Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Electrical

Old 01-07-2005, 03:17 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2004 Prostar 197
Matercraft Amps/Sub

Does anyone know the model # of the Clarion amplifier Mastercraft uses in the 2004 Prostar 197. I am curious if this is something I can buy from a Clarion outlet and not my dealer. We all know that on some things, Mastercraft charges a lot for options and I would just like to compare prices from my dealer to what I can buy the amp for in a stereo outlet. Also with Mastercraft separating the tweeter from the rest of the speaker in my boat does this take a special amp that only Mastercraft can sell me, that Clarion makes? My other boat had an amp and sub and I really miss it.
Old 01-07-2005, 03:29 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Former Prostar 205 owner upgraded to an 05 Malibu vRide
Watch eBay. Guys are swapping them out for better equipment all the time.
Old 01-07-2005, 08:38 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2003 Prostar 209, MCX, custom ballast, tower
The Clarion speakers that Mastercraft uses have a built in crossover for the tweeter so any amp can hook up to them.

You can get twice the performance in an amp at Frys, E-bay or even Best Buy for the bucks you pay Mastercraft for the Clarion. Sorry, but as much as I like my dealer, I would never buy electronics from him (not his fault, just the problem with low volume company mark-up).
Old 01-07-2005, 08:55 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2003 PS-197 - X7
Clarion Marine Audio

http://www.clarion.com/usa/products/...dio/index.html

Everything they make for marine audio. I bought most of my suff from E-tronics on line.
Old 01-07-2005, 09:01 PM
TT Enthusiast

Mastercraft Clarion system

This is my system and the setup. I installed 90% of it along with the drives and transom mounted remote controls. Love it!

Clarion Marine Audio installation recommendation for MasterCraft Prostar 197

1 - XMD3-RET Clarion Head Unit
1 - APM-400.4M AMP for the speakers
1 - APX-200.2M AMP for the subwoofer
6 - CM-1632RET Component Speakers with seperate tweeters
1 CM2503RET Subwoofer

XMD3-RET Clarion Head Unit
Grey RCA to Front input on AXP-400.4M
Red RCA not used (they are Aux inputs)
Black RCA to APX-200.2M

APX-400.4M Settings
Front & rear gain - Set to 4:00 position
Bass Boost - Set to 0
Rear Channel input select Set to Front (middle) position
Front Input Mode Switch Set to Stereo
Rear Input Mode Switch Set to Stereo
Front Frequency Control Set to 12:00 position (90 hz)
Front X-over mode Set to HP (middle)
Rear Frequency Control Set to 12:00 position (90 hz)
Rear X-over Frequency Multiplier Set to X1 (button out)
Rear X-over mode Set to HP (middle)
Bow and Tower speakers - Wire to APX-400.4M - Front outputs
Rear speakers - Wire to APX-400.4M - Rear outputs

APX-200.2M Settings
Gain Set to 3:00 position +
Bass Boost Set to 1:00 position
Frequency Set to 12:00 Position (90hz)
X-over Frequency Multiplier Set to X1 (button out)
X-over mode Set to LP (left)
Input Mode Switch Set to L+R (Sum Mono)
Subwoofer - Wire as Bridged Mono (L- R+)

Adjust head unit output levels to taste in Custom mode
Use Z-Enhance if desired, adjust levels to taste
Old 01-09-2005, 09:36 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2003 X2 350MCX
Send a message via ICQ to TalleyHo Send a message via MSN to TalleyHo Send a message via Yahoo to TalleyHo
My 400 just blew. Power light won't come on anymore. Given that it is a 'marine' amp, it is $379 to replace. So, I plan on replacing it w/ a similar model Clarion is clearancing out for 1/4 that cost. IMO, 'marine' amps are a joke unless you live in extreme a location w/ extreme conditions (read coast, or w/ super high humidity and salt)

And a 'marine' radio basically means wired remote. It amazes me that the radio manufacturers aren't making 'marine' MP3 players. What a market they are missing out on. I guess tho, when you are charging 4x for 1/2 the features, that can't be too bad from their end either.

Unless you like hanging upside down, or have a small frame, finance the stereo and let MC install it. The actual install was pretty clean. And haning upside down in there to remove that amp was a beating at 6'1 200#.

And to actually answer your question and stop ranting, any 4 channel amp w/ a crossover should be fine.

That said, if you have an option, ask for the Rockford Fosgate marine CD player -- it has a remote that will work w/ the MC interior, and plays MP3's. Of course, that assumes you care about MP3s.
Old 01-10-2005, 12:07 AM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalleyHo
My 400 just blew. Power light won't come on anymore. Given that it is a 'marine' amp, it is $379 to replace. So, I plan on replacing it w/ a similar model Clarion is clearancing out for 1/4 that cost. IMO, 'marine' amps are a joke unless you live in extreme a location w/ extreme conditions (read coast, or w/ super high humidity and salt)

And a 'marine' radio basically means wired remote. It amazes me that the radio manufacturers aren't making 'marine' MP3 players. What a market they are missing out on. I guess tho, when you are charging 4x for 1/2 the features, that can't be too bad from their end either.

Unless you like hanging upside down, or have a small frame, finance the stereo and let MC install it. The actual install was pretty clean. And haning upside down in there to remove that amp was a beating at 6'1 200#.

And to actually answer your question and stop ranting, any 4 channel amp w/ a crossover should be fine.

That said, if you have an option, ask for the Rockford Fosgate marine CD player -- it has a remote that will work w/ the MC interior, and plays MP3's. Of course, that assumes you care about MP3s.
Probably too much heat! Most amp's are toasted due to installation errors not allowing sufficient cooling. Mine are mounted with spacers to allow air movement all around. Typically they are installed flat against the carpeted wall in the storage compartment. Buy good quality stuff and install it properly and you'll get long life and lots of enjoyment!