Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Trailers

Old 03-05-2007, 02:57 PM
CTRider

Oil Bath Hub leaking

I was towing a friends 05 X-Star this weekend and when we arrived at his house one of the trailers Oil Bath Hubs was leaking all over the rim and tire. Not ever dealing with these types of Hubs before what are some of the things to check so we can find the problem.

Thanks
Kevin
Old 03-05-2007, 03:33 PM
MC Hero

Boat: Gone
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTRider
I was towing a friends 05 X-Star this weekend and when we arrived at his house one of the trailers Oil Bath Hubs was leaking all over the rim and tire. Not ever dealing with these types of Hubs before what are some of the things to check so we can find the problem.

Thanks
Kevin

Is it still under warranty, if yes, take it to the dealer for repairs. Otherwise, get a replacement cap if that is what is leaking and replace it.

Quote: 2RLAKE,
At some point in time people need to wake up, remove their cranial intrusion into their own rectal areas, and take responsibility for their own actions.

Old 03-05-2007, 05:58 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2005 MasterCraft ProStar 197, MCX
I had the caps off my '05 trailer last season to change the oil...I can't recall now if there was an o-ring on the cap or not, but that may be the culprit. If not the only place it could be leaking is from the seal on the inside of the hub. Either is an easy fix if you discover it's not covered under warranty.

To get the rear seal out you'll need to jack up that side, remove the wheel, unscrew the oil cap and drain oil, remove cotter key and nut holding bearings in, and finally remove the hub assembly. There will be an inner and outer bearing. The inner bearing is held in by the grease/oil seal. You can pry the inner seal out with a large screw driver but be careful you don't gall the inside of the hub with the screw driver. If you take the old seal into NAPA or auto parts store, they can usually get a number off it and you're able to purchase on there, or other parts depot. Tap in a new seal with a hammer and a block of wood making sure the seal is "square" in the housing. When is comes time to tighten the nut again, snug it down by hand with an adjustable wrench or channel lock while spinning the hub. Just get it snug...then back off the nut (without moving the hub), and HAND tighten with your fingers again. If the hole doesn't line up for the cotter pin, LOOSEN the nut a little 'till you can. Put oil cap on and fill with 50W motor oil = you're done. NOTE: I'd be sure you can get the oil fill plug out first - it's located in the middle of the hub and sometimes the allen wrench screw can get corroded and be a bugger to get out.

Sorry if I provided too much detail - maybe it will help someone else out otherwise. Good luck!
Old 03-05-2007, 05:59 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2003 Prostar 209, MCX, custom ballast, tower
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTRider

Thanks
Kevin
Basics to look at;
1. Small allen screw plug in the fill hole (in the side of the end cap)
2. End cap seal
3. cracked site glass
4. Blown bearing seal

Clean it up and you should be able to evaluate 1-3 by visual inspection or if it starts leaking when just sitting.
Odds are it is the bearing seal.
Old 03-05-2007, 06:03 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2005 MasterCraft ProStar 197, MCX
Forgot...you only need to fill the hubs up about half way, or to the logo on the cap. I've found that a clear plastic squeeze bottle (can be bought at Wal-Mart for about .50 - they look like ketchup bottles used in restaurants, with the pointy ends) works great for getting oil into the fill plug hole.
Old 03-06-2007, 08:51 AM
CTRider

Thanks for all your help. We will take a look at the things you all mentioned.

Kevin