Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Wakeboarding & Wakeskating

Old 02-21-2007, 12:34 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 06 X-30 MCX
Which Wakeboard / Bindings should I get?

Is a question that get's killed on other forums and a difficult decision to make based on the costs associated if you make a bad choice. There is a ton of information on the web for how to pick a board and bindings and the technical differences between them. I have read most of it and still struggle with the decision.

The best answer is always go to your local shop and demo the board / bindings to make sure it is right for you just like with a boat. However for those like me that don't have a local shop to go do a demo from now what? A lot also depends on your style and skill.

So let's make this a positive feedback based discussion to help newbies to wakeboarding (like me) with board / binding decisions and reviewing what we have ridden.

If you have any good links to information please post it up.

Here is a pretty good link from Wakeside on how to buy a board explaing a lot: http://www.wakeside.com/page/W/CTGY/wakeboard_guide

Why yes I do love a rampy wake with a firm lip. Thanks for asking.
Old 02-21-2007, 12:38 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
At the very least, this will give your post a BUMP. I'm not a wakeboarder, but am in a similar situation with no nearby demos available on water skis. The market for used wakeboards may be different, but I found that buying, trying, and relisting is pretty reasonable. I think I only lost about $20 total in the process going through about 4 skis, and maybe another $30 in trying several different sets of bindings for me and my wife.

So when you get a few recommendations here, start looking for blems from Wileys or the like or demo'd gear from ski schools or dealers. If you don't like it, ebay them and try something else. Good luck.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 02-21-2007, 12:47 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: X2 2005
Wakeside is a very good link

try this one http://www.wakeworld.com/

Can I ask your weight and size? Will help to start………
Old 02-21-2007, 12:53 PM
MC Devotee

Last year was basically my first year of consistent riding. I am 6'0" and 150lbs. I rode an 04 CWB Sol, a several year old Hyperlite (my brother's don't know much more about it) and an 06 CWB Marius. None of them are right for me. Last year I got a pair of Factions and brother got a pair of Zeus' . I like the fit of the faction but it's a little to flexible, I prefer the firmness of the Zeus.

I am considering a Ronix either a Frontier or a Vault. I would love a set of the closed toe bindings but will end up sharing the board so that may be an issue. (Not because they are the flavor of the month, because I like the attitude of the company, the people in the background appear to be quality, I think the product will be quality and I love to support American based small start-ups / underdogs)

Being a skinny a$$ I am leaning towards the Frontier 137 (I think 142 will be too big) or the Vault 139 (thinking 134 too small and 144 too big)
I haven't found any place to ride or demo those boards / bindings... Anyone ridden them or have any feedback?

Last edited by Doug G; 02-21-2007 at 12:55 PM.
Old 02-21-2007, 01:16 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: X2 2005
Well I love CWB I also like the Zeus Bindings

and if you are going to Share the Board
Hinge bindings are is good way to go, down fall the cost……

I do like the new CWB Faction 138 it is a cool board might be a little big for you?

IMO you can't go wrong with CWB’s Absolute 135 with Hinge Bindings

Last edited by RexDog1; 02-21-2007 at 03:53 PM.
Old 02-21-2007, 01:24 PM
MC Devotee

Hinge tech is awesome ... No lube, no fuss.. only had one pop open one time on a particularly nasty (rider induced) face plant.

Old 02-21-2007, 01:31 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft X10 2004 5.7L
Send a message via AIM to dmayer84
Doug,
I have an older parks board and I love it. I think that it is a 137 or so. Before that I had a project 142, which I weighed less when I had it and I am doing a lot better with the shorter board. I think the 137 or 139 would be good.
Old 02-21-2007, 03:02 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2002 Tournament Team Edition Prostar 197
Send a message via MSN to #47of100TeamMC
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmayer84
Doug,
I have an older parks board and I love it. I think that it is a 137 or so. Before that I had a project 142, which I weighed less when I had it and I am doing a lot better with the shorter board. I think the 137 or 139 would be good.
I have a Liquid Force Trip 138 if that interests you... I no-longer wake board. Only slalom, it's in very good shape. comes with Pro-Suction Bindings and a padded case. it's a few years old now. I think I've had it for 5yrs and havne't touched it in 3. Not sure what it's worth but I don't use it so someone should if they want it. I have pictures at home if you like.
Old 02-21-2007, 03:33 PM
TT Regular

i would suggest CWB, all the boards and bindings i have are all cwb except for my first two board. theyre a great ride. my setup is cwb absolute 142 with zeus (hinge) bindings. i would suggest you get the absolute 135 if you think you will end up doing more than jumping the wake and the bindings . . . thats a tuff call, if your a beginer i would sugest getting a hinge binding just cuz your not used to the hingeless... i found it akward when i switched to hinge... it was only by the end of the summer i started to like/get used to them

however if you want so crazy pop... look into some of the hyperlite boards like the parks
Old 02-23-2007, 12:17 AM
TT Regular

Picking a board and binding setup is always difficult. Quite often it seems like you dont have the opportunity to ride any of the setups that you are interested in. When you are looking for a board and bindings it always helps to let people know your current ability level, your style of riding, things you like about some of the boards that you have ridden and also things that you did not like about some of the other boards that you have ridden.

Don't feel like you need to pick out the board with the most pop, you need to pick out a board that fits your style and will allow you to continue to improve your riding. I made the mistake of getting a parks board a few years ago because I rode one and I was amazed by the "pop", what I ended up learning was the the board was very difficult for me to progress on because the pop was very inconsistent, due to my ability level.

If I was buying today I would look into the Ronix line or boards and bindings. I have not yet had a chance to demo any of the new setups but I was impressed with what I saw and felt (bindings are comfortable). Good luck with finding a setup that works for you.