Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Tow Vehicles

Old 04-17-2010, 09:25 AM
TT Hero

Boat: 2005 X-STAR & 1993 Prostar 190 Limited
I've had one 2WD truck and four 4WD trucks for towing boats. Even in the southern states, I'd go with 4WD for steep and/or slippery ramps. I even pulled a guy's truck and boat up a steep ramp once with my 3/4 ton suburban in 4-wheel low.
You never know when you might encounter a ramp covered in sand or slime. Better resale value too (people up here don't put much value on used 2WD trucks at all)
Old 04-17-2010, 10:10 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: mastercraft PS190 1988 351
I'll agreee with that! Here in the Northeast, everyone wants 4 WD. Last summer, my wife was pulling the boat out with the Suburban, the wheels started slipping and she was going in deeper and panicking. Once she engaged 4-low, pulled us right out. It's all about safety and peace of mind!
Old 04-17-2010, 10:30 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Not a MC
I was in this deli ma about 20 mo. ago when shopping for a vehicle to pull the MC I had my eye on. I thought it seemed uncessesary to get a full sized truck with 4WD at first.

A friend of mine put it in perspective for me and I am glad he did.

You never know exactly what the conditions will be or if you will want to take the boat somewhere different for a weekend or etc. With 4WD you will be prepared for anything; it may not always be necessary but you will have it when you need it. I am never sorry I ponied up for 4WD.

I think people are surprised how it is easy it is to get a 2WD truck stuck.

Old 04-19-2010, 12:11 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1989 Prostar 190, 351 Indmar
I've towed with 2wd before. Everything now is 4wd, but that's mainly due to the winters. I'd go back to 2wd if I needed to, but 4wd is better IMHO, unless you can count on always being at good launches.

We used to get stuck so much with the 2wd that my sister got really good at pushing the boat & truck out of the water with the boat, while I just basically steered the truck! Granted we used to ski at some lakes that had questionable launches that even 4wd would have struggled a bit. Even at the good launches, though, the tires would just spin if the water level had recently dropped and the ramp was slick. It is not too bad, if you know what you're doing and can have the boat "assist" in pushing out of the water.

Last year a friend was trying to pull out his 190 with a Highlander hybrid at a gravel launch. The elec motor would spin the front wheels, and the gas engine would not come on and activate the rears, so we had to latch on with a pickup to get him out. He's had no problems at paved launches, but interesting how sometimes new technology can be troublesome.
Kevin
1989 ProStar 190 with "Safe T Top", 351 Ford, GT 40 heads painted Ford Blue, Elec. Ign, 1:1, 720 hours, 4 blade prop, PP 6.5, removable platform brackets, custom color from factory, hot water shower, Boat Buddy & LED lights on trailer
2010 D3 Z7, 2 @ 32 off, 34 mph so far

Last edited by Kevin 89MC; 04-19-2010 at 12:28 PM.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:13 PM
TT Regular

Boat: PROSTAR 190
I vote 4wd hands down
Old 04-20-2010, 09:57 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1989 Prostar 190 351 Indmar
Send a message via MSN to stuartmcnair
There are very steep hills around my lakehouse. One day after pulling the boat out we were headed home. We had a brief rain right before we left and the road was slick. Driving up the first steep hill I got to where it starts to turn at the top and the 2WD locking differential lost traction. I had to back the boat all the way down the hill (sheer drop to one side) while slipping and sliding.

Next day I took it to the dealership and traded it on the same truck in 4WD. Will never go back. Granted, very few people have to deal with hills like this but that is my reasoning. Purely a safety issue.
Old 04-20-2010, 10:19 AM
MC Addict

Boat: 1982 Skier19, Powerslot, 351PCM
I towed with a 2wd F-250 for a few years and it was a major pain to get the boat out on the ramp I used. As long as the ramp was dry, I had no problem, but once it got wet, the only way I could pull out my S&S was loading as many bodies as I could into the bed to add additional weight to get the traction I needed.

I have had nothing but 4WD's since.
Old 04-21-2010, 09:34 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft 190 1998 30th Anniversary Edition LT1
I think all trucks should be made with 4wd. If you want a mall crawler, then buy one of those SUV's with independent front and rear suspension.
Old 04-22-2010, 12:57 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Currently Rinker 212 R1 w/ wakeboard package and custom upgrades
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleboo View Post
I think all trucks should be made with 4wd. If you want a mall crawler, then buy one of those SUV's with independent front and rear suspension.
Might I add all truck have frame rails, those that are unibodies are not trucks and the most off roading they will see is when the wife backs into the flower bed

MC Fan
Current - Rinker R1

"Its easier to beg for forgivness than ask for permission"
Old 04-22-2010, 08:53 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dogg View Post
Might I add all truck have frame rails, those that are unibodies are not trucks and the most off roading they will see is when the wife backs into the flower bed
Well said Big Dogg.

Tandem Axle Wheel & Tire Package $629
4 Matte Black T08 14x6 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires

Single Axle Wheel & Tire Package $379
2 Matte Black T08 14x6 wheels, 2 ST215/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires
MOUNT, BALANCE & FREE SHIPPING INCLUDED IN BOTH PACKAGES

CARB REBUILDING - FAST TURN-AROUND. $100 +PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts - Red, Blue & Black

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com