Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Appearance

Old 11-28-2014, 04:32 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: '95 Maristar 200 VRS
"95 Maristar Dashpanels

I am trying to replace my 1995 Maristar dash panels. This is a bit of a pain however does anyone know how to het the rocker switches off the dash panel?
Attached Images

Old 11-28-2014, 04:51 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1998 Maristar 200VRS
The switches are a "squeeze fit" from the front. Those three parallel ribs on each switch that you show in the first picture are bowed out from the body of the switch (actually, probably only the two outside ones are). When you push the switch in from the front, the ribs collapse against the body of the switch, the switch slides into place, and the ribs bulge back out to hold the switch in place.

To remove, use a pair of pliers or channels locks to just squeeze the ribs up against the body of the switch, and push the switch out the front of the panel. Don't squeeze too hard, or you'll break the switch; just enough to flatten the ribs.
Old 11-28-2014, 08:22 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: mastercraft prostar 190 1992 w/powerslot
based on my experience with brittle 20 year old plastic order new ones
Old 11-28-2014, 08:28 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1997 Maristar 225 VRS
Do you know where these are available?
Old 11-28-2014, 10:44 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1998 Maristar 200VRS
It would be hard to argue with atihanyi's point. Try and take them out - if you break them, then you'll have to look for new ones.

Look on the side of the switch - there will be a manufacturers name, and probably a part number. Google is your friend, then.
There are a million different styles of rocker switches like that; if you're trying to exactly match those switches, hopefully someone has already done the legwork to identify them and find a supplier. Otherwise, you could update the look (first Amazon result is this).
Old 11-28-2014, 11:48 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1988 Prostar 190
I had this link saved. They are supposedly a direct replacement for the factory switches.
These aren't identical, but they're a similar look, and lighted. Good price on them here.

I do like the idea of going with a more modern look- could be a nice upgrade.
G
Old 12-02-2014, 07:31 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1994 Maristar 225
kla what are you using for the replacement panels. PO of my 94 started replacing my dash panels with white starboard but I don't really care for the look.
Old 12-02-2014, 10:07 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1988 Prostar 190
Don't know if it's appropriate to say, but I make replacement panels. Link.
PM me for info.
G
Old 12-04-2014, 07:01 PM
TT Newbie

Well...

I am selling the boat next spring and w the dash cracked I decided it would be nice thing for me to do for the next owner. I had always wanted to replace them and just had not got around to it. I traded emails w Mike Hood <somesailor@gmail.com> at http://aplusmobilegraphics.com/ . Looks like he has done some good work. The rest of the story is that I started pulling the dash off and it started to turn into a trade off of how much damage I was willing to do to fix it. Some of the screws turned freely so it was going to be a pain to get them out. It looked like the 19 yo switches were going to break before they came out. I decided to let the next owner fix that.

Mine was a 4 panel deal and he quoted 220-270 which sounded pretty reasonable for a professional looking replacement.

Good luck and if you know anyone that wants a good used MC, send them my way.
Old 08-09-2015, 06:57 PM
TT Newbie

Update

I still have the boat and has not been on the water as I have been working on the dash panels. I got a very nice replacement panel from gweaver. However I am having a problem.

The screws that hold the panel screw into some kind of molded in nut/device. A few have fallen out about half just turn freely instead of being secure. How have others dealt with this in the past?

Thx