Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 02-05-2017, 09:44 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: MC X30 2008
Need amp suggestions...losing channels

well, I have the JL amp now, and since I'm not near the boat, no idea if it's a 4 or 6 channel. I believe I have 4 speakers inside the boat plus the subwoofer. I have a separate 4 channel wetsounds for the 4 tower speakers. Do I need another 4 channel for the interior?

I had to connect two sets of interior speakers to one set of speaker inputs since one of the channels is dead. I'm sure this is not the best idea but it does seem to work fine. But at some point I'm assuming this will overload the amp. Any thoughts?

and if I go with wetsounds instead of the JL, is it plug and play or will have I have to rewire anything? trying to make this easy.

thanks!
Old 02-05-2017, 09:48 AM
MC Fanatic

well, found this pic...so I'm assuming i have a 6 channel amp now...
Attached Images

Old 02-05-2017, 10:39 AM
MC Fanatic

looking a pictures of both amps, looks plug and play, not like a stereo headunit which oftentimes has proprietary harnesses.
Old 02-05-2017, 11:14 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: pontoon
The JL M600/6 or Wet Sounds HTX-6 will make perfect replacements. In terms of amps, im not sure what your perspective is on plug n play or rewiring. You will have to disconnect all the cables, remove the old amp, bolt up new amp and connect the wires to the new amp in their proper place. The wet Sounds or any other will certainly not have the connections in the same spot, so not all of the original cable will reach. The JL m600/6 may also differ greatly in terminal locations.
Old 02-05-2017, 12:19 PM
MC Fanatic

Thanks and yeah, that seems to be a possible issue. the JL I have now has the speaker connections on the opposite side of the RCA connections. Talking about, what, maybe 8-10 inches from each side. The Wetsounds has all the connections grouped together but on the bottom of the unit, or top, depending on how it's mounted. which could be ok actually since it's a slightly shorter run that way.
Old 02-05-2017, 12:21 PM
MC Fanatic

and I'm a little, or a lot, dumb on using the speakers in parallel or series. not that I need to BUT, just for the sake of asking, when you run them in parallel or series, which I think are different terms for different setups, do you simply plug two sets of speakers into one set of jacks? I'm doing that now out of necessity due to the blown channel. or is there a different way you run the speakers? seems like putting two sets of speakers into one terminal would not be a good idea in the long run...
Old 02-05-2017, 01:49 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2017 XT23 5500
You'd want to run them in parallel, which is likely what you are doing here. You just connect two speaker wires to one amp terminal. You may want to adjust the gains to your liking afterwards.

While this is heavier work for the amp, it's not out of spec. You don't NEED to replace that amp just because the one channel is out.
Old 02-05-2017, 02:22 PM
MC Fanatic

So what I've done is ok then it seems.
Old 02-05-2017, 03:07 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: pontoon
Although its perfectly fine for a typical amp to power two speakers on one chnl, If one chnl is dead, odds are another will follow. You may also begin to get some unwanted noise through that mating chnl as the amp fails.

I would gather that the OEM wiring already has the port side mid and aft wired in parallel with only one pair of leads at the amp. Same for the STBD side mid and aft. So for now, you are ok as long you didnt add 1 or 2 speakers in parallel to a chnl thats already powering 2 speakers.

If in doubt, get a volt ohm meter and measure the speaker circuit with the wires disconnected form the amp. The ohm reading will let you determine if its a single speaker or 2 speakers in parallel or series.
Old 02-05-2017, 03:12 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
Wet Sounds has a 4 channel amp on clearance on their site.