Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 08-03-2015, 10:01 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2014 Prostar
When Wake boats cost $10K What Then?

I was just thinking this weekend, as I made my 20 minute boat ride to get to the smooth water, that every wave monster I pass is less than 10 years old. Due to sheer price, that closes that market to most Americans. Most of the under $15K MCs you see are 15-20+ yrs old, which was before the wake boom. What happens when every T,D & H (Tom, Dick, & Harry) can buy one of these 25 footers and generate 3 foot waves? All I'm saying is that guys that pay $50K+ plus for these boats seem fairly responsible for these wakes. Is anyone else worried about putting them into the hands of entry level boaters? I AM...especially when there are twice as many on the water in 5 years. Our lake with be like the Pacific!
Old 08-03-2015, 10:07 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2011 X25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickwick View Post
I was just thinking this weekend, as I made my 20 minute boat ride to get to the smooth water, that every wave monster I pass is less than 10 years old. Due to sheer price, that closes that market to most Americans. Most of the under $15K MCs you see are 15-20+ yrs old, which was before the wake boom. What happens when every T,D & H (Tom, Dick, & Harry) can buy one of these 25 footers and generate 3 foot waves? All I'm saying is that guys that pay $50K+ plus for these boats seem fairly responsible for these wakes. Is anyone else worried about putting them into the hands of entry level boaters? I AM...especially when there are twice as many on the water in 5 years. Our lake with be like the Pacific!
All depends what lake you're on. A 25 wake boat doesn't put nearly the wake out that a 70 ft yacht does. So yeah, some lakes may see a material difference in chop, whereas others probably won't.
Old 08-03-2015, 10:44 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Mastercraft, Prostar 205, 1996, 3fiddy
Armageddon. Chaos. Cats and dogs...
Old 08-03-2015, 10:46 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2006 20' Vdrive
A 25 foot boat... even a wake boat... isn't really all that big. I feel like some people forget that 30+ foot powerboat and cruisers make wakes too. Really big ones. They're just not shaped as nicely for the watersports aspect. Doesn't mean they don't displace some water, and there's plenty of 30+ foot old boats people drive who have no business doing so. Inboards are still outnumbered to I/O's 10:1 in most places, if not more.
Old 08-03-2015, 10:57 AM
MC Addict

Boat: 2011 X25, 85 S&S
It's those dang wakesurfers!!!!!

/endthread

2011 X25-lots of flake,stereo and ilmor
1985 Stars and Stripes-Ol' glory
Old 08-03-2015, 11:06 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2008 X45 Switch L18
Not sure I understand. There are oodles of 25 foot boats out there already.
Old 08-03-2015, 11:10 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2004 Mastercraft X-Star
I believe he is talking more about the small inland lakes where a 25' boat is the biggest thing on the lake. I live on a small lake and out of the 100 - 125 houses on the lake, there are currently 3 wake boats. 21' wakesetter, 23' wakesetter, and my star. As you said, i can see them becoming more popular as the prices of used go down. I would guess that the Wally's will be lumped in the same group as the tubers and have most of their action during the middle of the day. We already have worked around the tubers and jet skis for years. I dont think it will be that much of a difference. Lets hope I am not wrong.
Old 08-03-2015, 11:10 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1998 MariStar 225VRS
No big difference then today I think. These guys with chaparrals and Bayliners are all trimming the lower units, adding bags and going slow to make larger wakes anyhow.

Besides who am I to judge, my 225 V cost me less than 10k

If it ain't broke just give it to me... it will be.
RIP No1
Old 08-03-2015, 11:11 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2006 20' Vdrive
I think the people who have the issues with the big wake making boats are those who are on small lakes. If you live on a 300 acre lake and there's a single 25 foot boat out there surfing, it pretty much makes it unskiable for anyone else. If you're on a 44,000 acre lake where each cove could essentially be a private lake, then you need AT LEAST a 25 foot boat to run safely in the main channel of that lake. It all depends on the lake you're on as to the size that should be needed. USUALLY smaller lakes tend to have size restrictions to help this. Larger lakes don't, so if you come across someone in a 50-60 foot sea ray in your little stars and stripes, bad things are going to happen. You can blame the guy in the cruiser on an unrestricted lake, or you could blame yourself for being the guy that's trying to navigate the same waters as cruisers that size on an unrestricted lake. Up to you.
Old 08-03-2015, 11:12 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2015 X23 w/giant punkin motor
We have plenty of wakesurfing going on at my lake...... But I can tell you that most of the chop/waves, that stick around, are from all of the larger I/Os that are members of the 12mph club.

6pm-9pm is mostly wakesurfers out on the water. Now, most of them will continue in straight lines, and don't power turn.......most. The waves push straight out and dissipate well. I guess we are pretty lucky in that regard.....

Recently, however, we have had a few new Inboards that find it necessary to tube, and wakeboard, at 6AM. Now the wakeboarding is exciting for me to see....... right up until I see that the boat is zigzagging and power turning. We try to lead by example, but I don't think they get it.