Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Appearance

Old 02-05-2013, 09:42 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: MasterCraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipe View Post
I'm always open to ideas especially when it's cost effective. That's why we are here on TT.
The Starbright method is the first I tried and it worked, but it does cost about $18.00 for each of the three steps. What are the proportions of your mixture? My Nautique lasted two years without a reapplication; on a lift under a conopy. So the next time I would try the linseed oil/mineral spirits mixture and see how that works in Wisconsin.
Some say 80/20 (Linseed 80% / 20% mineral spirits). I chose 75/25 and was pleased. About a pint and one half did both sides on my board, two coats each side. Cheap brush and patience. Your mileage may vary.

Prep the board in any manner you choose. I didn't do anything to mine other than to clean.

The one trick I have read and also discovered after use is to put on a coat and let it soak for a couple of hours, tops. Wipe the excess off thoroughly and let the board set for another two days to completely dry. Repeat again after drying and apply a second coat (not saturate but apply to cover the board) and let that set for about two hours and wipe the excess thoroughly. Let dry for two days. Flip it and do the same on the other side. Seems tedious but the trick is to wipe the excess after just a couple of hours.

No guarantees but I speak from satisfactory results with this method and material, as you can see in the picture. Other threads and posts here with similar testimony.

$0.02

Hose picture (internal) http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...68&postcount=8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
..Some of you give a whole new meaning to the phrase "another @sshole with a Mastercraft."

RE: Thrall, Welcome to the club....
NEW SKINS in TN... Leading Edge Marine Interior

feedback on a TN company: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=58767

Old 02-05-2013, 09:46 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1990 mastercraft p190
Maybe I put to heavy of coats on mine.. I mixed linseed oil and mineral sprits 75/25, first coat looked great wet but soaked in and the wood was about halfway back to its old look.. I'll let it set a couple weeks and decide from there

Tapatalk
Old 02-05-2013, 09:50 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: MasterCraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by clrussell View Post
Maybe I put to heavy of coats on mine.. I mixed linseed oil and mineral sprits 75/25, first coat looked great wet but soaked in and the wood was about halfway back to its old look.. I'll let it set a couple weeks and decide from there

Tapatalk
Your board looks good. Be patient with it and you'll find the right combo. I'd also venture to say that different wood on different boards, and other variables provides different results.

Hose picture (internal) http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...68&postcount=8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
..Some of you give a whole new meaning to the phrase "another @sshole with a Mastercraft."

RE: Thrall, Welcome to the club....
NEW SKINS in TN... Leading Edge Marine Interior

feedback on a TN company: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=58767

Old 02-05-2013, 10:14 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1990 mastercraft p190
Thanks, I'll try to get a better picture tomorrow of how dark it is.. Might just be me!

Tapatalk
Old 02-05-2013, 10:38 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 Maristar 210 Predator
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2oskifreak View Post
I did 150 then 220 grit sanding and one very heavy coat of Starbright Gold. It looks good, drying a little more in some places than others, but it looks fair to this point. Some say "wetsand" with 400 grit before another coat. Some say clean with mineral spirits and 00 Steel Woo before next coat. I am thinking about putting another coat of Starbright with the Steel Wool as an applicator? Any thoughts on why this is a good or bad idea?
From what I have read, little bits of the steel wool could break off and get into the grain of the teak, which would then rust and cause the teak to permanently stain. Some people use it and seem to have no problems though.
Old 02-06-2013, 06:32 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1998 ProStar 190
+1 on the steel wool. I think it would be hard not to snag some of the wool on these boards.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:29 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft, X15, 2007, MCX, Acme 5 Blade, Pair of WetSounds Rev410's, WetSounds SD6, 2 JL 12w6v2 subs in sealed box, JL HD750/1, WS402SQ
Brass wool is what works best without the stains
Old 02-06-2013, 07:33 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1998 ProStar 190
That makes sense if you want to sand. I don't like sanding; so I don't.
At the risk of sounding a little (or a lot) stupid, wouldn't that get to be be a little slippery??
Old 02-06-2013, 09:41 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 Mastercraft X1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyskiguy View Post
Hey all,
Still looking for anyone out west who might be interested in swapping their teak platform for my black fiberglass - '06 X30. Any interest or leads, let me know. Thanks.
If an X1 is the same I would be interested maybe but Utah is a long way from Texas.
Old 02-07-2013, 12:09 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 X30
Quote:
Originally Posted by monsterwake View Post
If an X1 is the same I would be interested maybe but Utah is a long way from Texas.
And I don't think the X1 and X30 use the same swim deck - but thanks!