Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 01-06-2005, 12:02 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1999 X-Star 330 HP
Send a message via Yahoo to rem_pss308
Need to tighten Throttle

I have a 93 205 with 351 gt-40. Here is my problem. While pulling, My fingers get fatigued from holding pressure against the throttle to maintain correct speed.
I removed the return spring on the linkage on teh carb. Now the throttle stay where it is put for the most part. But!!!!!!
Now it wont idle under 1000 rpm's.
My friend has a 2002 x-9 his throttle stays put. But it is fuel injected.
Anyone know if there is an adjustment on the throttle control box that can be tightened.
I have seen a device on skidim.com but am not sure if it will fix my problem.

Hopefully you all can give me an answer...

thanks
Old 01-06-2005, 12:14 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: SN 196 previous 93 stars&stripes 190 red
That's the nature of inboard ski boat throttles of that era. The throttle return spring should be able to be removed completely but maybe your throttle cable has some slop in it. Have you tried another spring with less tension than the one on it? You can get them at the hardware store. Of course you could put on Perfect Pass and that would solve your problem.
Old 01-06-2005, 12:20 PM
MC Fanatic

Yes George I have tried a lesser amount spring too. And I know the perfect pass would probably fix it. That is not in the option book yet.
Hope fully after this summer. With the spring off, and the engine cover lifted I can push down hard on the throttle and it will idle at a nice rpm, but after accelerating again it is back to 1000 rpm idle.
Old 01-06-2005, 02:08 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
rem, we have the same boat/engine. I have switched out the return spring to one that is less tense, and have not had any idle troubles (even before I installed perfect pass). Check the point on the port side of the carb where the throttle cable connects to it. Is there a gap? If there is, that may be your problem. I just had a gap open up on mine after getting my new intake manifold installed. It would start and rev up to 3,000 rpms before I could get the key shut off. My dealer removed part of the plate and made a direct connection to close the gap.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 01-07-2005, 08:23 AM
MC Fanatic

east tx skier: I am not sure where you are talking about a gap..
If I remember right I read you have your boat in storage. You wouldnt happen to have a pic of where the gap was.
I will look at mine this weekend to see if I can understand. Thanks for the idea.
Have you had a successful run with the new intake yet? I would like to boost my horsepower too. Is the intake all you changed?
Old 01-07-2005, 10:16 AM
MC Hero

Rem:

If you follow the throttle cable where it passes/connects to the port side of the carb and attaches to that little plate, that's where the gap was. They removed part of the plate and made a more direct connection is the way I was made to understand it. Sorry I can't give you a more technical answer, but it's not really my area of expertise.

Haven't had a test run yet as temps dipped into the 30s the day after I got the boat back. It's supposed to hit 71 on Sunday, but I'll be out of town. The intake is the only thing I've changed to date.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 01-07-2005, 12:33 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Maristar 240 1989 454 cu. in. 13/13 prop.
Hey rem,

skiDIM sells a thing that grips onto the throttle cable (a clamp basically) providing enough friction to prevent "throttle creep" - works great -I had to do this after a replaced the entire throttle assembly on my boat....

Good luck

Wes

while you're sleeping, things are breaking
'89 Maristar 240, 454, 1:1, 13:13 Acme
Old 01-07-2005, 04:54 PM
MC Fanatic

Wesgardner: Where does this clamp mount? at the carb or close to the throttle. I have seen them on skidim, but wasnt sure if it would work. Does it just crimp the outside of the throttle cable to the cable itself and cause friction?
Old 01-12-2005, 11:53 AM
MC Fanatic

Here is a follow up.
I have fixed the problem. The throttle control cable is held onto the intake manifold by a flat peice of metal, with a clamp to squeeze the cable to the metal. I had slop in the linkage. I loosed the clamp, and moved the cable housing closer to the carb. this took out the slop, and now the engine idles fine when the shift lever is in neutral. I still dont have to have the throttle return spring on, so I can let go of the throttle after adjusting the throttle as needed.
Thanks for the input guys. As usual the discussion board has been a help.
Old 01-13-2005, 10:57 AM
MC Hero

Glad it was an easy fix. That's exactly what happened to mine.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club