Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Appearance

Old 06-09-2016, 04:37 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2014 X-Star 7.4L Past: '99 Prostar 195, '01 X-Star, '07 X-Star
First Battle Wound!

Hey Everyone,

I was out detailing boat last night and came across a nice little gouge! I am not 100% sure how this happened but my assumption is that it was caused by the worn out dock that I tie the boat up to at the Marina... (I've been complaining about it for the last few weeks) Its a small floating dock and when large waves come rolling in the dock has the tendency to move up and down quite a bit. So my thoughts are that the boat is then able to position itself slightly up and over the platform and onto a unprotected edge.

This is the only dock I've tied up to in the last few weeks... Obviously The first scratch really pains me and I apologize for the rant, but I actually feel better already.

Moving on... Does anyone have any suggestions for a a repair. Looking for everything from a temporary fix to a permanent fix. The damage happened over Canadian Blue flake, so I know my options are limited. Thanks!

I need to get a better pic but the gouge is actually about 1/4" x 1/4" deep.
Attached Images

Old 06-09-2016, 05:21 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2012 Prostar 197
no suggestions on repair but he happy it happened over the waterline. You don't want a gouge sitting in the water soaking it up.
Old 06-09-2016, 05:49 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2016 X30, 85 S&S
Honestly, after hearing opinions on here id just use nail polish. Repairing flake is risky!

2016 X30-Wetsounds galore
1985 S&S
Old 06-10-2016, 08:24 AM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
+1 on tricky - if you want it perfect you will need to take to a good shop. get a small jar of flake and just put a little bit on to fill. mettalic flake nail polish is a good idea.... spectrum should have the exact match. My MCOCD would be get a jar of spectrum and call it a day...

if you're not that picky get some white gel and a sharpie.
Old 06-10-2016, 08:39 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2005 x-10
I would get some clear Ever coat Scratch Patch. It comes in a small tube and you should be able to get it anywhere that has a boat section. It will still be noticeable but won't look like you tried to repair it and make it match when it doesn't match at all. The flake actually has a top layer of clear gel on it anyway. When you try to sand the flake, it will be a mess, which is another reason to stick with clear. Just my thoughts.
Old 06-10-2016, 10:05 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2014 X-Star 7.4L Past: '99 Prostar 195, '01 X-Star, '07 X-Star
Looks like I might just try and color in any white and patch it for now. After the season's over I will look into getting it professionally repaired. Anyone have any suggestions? I am in the south and would be willing to drive for quality.