Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 04-13-2015, 09:03 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 1995 Mastercraft Prostar 190 LT1 powerslot
Winterising advice for Australia

Hi guys...While most of you are dusting off your babies ready for another season, our cold weather is fast approaching

Was chasing some advice, particularly from fellow Victorians regarding the need to winterise my '95 PS 190 LT1.

I live in a semi rural area on the outskirts of Melbourne (Yarra Valley), and whilst our winters are no where near what you experience in US/Canada, it's not uncommon to get overnight temps at around 0 to -2C, with the lowest on record being 1 night last winter at -3C (26F).

Is there any need to winterise my boat, or should I just be preparing for the next season with an engine and trans oil change, new impeller, new oil and fuel filters and a new set of plugs?

...Another newbie question. When I used to ski with a mate 25 years ago behind a 350 chev powered Gilflite, he'd dry run the motor for 10 - 20 seconds (revving intermittently) after trailering to expel as much water as possible from the motor. Is this necessary/harmful/advisable for my boat?

Don't want to do anything to harm this sexy beast!!

Thanks in advance.

Cameron
Attached Images

Old 04-13-2015, 05:58 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2012 X7
Send a message via AIM to Tony Webb
I would not do anything, we keep our boat at Eildon and it would get similar temps. I do not start the boat out of the water at all, even to get rid of the water.
Generally late July I do put it in the lake just to give it a run and get everything warm and working.
Starting it in the shed is not good for the impeller.
Just get it serviced in October ready for the season. We now have a new Mastercraft Dealer in Derrimut.
Old 04-13-2015, 06:06 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
The only thing you should really do is drain the block when it sits for long periods of time (weeks) water is electrolytic and like to eat metal - especially aluminum when it's connected to iron. disconnect all the plugs - 2 in manifolds / one on each side of block let it drain - put some anti-seize grease on plugs and put them back... then open the impeller - pull impeller - let that drain out. put the impeller in baggy - order new impeller and gasket - and call it quits.. If you're real got a case of the MCOCD fill the block with RV anti-freeze with corrosion protection - not so much for the antifreeze but the corrosion protection..
Old 04-13-2015, 06:13 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft X2 2009 MCX
At those temperatures I don't think you have to do anything, but it wouldn't hurt to run some antifreeze (for peace of mind). I would also check with my insurance company to see what they expect for winterization - assuming they cover for this type of damage.
Old 04-13-2015, 06:30 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '07 X45 LY6
Do not run the motor out of the water. You will burn the impeller up. I would drain the block and call it good. After the normal oil change and such.

You look like I need a beer!

2001 Prostar 195 Sold

2007 X45 LY6
Old 04-13-2015, 06:34 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2006 20' Vdrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
Do not run the motor out of the water. You will burn the impeller up. I would drain the block and call it good. After the normal oil change and such.
This is what I'd do too. Block/manifolds drained, and rest easy. If your boat has a heater or shower or anything, be sure to blow those lines out also... but past that, you shouldn't have any issues in those temps.
Old 04-13-2015, 07:23 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: '96 Prostar 205 LT-1
Here is the winterization checklist and shopping list that I put together a few years ago. It is as much a annual maintenance/storage checklist as much as winterization. If it is not that cold, you could possibly skip the antifreeze steps... but that would be anti-MCOCD!

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=51183
Old 04-13-2015, 07:24 PM
MC Devotee

pull the four plugs and impeller. With your set up it's super easy.
Old 04-13-2015, 07:30 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 96 ProStar 190 LT1
Open up the drains plugs mentioned and remove the lower impeller hose when you take out for the last time and drive home with them open. Hit a few uphills and downhills...after that, there sould be no need to dry start.
Old 04-14-2015, 06:08 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 1995 Mastercraft Prostar 190 LT1 powerslot
Thanks for all the replies guys...really appreciate it.

The other option is, of course, that I harden up and keep skiing throughout winter - there's really no good excuse not too given our lakes don't freeze up!!