Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 01-12-2005, 09:52 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1987 Prostar 190 PowerSlot, 2004 22' Bennington Pontoon 90 HP Mercury 4-stroke
Aftermarket Fuel Infection for your older MasterCraft

I know several people on this site are looking at ways to increase horsepower in their older mastercrafts or are having problems with their carburetor. Anyone ever consider replacing the carburetor with Holley's Pro-Jection Fuel Injection system? I first became aware of this system from an old Holley overhaul manual and thought I would see if anyone here has experience with it.

As near as I can tell this is a bolt on replacement for a traditional carburetor and can increase power by as much as 25% while improving fuel efficiency (numbers come from various sources so don't quote me). In addition to replacing the carburetor you have to have to add a fuel pump, a return line, and other related stuff. Once installed you there is a computer controller that can be adjusted to meet the performance needs of the application.

Here is a link to a system on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...spagename=WDVW

I looked quickly on the Holley site and didn't find the site too useful and didn't explore too much since I won't likely do this mod myself.
Old 01-12-2005, 10:38 PM
MC Master Poster

I'm trying to find a way for injection to increase power by 25%. If it's 25% more than a badly adjusted carb, OK. If the carb is set up right and is the right one for the motor, just going to injection shouldn't be that much on an increase. Increased reliability and easier startups, yes.

Hotter spark, tweaked timing, hotter cam, valve job/roller lifters/rockers shaved heads and better intake manifold would definitely give you more power. On the other hand, if you did all of these other things and spent the $200 for a good carb rebuild, you would be money ahead compared with injection, although I really like injection for its dependability.
Old 01-13-2005, 10:55 AM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
When I mulled doing this on my old jeep, the consensus was that there would not be a noticeable power increase over a properly tuned carb, as JimN has said.

Jim, in all our previous discussions, a hotter ignition system never came up. I've got the electronic ignition already (OEM 93). Is there a hotter one that I could go to that would give me better performance. What else would have to be changed if I did this mod.

/I've been watching to much "Full Throttle" on the History Channel.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 01-13-2005, 11:03 AM
MC Master Poster

Generally, a hotter ignition is for when a lot of gas is being delivered and it all needs to burn, usually high HP motors. A boat from '85 isn't going to have the most up-to-date technology on it, so if any major work will be done on the motor, I think a slightly hotter coil could help.
Old 01-13-2005, 02:02 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 77 S&S, 1983 S&& PS, and now a 98 Anniversary S&S LT1 PS
I would be interested in stories of aftermarket injections systems also. I agree with Jim in questioning the HP gain information. My interest would be strictly in cold and warm-up driveability improvements.
Old 01-13-2005, 02:11 PM
MC Hero

So Jim, in my situation, if I read you right, you're saying that an HEI ignition or the like isn't going to make much difference over the Petronix or whatever that is stock on my boat.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 01-13-2005, 02:57 PM
MC Master Poster

Doug-if I remember correctly, you have the electronic ignition, which only replaces the points, right? You might call Skidim and see if they have a slightly hotter coil and if the module you have will handle it. If necessary, the distributor can be replaced with one that will. Whenever I watch the gearhead shows on TNN or whatever, they're usually replacing the stock coil with higher output. Yours probably puts out around 25KV and the MSD, Accell and others put out around 50KV. Then they open the plug gap and have a bigger spark to burn the fuel/air charge with.
Old 01-13-2005, 03:37 PM
MC Hero

Cool. Other than the gap, nothing else you can thing of that would need to be tweeked?

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

Old 01-13-2005, 03:52 PM
MC Master Poster

Just make sure the timing and fuel/air mixture are correct. If a cam is installed, the valve timing/lift/duration need to be right, too.
Old 01-13-2005, 03:59 PM
MC Hero

no camshaft replacement at this point.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club