Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Tow Vehicles

Old 12-18-2006, 05:38 PM
TT Regular

Boat: mastercraft
Truck 2wd or 4wd?

Looking at the new Chevy's and I always had 4wd but now the new limited slip axle they say you don't need 4wd for boat ramps.... the boat ramp I use can be very wet and slippy at times never had a problem before but I always had 4x4 but I have seen some with 2wd have problems.... I have no need for 4wd other than the boat ramp since it doesn't snow in Florida.... but rains alot .... its about 3k difference between 2 and 4wd too.... any one have any new chevy's on a boat ramp yet???
Old 12-18-2006, 05:59 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2006 Mastercraft X-1, 310RTP
I was in the same dilemma and went 4WD in my new Avi just to be safe, as I have had problems on wet ramps with my old 2wd extended cab Chevy. Depends on whether the money and slightly worse mileage is worth it to you.

Given the way I can spin up the rear tire on my Avi at will and make believe I'm Bullit with sliding turns when I'm in two wheel mode, I'd say 4wd is a good thing in this truck.
Old 12-18-2006, 06:02 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 Prostar 190
No need for the 4x4. Living in South LA I was in the same predicament with regard to 4x4. In 2003 I went with the GMC 2wd Ex Cab 5.3 with the Locking Rear Differential and have never had a problem at the ramp. The ramp I uses is very steep and I often get stuck in an afternoon shower pulling the boat out on a wet ramp. When I purchased my '07 Avalanche again I went without 4x4 but did get the LTZ which has the Locking Rear Differential. Again absolutely no issues at the ramp. Between the rear end and the massive amounts of torque management that is built into the computers 4x4 in our situation really is a waste of $4k. Save that money and buy more gas to enjoy the boat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archimedes
I was in the same dilemma and went 4WD in my new Avi just to be safe, as I have had problems on wet ramps with my old 2wd extended cab Chevy. Depends on whether the money and slightly worse mileage is worth it to you.

Given the way I can spin up the rear tire on my Avi at will and make believe I'm Bullit with sliding turns when I'm in two wheel mode, I'd say 4wd is a good thing in this truck.
Very interesting. I have had the exact same two trucks (except I went 2wd with the Av) and we couldn't have had more different experiences.

1997 Prostar 190, TBI 350, 1:1, OJ XMP 13 x 11.5, Stargazer, Hot Shower, Heated Drivers Seat, Reuben/Mountain Rock/Nite Navy

Last edited by BrianM; 12-18-2006 at 06:04 PM.
Old 12-18-2006, 06:20 PM
MC Addict

Boat: SN196
Send a message via AIM to rodltg2
it seems like alot of people are concerned about resale. and that would be about the only reason why i would see 4wd useful for you. that and they look cooler
Old 12-18-2006, 06:32 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft 190 1998 30th Anniversary Edition LT1
I would opt for the 4 wheel drive if your ramp is slick. A limited slip rear can help, but being able to "lock in" traction--either with 4 wheel drive or a true locker-- will produce better results. Yes, and they look cooler too.
Old 12-18-2006, 08:52 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 Prostar 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodltg2
it seems like alot of people are concerned about resale. and that would be about the only reason why i would see 4wd useful for you. that and they look cooler
I would agree with you out in the 916 and many other areas but down here (and probably Florida too) 4x4 can actually be a liability when it comes time to sell. They are more expensive and use more gas and the benefit around here to most people is little if any. As for looking cooler I agree with some trucks but my Avalanche for example looks exactly the same in the LTZ trim 4x4 or 4x2. Same ride height same tires same everything.

1997 Prostar 190, TBI 350, 1:1, OJ XMP 13 x 11.5, Stargazer, Hot Shower, Heated Drivers Seat, Reuben/Mountain Rock/Nite Navy

Old 12-18-2006, 09:44 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1991 MasterCraft Prostar 190 PowerSlot
Send a message via AIM to DooSPX
I have a 2wd 04 5.3 GMC w/ 3.73's and the locker...
never even spun the tires and i have been on some muddy/slippery ramps that you will fall and bust your *** on.

Trying to keep slalom alive

Need a new prop to fit your needs? Call OJ PROPS 800-359-9730

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipper View Post
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and let people think you are stupid, than to open it and prove it"?
Old 12-18-2006, 11:34 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2008 MasterCraft ProStar 197
Send a message via AIM to erkoehler Send a message via MSN to erkoehler
Check the latest boat bloopers thread...then let me know what you think.
Old 12-19-2006, 08:57 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2005 Prostar 197 / MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridamastercraft
Looking at the new Chevy's and I always had 4wd but now the new limited slip axle they say you don't need 4wd for boat ramps.... the boat ramp I use can be very wet and slippy at times never had a problem before but I always had 4x4 but I have seen some with 2wd have problems.... I have no need for 4wd other than the boat ramp since it doesn't snow in Florida.... but rains alot .... its about 3k difference between 2 and 4wd too.... any one have any new chevy's on a boat ramp yet???
I say..... BOTH yeeeehawwwww
Old 12-19-2006, 09:00 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2005 Prostar 197 / MCX
If memory serves, you automatically get the limited slip rear differential from GM if you get the trailering package.

I need my 4 wheel drive... it's comfortable knowing that I can always go anywhere further into a problem than a 2wd & get more stucker than a 2wd!!