Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 01-05-2005, 11:47 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '05 PS 197 MCX
Cheap fix for steering wheel wobble

My '95 had an awful wobble in the steering wheel, that I traced to the tilt unit being worn out. The more rare splined version for our boats is about $140. Being on a college budget, I found a used tapered shaft tilt (much more common) on ebay for $15, took it apart, and replaced my worn bushings. It's like new now.

Before this, I called teleflex to ask for replacement parts. They don't make them. I asked the guy about the similarity of the units, and when he figured out what I was intending to do, he refused to answer anymore of my questions. By doing that he pretty much told me what I wanted to know, so I went shopping.
Old 01-06-2005, 05:07 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft, ProStar 190, 1986, 351.
David can you tell me more about this Tapered Shaft Tilt i have a 1986 PS and i was wondering if i could put the tilt steering wheel on it. The way it is right now i have just a strait steering wheel, no movement. these piece that you found on ebay are they the whole mecanism casing and all, or is it just the insides of the mecanism without the casing and mounts?
Old 01-06-2005, 08:16 PM
TT Enthusiast

Mine came with everything needed from between the cable box to the steering wheel. If your wheel is tapered, it should be pretty easy to find one on ebay. I don't know how your cable box would match up though. Many of the ones I saw included the cable box. Do an ebay search for "teleflex tilt" and see what you find; look at old auctions to get an idea. Even the ones with cable box and all weren't more than $100.
Old 01-07-2005, 08:12 AM
TT Enthusiast

Thanks David i am going to check that out today.
Old 01-07-2005, 08:26 AM
TT Enthusiast

Do you know if a 3/4" tapered steering shaft will fit in the steering box that comes on the 86?
Old 01-07-2005, 02:51 PM
TT Enthusiast

I'm not sure. When I say steering box, I mean the part the cables inserts into, which has a flattened rotating nub that the tilt mechanism attaches to. I think the "nub" is pretty universal. The tapered shaft part is what inserts into the steering wheel itself, so it depends it your wheel accepts the tapered shaft. Sizewise, I think all the teleflex tapered shaft units are of the same size, from what I could tell.