Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Storage / Winterization

Old 01-23-2007, 08:24 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft X-Star 1999 LS1 5.7L
too late for fuel stabil?

so i live down here in georgia, and i haven't had to "winterize" the boat necessarily for the entire winter, just drain the block every now and then when it freezes. i've been taking the boat out every 2-3 weeks, but i haven't had to refill it in some time. i've read that gas breaks down after two weeks, but the boat hasn't been running bad when i've taken it out. should i go ahead and try to run off the remaining 1/4 of a tank and then thrown some fuel stabil in about half a tank and let it run through some of it?

it's been one of those things that i've just forgotten to do........
Old 01-23-2007, 08:36 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: "81" 351 Power Slot, Blue on Blue
I'm not an expert on fuel destabilizing but I think you run it enuff not to worry about it. But just to make yourself feel better, don't run off the 1/4 tank just put in the stabile and bring it up to 3/4 full so when weather warms up fuel won't expand and run over!!!
Old 01-23-2007, 09:22 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Past: 1994 PS 205 --> Now: Nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by chudson
I'm not an expert on fuel destabilizing but I think you run it enuff not to worry about it. But just to make yourself feel better, don't run off the 1/4 tank just put in the stabile and bring it up to 3/4 full so when weather warms up fuel won't expand and run over!!!
I am not certain about this, but I propose fuel density doesnt change that much from 30°F to 100°F. For example the density of liquids like octane, heptane, ethanol, and water only decrease 4 - 5% over this range. You bring up a great point, but 1/4 tank might be too much of a buffer. But then again...how accurate are our fuel gauges?

EDIT: I found once that temperature makes a huge difference if the tank is so full (or the boat is cocked) that the vent line contains fuel. This effectively seals off the fuel tank. The vapors expand strongly with increasing temperature, raising the pressure in the tank, and spraying out fuel from the vent. Big mess...

"Magna opera Domini exquisita in omnes voluntates ejus" - James Clerk Maxwell, physics pioneer, 1874

Last edited by Jesus_Freak; 01-23-2007 at 01:15 PM.
Old 01-23-2007, 10:48 AM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Sounds like you've been running it enough. If it were me, I'd just fill the rest with 93 octane to bring up the overall octane for the layup and add stabil to the full tank. I'm no expert on this either though.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 01-23-2007, 11:01 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1989 Prostar 190, 351 Indmar
You're probably fine. I've heard that gas does start to lose octane rating and break down in ~1 month, but I've had gas sit longer and be OK. I'd pour in either Sta-bil or Sea Foam, then fill up the tank with fresh gas. I run one or the other in my boat almost all the time, unless I know I'll burn through a full tank in less than a month, which sadly is not too common fo me. I usually use Sea Foam more regularly, and Sta-bil at the last tankful in the fall.
Good luck.
1989 ProStar 190 with "Safe T Top", 351 Ford, GT 40 heads painted Ford Blue, Elec. Ign, 1:1, 720 hours, 4 blade prop, PP 6.5, removable platform brackets, custom color from factory, hot water shower, Boat Buddy & LED lights on trailer
2010 D3 Z7, 2 @ 32 off, 34 mph so far
Old 01-23-2007, 11:22 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2006 Maristar 200VRS
Your fine just top off with some good stuff.

Tow Veh: 2010 Toyota Tundra
Bike: 2007 HD Street Glide

Beer:Sam Adams Boston Lager/ Cherry Wheat, Petes

Strawberry Blonde, Petes Wicked Ale

Chief Petty Officer: "Results not excuses"

"You Can't Beat a Tree"
Old 01-23-2007, 11:49 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: What ever floats your.....
Seafoam it.....or use stabil if that's what you have laying around....

It's not too late....
Old 01-23-2007, 11:53 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2005 Prostar 197 / MCX
I am not promoting mistreatment of your boat but I have a lawnmower that has not been started in over a year(nor have I given it more than a second glance as far as maintenance) I guarantee it starts on the first pull next time I want to use it..... FWIW I have never knowingly had a stale fuel problem.... your results may vary
Old 01-23-2007, 11:57 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: What ever floats your.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric
I am not promoting mistreatment of your boat but I have a lawnmower that has not been started in over a year(nor have I given it more than a second glance as far as maintenance) I guarantee it starts on the first pull next time I want to use it..... FWIW I have never knowingly had a stale fuel problem.... your results may vary
Well, that's the first time I've heard you compare proper maintenance between a MC and lawnmower....Good job... I agree, I would not stabil your lawnmower either. Although Mine gets it.
Old 01-23-2007, 12:00 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2005 Prostar 197 / MCX
I figure any neglect should first be tested on items such as lawnmowers (and individuals you don't care about)