Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Appearance

Old 01-11-2015, 08:25 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: MC Stars and Stripes, 1985, PCM 351
What Wax/Polish does everyone use and Why?

I have used all sorts of different waxes through the years on my sailboats back in Michigan, but I have never found a wax that I believe makes a tremendous difference. I know there is a difference between polishes and waxes, but I still am a wee bit confused on the subject. What do you all of you use? What works, and what does not? I have 85 Stars and Stripes that has been wet sanded a few years back, and it does looks good, but I am always trying to get it to look just right and shiny. Thoughts?
Old 01-11-2015, 08:52 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1986 Mastercraft Slot
I use Collinite Fleetwax on mine. It seems to hold up very well. This year I applied it in the spring after a complete wet sand and compound. I had no trouble with stains or water spots all year. I applied a fresh coat this fall after winterizing.
Old 01-11-2015, 09:02 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1988 ProStar 200, 1991 Mercury 2.5L 200hp XRi Outboard
I had been using Meguair's Flagship with good results then tried McLube Hullkote Speed Wax late Summer and thoroughly impressed with it. Water seems to jump off the boat making for quick spot-free wipe downs after pulling it out of the water (definite plus with the hard water here in Central Texas). The Hullkote has citrus for cleaning power and makes quick work of any road grime including oil/tar from trailering.

http://www.mclubemarine.com/hullkote/
Old 01-11-2015, 09:04 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2007 Maristar 200VRS X2
I have been using Meguiars Flagship Wax for the last couple years and been happy with it.
Old 01-11-2015, 09:08 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2014 Mastercraft X25 w/Gen2 and Surf Pkg.
Footin,
I bought this wax (Mequiars) for my new X25 but haven't had the chance to try it yet. Does it come off fairly easy??
Old 01-11-2015, 09:13 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2007 Maristar 200VRS X2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwag1961 View Post
Footin,
I bought this wax (Mequiars) for my new X25 but haven't had the chance to try it yet. Does it come off fairly easy??
Yes, on and off easy. Apply thin.
Old 01-11-2015, 09:15 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2014 Mastercraft X25 w/Gen2 and Surf Pkg.
Thanks for the info Footin. Sorry to jump in on your post Sam!!

Go Bucks!
Old 01-11-2015, 09:38 PM
MC Devotee

Polish

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS&S85 View Post
I have used all sorts of different waxes through the years on my sailboats back in Michigan, but I have never found a wax that I believe makes a tremendous difference. I know there is a difference between polishes and waxes, but I still am a wee bit confused on the subject. What do you all of you use? What works, and what does not? I have 85 Stars and Stripes that has been wet sanded a few years back, and it does looks good, but I am always trying to get it to look just right and shiny. Thoughts?

It depends on what you want to accomplish? Based off your post it seems as if it's nice, clean and shiny, but you want to make sure it stays this way. It sounds like you're looking for a good sealer, not polish or wax.

Here's kind of a quick breakdown on what each does.

wet sand- takes the top coat off, will remove blemishes and oxidation that are found at the top
compound - same as wet sand just not as abrasive
polish - made to enhance the shine (not made to remove oxidation or blemishes)
Sealer - produced to seal up the pores so the work you done will last (the better the product the longer it last)

A good resource is autogeek forum. You'll be able to see lots of results.
Old 01-11-2015, 11:32 PM
TT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwag1961 View Post
Thanks for the info Footin. Sorry to jump in on your post Sam!!

Go Bucks!
No Problem! I have used Flagship myself on my sailboat after it had new paint. Really loved it for that application. I could have shaved using my reflection in the hull. However, I have not used it yet for the S&S. Curious if there is anything else out there. Paste wax vs. liquid? I used to work at West Marine in Michigan, and I thought I had a handle on all the differences but I find myself lost. There are tons of opinions! That is why I am seeking out those who have experience and can tell me what works and what does not. Ugg, there is to much!
Old 01-11-2015, 11:37 PM
TT Newbie

Thanks for the thoughts JGraham! There is a slight haze from last summer, and a few little scratches here and there. I have never heard of a sealer in regards to gelcoat? What do you mean by a sealer and do have any examples? Thanks much!