Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Appearance

Old 01-31-2006, 09:49 AM
MC Platinum

Boat: White/Red 91 PS 190
303 Aerospace protectant to restore gelcoat????

http://www.303products.com/tech/inde...Product_ID=309

haven't tried it yet, but here's their instructions......
Quote:
303 AEROSPACE PROTECTANT
SUBJECT: Gelcoat Fiberglass Application

There are two great methods of using 303 Aerospace Protectant to bring back a like-original color and gloss to oxidized gelcoat fiberglass:

Method 1).
Spray 303 Aerospace Protectant on the surface liberally, rub it around with your hand or a thoroughly saturated sponge or cloth to assure the gelcoat is thoroughly wetted with 303. After a couple of hours if any portion of the surface is dull, apply more 303 to that portion. Let soak in for 12-24 hours. The entire surface will look like new, but to complete the job all the unabsorbed 303 must be wiped away. This is easily done with a clean towel and bucket of clean water. Soak the towel in the water, wring out most of the water and wipe down the gelcoat. If it is a large area, you will have to rinse out the towel periodically.

As you do this to the entire area a section at a time, you'll have to follow the wetting and wiping with the wet towel by drying with a dry towel. So the procedure is, wipe an section with the wet towel, then wipe it completely dry with the dry towel. Turn the drying-towel over to a dry area to finish the drying. You can't completely finish an area with a damp towel, you must finish the drying with a dry towel.
Hint: Extra enthusiasm in drying with the dry towel makes the finish MORE repellent...to resist soiling and staining. And it makes the treated area LAST LONGER.

Old towels are excellent for this purpose, but any large, absorbent, non-abrasive clean material can be used. Afterward, launder and dry the towels for reuse.

Method 2).
Wash the surface to remove surface dirt & grit. Then use a variable speed power buffer (set not to exceed 1800 rpm) with a synthetic wool pad(or equivalent). Spray 303 on the surface, spread with the buffer on low, then increase the Rpm’s & buff in until dry. Professionals utilizing this method achieve a labor savings of at least 80% compared to standard buffing & waxing, while producing a more lustrous and beautiful, longer lasting finish.
Note: In some cases, pre-buffing may be required. Be sure to use a buffing compound which leaves no wax or polymer finish.

RESULTS and BENEFITS:
Once properly applied, 303-treated gelcoat repels dust, dirt and moisture, stays cleaner longer and cleans up easier when finally soiled.

To prevent the reoccurrence of both UV fading and oxidation, periodically reapply 303 Aerospace Protectant (spray on/wipe dry). This will provide continuing UV protection and keep the gelcoat surface like new.

Team MasterCraft Google Search Engine
Old 01-31-2006, 11:19 AM
MC Addict

Boat: 1988 Prostar 190
I have not used it to restore the gelcoat but do spray a bit on the gel every couple of weeks and buff with a clean cloth. Really gives a nice wet shine in between waxings. Also the UV inhibitors should be really good protection from fading.

1997 Prostar 190, TBI 350, 1:1, OJ XMP 13 x 11.5, Stargazer, Hot Shower, Heated Drivers Seat, Reuben/Mountain Rock/Nite Navy

Old 01-31-2006, 11:30 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2008 MasterCraft ProStar 197
Send a message via AIM to erkoehler Send a message via MSN to erkoehler
HM, it won't turn the gelcoat pink will it
Old 01-31-2006, 01:14 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2003 X30, mcx, the works
Quote:
Originally Posted by milkmania
http://www.303products.com/tech/inde...Product_ID=309

haven't tried it yet, but here's their instructions......
True miracle product: excellent sunscreen & keeps the mesquitos away, heals cuts, keeps dandruff at bay, removes plaque & tarter, great engine fogger, restores scratched sunglasses to original condition, stops engine oil leaks, removes oilspots from driveway, and repairs yellow rings left in your grass by man's best friend! Just kidding, don't try any of this, but it does seem we are finding new uses for it every day!
Old 01-31-2006, 02:07 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1984 Mastercraft Prostar Stars and Stripes
Hmmm wonder if it will work... This spring it would be nice to clean and restore my gel back to a nice luster! Anyone out there using this?

Last edited by 1984StarsandStripes; 02-02-2006 at 02:10 PM.
Old 01-31-2006, 02:13 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft X7, 2005
Send a message via Yahoo to mrcrowson
I use it on more than the GEL. I have used it on the tires and spare, inside on the skins, on the dash, and did the sides and undersides of the MC in under 30 min. It looks really great and leaves no slippery residue.
Old 01-31-2006, 04:19 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 1982 Skier19, Powerslot, 351PCM
It works, I have used it for this. Be sure to put a good coat of wax on top of it.
Old 02-02-2006, 11:15 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1991 Prostar 190 Powerslot
I bath in it.

Old 02-02-2006, 11:20 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2011 X35
Quote:
Originally Posted by ski_king
It works, I have used it for this. Be sure to put a good coat of wax on top of it.
My boat is pretty sun faded from all the years. I had purchased a 3M marine product that advertises itself as a rubbing compound and wax together. I was hoping this would bring back some of the shine. But, now I think I'll try 303. Should I use 303 first and then wax or use the 3M product first and then 303?
Old 02-02-2006, 02:12 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1984 Mastercraft Prostar Stars and Stripes
How much does it take to go over the hull?