Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Underwater Running Gear

Old 01-12-2005, 03:12 PM
MC Addict

Boat: SN196
Send a message via AIM to rodltg2
stainless steel prop

my 04 pt, came with a stainless prop that i want switch out to a nibral. anyone do this and notice any performance or wake differences?
Old 01-12-2005, 03:21 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: SN 196 previous 93 stars&stripes 190 red
Alot of people are using the Acme CNC nibral props and love them. Contact Acme Props and talk with Bill and they will tell you what should work best for you engine/transmission/boat combo. What you will notice in the boat is a less noisey ride with less vibration in the boat. What you may or may not notice is the table area of the wake less turbulent.
With that said you have the new style prop shaft and have to use the OJ prop.
http://www.acmemarine.com/

Last edited by G-man; 01-12-2005 at 03:58 PM.
Old 01-12-2005, 03:36 PM
skimax

Go with the OJ 4 blade nibral....can't go wrong with the OJ. it will have more flex than the stainless so you might lose a little out of the hole. Different blade design i.e. different brands will effect the wake turbulance.

Last edited by skimax; 01-12-2005 at 03:45 PM.
Old 01-12-2005, 04:20 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
I've not heard any comparisons to CNC'd OJs versus Acme. As of a couple of years ago, Acme was able to get more surface are on the blades, which is why they now claim that their 3 blade will perform as good or better than their 4 blade. They used to offer a 30 day money back guarantee. Certainly seems worth a shot.

/proud owner of an Acme 13x12 3 blade.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 01-12-2005, 05:57 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 95 Prostar 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by east tx skier
I've not heard any comparisons to CNC'd OJs versus Acme. As of a couple of years ago, Acme was able to get more surface are on the blades, which is why they now claim that their 3 blade will perform as good or better than their 4 blade. They used to offer a 30 day money back guarantee. Certainly seems worth a shot.

/proud owner of an Acme 13x12 3 blade.
**start hijack**

ETXS did you try anything other brands or pitches on your boat?? I am going to buy a new wheel for my tug this year but I am still not sure which way I should go. I have heard nothing but good things about ACME so I am leaning that direction. I would certainly like to see my table clear up a bit and lose some of my short line bump. What did the Acme do for you on your boat??

FYI I am running the stock OJ 3 blade 13x13, 95 205, LT1

Thanks in advance..........

OD

**end hijack**
Old 01-12-2005, 06:18 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Diesel, other than the stock 13x13 OJ, I did not try another prop on my boat. I got what I was promised (a bit better hole shot, same top end, smooth running) and didn't feel compelled to look further. I do, however, ski regularly behind a 98 model Prostar that has the 13x13 OJ 4 blade. I don't think it's a very good comparison on the three to four blade thing inasmuch as it has a few more horses and a different hull. But, that boat/prop combo does yank my arms out of the sockets. The OJ prop actually runs smoother since I had to have it remilled last summer.

I noticed a little more hole shot, the same top end, a bit flatter table, but slightly foamier (if that makes sense) when I went from a 3 blade oj to a 3 blade acme. My wife is not someone who notices this type of thing, but on the first outing with the new prop, from the observer seat she gave me a wide-eyed "wow," with the first take off.

Tim ("Farmer Ted") went from an OJ 4 blade to an acme 3 blade on his boat, so he'd be a good person to talk to about it.

On I/Os, we always went with SS props because they performed better. When I went to inboards, I was always told that unless you were sure not to hit something, go with nibril or you'd be buying a shaft, too. Well, I've hit something with nibril and ended up buying the shaft anyway. The prop was repaired (this is the OJ prop on my father-in-law's boat). So I don't know what to say about the stainless prop other than they are not bullet proof and you might be just as likely to need repairs on it if you hit something hard enough.

With the CNC finishing, I don't doubt that OJ would run as smooth as ACME, but I'd check on the surface area of the blades b/w their 3 blade and 4 blade. I mean, if you don't have to sacrifice top end, why would you. If you can get a 30 day money back guarantee from OJ like acme offers, try 'em both.

Give acme a call and talk to them. They are extremely nice and knowledgeable. The number is on their website

www.acmemarine.com

Here is the before and after of the wake. Sorry about the before pick as it was a frame grab from low light video.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.

Last edited by east tx skier; 01-12-2005 at 06:24 PM.
Old 01-12-2005, 09:13 PM
MC Addict

thanks for the great info, i think i will give the acme a try. now i need to decided 3 or 4 blade. whats the cost difference?
Old 01-14-2005, 11:51 PM
TT Regular

OJ XMP cnc prop

there's some great info at skiertoskier.com regarding the 3 vs 4 blade discussion. click on the OJ Props button on the left side...

Just received my XMP this week, will be testing it out when it warms a bit. I also have an ACME 3 blade, as well as an OJ 4 blade stainless prop to compare it with.
Old 01-15-2005, 02:17 PM
Leroy

I don't see the link Edwin?
Old 01-15-2005, 03:25 PM
MC Addict

according to skiertoskier.com the four blade is the way to go for me since i have a powerslot..