Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 07-28-2011, 01:11 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2003 X30
Differences through the years on a X45?

I'm almost ready to sell my X30 for a X45, I have been pricing new ones while it's doable, I have a hard time with the 125K plus, I have found a couple nice 09's and a 05 that needs a few little things, bit nothing major, the price is real attractable, and it has 8.1 which IMO having 450hp would be a smile getter. My question is what were the differences between the years. What years if any do I want to avoid? Are there better years? What options do I really need vs what I want? Is power steering really needed? My 03 X30'seems fine without.
Thanks
Old 07-28-2011, 01:04 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2008 X45 Switch L18
I can tell you that my X45 with the L18 uses considerably less fuel than my buddies 45 that has the LY6. If I had to do it over again, I'd opt for the 8.1L again, no doubt about it. The grahpics and interior on the '08-09 are a lot nicer than the '05 IMO.
Old 07-28-2011, 01:15 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2006 PS 190 w/ mini tower
The only change other than cosmetics and options, is a change to the step geometry, I dont remember what year that occurred though.
Old 07-28-2011, 01:17 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2008 X45 Switch L18
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIskier View Post
The only change other than cosmetics and options, is a change to the step geometry, I dont remember what year that occurred though.
I'm told that change was in 07.
Old 07-28-2011, 07:31 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Step? I'm letting my ignorance out again.
Old 07-28-2011, 08:51 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2006 PS 190 w/ mini tower
Quote:
Originally Posted by stennes View Post
Step? I'm letting my ignorance out again.
The boat has a transverse step just aft of mid-ships it looks like a cut across the bottom of the boat. This feature reduces the wetted surface area of the hull thus reduces drag, and also move the center of pressure (mass) to facilitate better sea-keeping characteristics. Basically it makes the boat move less water and makes it ride better by reducing the tendency for it to purpose in ruff water. In 2007 they changed the geometry of that step.
Old 07-29-2011, 10:43 AM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
The boat has a transverse step just aft of mid-ships it looks like a cut across the bottom of the boat. This feature reduces the wetted surface area of the hull thus reduces drag, and also move the center of pressure (mass) to facilitate better sea-keeping characteristics. Basically it makes the boat move less water and makes it ride better by reducing the tendency for it to purpose in ruff water. In 2007 they changed the geometry of that step.
So should I loom for a 07 and newer? By the way when did the nav screen screen come out? From what I have been reading it seems to me as a waste of space, as I wouldn't ever activate it anyway. Can you tell me what the pro package is? I have been priceing new boats and it never says what it is, other than it's about 6000.00, I also see they charge over 3000.00 for tower speakers, wouldn't one be better ahead, buying after market? The last two I looked at had the tower camera, damn 2300.00 for something else I wouldn't use.
Thanks
Old 07-29-2011, 11:01 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
Vdig computer screen came out in 08 I believe.
Personally If I was looking used, I'd stay away from the Vdig/BIG screen boats, because I do my own wrenching and the less electronicals, the better for me.
Of course I'm sure I would have said that about the "new" stuff on the 06 model I bought when it was new technology, but by the time I bought, it was relatively proven technology.
In a few more years, maybe all that touch screen stuff will be old proven technology too.
In the meantime, I'd try to snap up a relatively new boat with less new technology, no dash computer screens, no emissions cats, no ballast timers, etc.

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN
Old 07-29-2011, 01:54 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
Vdig computer screen came out in 08 I believe.
Personally If I was looking used, I'd stay away from the Vdig/BIG screen boats, because I do my own wrenching and the less electronicals, the better for me.
Of course I'm sure I would have said that about the "new" stuff on the 06 model I bought when it was new technology, but by the time I bought, it was relatively proven technology.
In a few more years, maybe all that touch screen stuff will be old proven technology too.
In the meantime, I'd try to snap up a relatively new boat with less new technology, no dash computer screens, no emissions cats, no ballast timers, etc.
So basically I'm looking for a 07? By the way what does the pro package consist of?
Old 07-29-2011, 02:06 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2014 X30 with a lightly tickled LS7
Quote:
Originally Posted by stennes View Post
So basically I'm looking for a 07? By the way what does the pro package consist of?
Pro Pack-
ZFT-3 Tower with swivel board racks
Sub+Amp
Vdig on the 08/09 and BIG on the 2010/2011.
and speed controlled volume on the 2011s

I am sure I am forgetting something....