Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Trailers

Old 08-09-2004, 10:45 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 93' Prostar 190
Send a message via Yahoo to jake
Dan: what solution did you come up with for storing the boat off the trailer?
Old 08-10-2004, 02:17 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 81 Stars & Stripes
Jake,
This wasn't a problem for me, I will keep the boat at my dock for the week or so I need to.
Old 08-23-2004, 05:54 PM
MC Fanatic

I finished sandblasting and painting this weekend.
A couple things I have learned;
1 - Sandblasting takes longer than I thought, about 7 hours includind reclaiming and sifting the 200 lbs of sand I purchased.
2- Sand gets everywhere, wear a hood, ear plugs, and good quality respirator.

Painting went fairly well, I painted a coat of chassis saver paint followed by the final coat of white paint. Putting the trailer on its' side was the easiest way to get the bottom done.

Now I need to put new bunks on and install the fenders and lights.
Old 08-24-2004, 12:30 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
You may need to employ a little mechanical advantage if you're replacing the bunk wood to get it to line up on the front angle irons. Once you get it lined up right, bolting it down should give you the twist you need. I also recommend two layers of carpet on the top and inside of the bunk as extra insurance. The boat can score and fuse the carpet causing it to weaken in these locations. I'd suggest carpeting only the top and inside first, then wrapping the entire bunk with the second layer. Also, don't forget the stainless staples. Just a little heads up/FYI

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 08-24-2004, 03:15 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1994 MasterCraft ProStar 205
This has nothing to do with trailer refurb, but is related to sandblasting. I used to work with a guy who insisted on doing everything the hard way. When he got ready to repaint his house he rented a sandblaster to remove the old paint. Apparently the sandblaster sent a pretty good cloud of sand into the air around the house, because so much sand wound up in his neighbor's gutters that the next time it rained the gutters were torn off the house. He repaired the gutters for them, but I think about that story every time I hear someone mention a sandblaster.

1994 MasterCraft ProStar 205, 275hp EFI -- Original Owner
Old 08-26-2004, 03:31 PM
MC Fanatic

CaptKidd,
I saw them blast a log home near my cottage. They used corn instead of sand. The noise form this operation could be heard for a long ways.
I couldn't help but wonder if they had a huge bird/mouse problem after spraying that much corn around.
Old 08-28-2004, 01:32 PM
MC Hero

Just happened to notice that the lock nut on the lag bolt securing my v-block was about 1/3 of the way down the bolt. After tightening it up, I checked the rest, and every lock nut was a little loose (but not as bad as the first). When I secured my bunks, the boat wasn't on the trailer. I'm guessing, the weight of the boat pushed the bunks down a tad and left some more space to be closed on the nut. All tight now. Check your nuts.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 08-30-2004, 12:17 PM
MC Fanatic

I put nylon lock nuts on all the bunk bolts, hopefully this helps.
Old 09-01-2004, 12:08 PM
MC Hero

Mine were all nylon lock nuts new as of April or so. I really think I just never tightened once the boat was in place after replacing the bunks.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

Old 09-02-2004, 11:39 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1992 Prostar 190-Its red
Cool

We are getting into the process of grinding the rust off our trailer. We dont really want to do the whole thing now because its not that bad. I've been under the boat with a dremel tool grinding off the rust from the stone chips. Its slow going but i think it will be worth it in the long run.

92 PS190 - Its red.