for skiing.
Old 03-07-2007, 01:32 PM
MC Hero

Boat: Gone
Quote:
Originally Posted by motomutt
I'm looking at a 1990 24 ft. Maristar witha chevy indmar motor. The price seems right but I have a few questions for those in the know about this particular model. Is the 350 enough motor for this boat ? I have a 351 in my 190 and typical to me I always want more motor when it comes to the recreational side of things. Wasn't there a year(s) that the boat cme witha 454 ? Are there any problem areas that are particular to this model. The boat is in TX and I'm in CA so unless I want to pay for a boat doc to take a look at it I'm pretty much going by pics. Any and all info is helpful and it's almost that time of year to put away the snow planks and break out the O'brien !
The 454 during those years was a option.

Quote: 2RLAKE,
At some point in time people need to wake up, remove their cranial intrusion into their own rectal areas, and take responsibility for their own actions.

Old 03-07-2007, 01:43 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 99 OB SportStar
Send a message via AIM to jraben8 Send a message via MSN to jraben8
Where in Tx is it? Someone down here may be close and available to have a look at it for you so you can determine whether or not it's worth pursuing.
Old 03-07-2007, 03:54 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft, 240SC, 1990, HO454 (425hp, 375???)
I'm the proud owner of a 1990 240sc with a HO454. I've had mine for 6 years and it has ~500 hours on it. Great boat! Wakeboard wakes tend to piss off guys with dedicated wake boats because mine is better than theirs for 20% of the cost. Skiing wake is ok if you play with the rope length. Cuddy cabin rules if you have young kids that still nap. Works pretty nice for my naps too.

Mine came from Lake Texamoa via Lake Lanier GA. then to Kansas City and now in AZ.

I would guess that the 350 would be a dog in such a big boat. Mine gets pretty nicely for such a fat pig of a ski boat, but the HO454 helps alot with that. Trailering, docking and picking up people at the dock are all a bit tricky with the closed/cuddy bow.

You've got to get pretty good at flipping it in place and backing it into the dock to pick up folks at the dock. I can spin mine all day and not leave the same spot. A long dock pole w/ hook is a life saver, until the wife lets the 2 yearold play with and drop it in 125' of water!

What is the price? If cheap enough i'd look at dropping a 454 in it. MC says 375 hp on mine.

Later,

Matt

You'll
Old 03-07-2007, 04:42 PM
MC Hero

Boat: Gone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L.
I'm the proud owner of a 1990 240sc with a HO454. I've had mine for 6 years and it has ~500 hours on it. Great boat! Wakeboard wakes tend to piss off guys with dedicated wake boats because mine is better than theirs for 20% of the cost. Skiing wake is ok if you play with the rope length. Cuddy cabin rules if you have young kids that still nap. Works pretty nice for my naps too.

Mine came from Lake Texamoa via Lake Lanier GA. then to Kansas City and now in AZ.

I would guess that the 350 would be a dog in such a big boat. Mine gets pretty nicely for such a fat pig of a ski boat, but the HO454 helps alot with that. Trailering, docking and picking up people at the dock are all a bit tricky with the closed/cuddy bow.

You've got to get pretty good at flipping it in place and backing it into the dock to pick up folks at the dock. I can spin mine all day and not leave the same spot. A long dock pole w/ hook is a life saver, until the wife lets the 2 yearold play with and drop it in 125' of water!

What is the price? If cheap enough i'd look at dropping a 454 in it. MC says 375 hp on mine.

Later,

Matt

You'll

IIRC, MC had 2 optional 454's, [email protected] 375 hp and [email protected] 425 hp.

Quote: 2RLAKE,
At some point in time people need to wake up, remove their cranial intrusion into their own rectal areas, and take responsibility for their own actions.

Old 03-07-2007, 09:49 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft, 240SC, 1990, HO454 (425hp, 375???)
425!!!

IIRC, MC had 2 optional 454's, [email protected] 375 hp and [email protected] 425 hp.

TMCNo1,

That is interesting because I always wondered why I came up with MC info that my engine was 375hp but when Indmar ran my engine Id number they said it was 425hp

Now I'm really pumped! I never really believed Indmar just because that seemed like an excessive amount of hp.

I didn't know that was even an option so I guess I'm inclined to beileve them now.

Motomutt,

If you are serious, go look at it. I flew from KC to Dallas and rented a car so I could go look and drive it. I ran it for 2 hours and took an oil sample for analysis. Smart move for any used vehicle purchase. Checks for lots of wear indicatirs and problems. Better than a compression test. Google it.

Later,

Matt
Old 03-07-2007, 10:39 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: paddle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L.

TMCNo1,

That is interesting because I always wondered why I came up with MC info that my engine was 375hp but when Indmar ran my engine Id number they said it was 425hp

Now I'm really pumped! I never really believed Indmar just because that seemed like an excessive amount of hp.

I didn't know that was even an option so I guess I'm inclined to beileve them now.

Motomutt,

If you are serious, go look at it. I flew from KC to Dallas and rented a car so I could go look and drive it. I ran it for 2 hours and took an oil sample for analysis. Smart move for any used vehicle purchase. Checks for lots of wear indicatirs and problems. Better than a compression test. Google it.

Later,

Matt
No offense at all but if you ran my boat for two hours you would have to own it first. Two hours is a lot to ask a seller to burden IMHO. Just saying...
Old 03-07-2007, 11:48 PM
TT Newbie

Wow, that's the coolest thing anyone's ever offered (as long as you don't swoop it out from underneath me LOL). It's in georgetown. the ad is on ebay right now. he says he has a new motor because the old one sat for 2 years and needed work ???? so he just threw a new motor in it. new upholstery too. Send me a PM if this works.
Old 03-07-2007, 11:49 PM
TT Newbie

the big question is : will a big block bolt in directly down the road ?