Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 08-13-2014, 11:18 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2014 XStar
2014 Smurf-Star 100HR. UPDATE/REVIEW

Itís better if you know where Iím coming from so that you understand how I form these opinions and report the problems. These are my opinions/problems and if you donít agree I could care less, so first some history. This is my third XStar. Iíve had a 2004 with a MCX and a 2008 40th anniversary with a LY6ÖÖwhich I still miss. We would run full factory tanks, an additional 250lb sack in each rear locker and a 370lb sack in the walk thru. My skill level is intermediate, Iím goofy footed and I donít do inverts (my body doesnít like to have my *** over my head). I can as of lately do the occasional heal and toe 360. I surf Port side, heals in and am dialing in toes in. I rarely surf starboard because Iím the only goofy footed person on the boat and honestly I didnít know I was on the wrong side when we all learned. In the 2014 XStar we normally run 25% tank ballast at 23.3 at 70 feet. I live in Lubbock TX and my dealership, Texas Mastercraft is in Fort Worth TX 380 miles away. Jeff and Todd would see a whole lot more of me if I was closer. I will do this in several posts to include corresponding photos.
Attached Images

Last edited by Davalonth; 08-15-2014 at 02:28 AM.
Old 08-14-2014, 01:02 AM
TT Enthusiast

The Bad:

Let's start with Mechanical:

A. upgrading to the 7.4 requires hydraulic steering. I wasnít sure about it but now I love it. What sucks is for some reason u canít get a tilt wheel on the XStar. Also, if you stick your thumb in between the spokes of the steering wheel and give it a spin...it will twist it off.
Attached Images

Old 08-14-2014, 01:09 AM
TT Enthusiast

The Bad:

B. The windscreen slams open while underway. The spring-loaded latch is beveled and with vibration and the pressure from the wind it works it's way unlatched and slams open. I believe if they removed the bevel, that would fix it. Or maybe a stiffer spring
Attached Images

Old 08-14-2014, 01:15 AM
TT Enthusiast

The Bad:

C. The touchscreen has had some issues. It likes to turn the radio/lights/perfect pass whatever is currently on the screen all the way up, down, on, off, etc. Iíve cleaned it, looked for water and all that BS with no luck. Itís got a mind of it's own. My current solution is to put it on the climate screen that way all it does is turn on and off the seat heaters I donít have

D. The engine compartment fire extinguisher fell off. I heard something banging around while going over rollers so when I got home I lifted the sundeck and it was chilliní behind the engine hanging by the underwater LED light wiring. I carefully unhooked everything so that it wouldnít go off and now I have a cool reminder of that failure on the main screen everyime I turn on the ignition. Also while doing that I found all of this under the engine. You can see some of this "stuff" in the pics
Attached Images

Old 08-14-2014, 01:22 AM
TT Enthusiast

The Bad:

Upholstery:

A. The captainís chair just flat out sucks. Iím building a booster seat to put on top instead of using the fold up bolster that keeps falling down. Other than that, I canít offer a fix.

B. There are a couple things that donít work together. For example you canít get to the trashcan if the center spotter seat is in the up position. Now if you have the main spotters seat open and try to close the center spotters seat. Say u need help getting a board, you tell your mate to go to the bow and open the seat to slide it back. If said mate tries to close the center spotters seat so he doesn't have to jump over.......your gonna rip some vinyl.

C. The blue Vinyl/fabric is not as strong as the standard vinyl. Iím starting to see small spots that are tear, stretch or rip.
Attached Images

Old 08-14-2014, 01:26 AM
TT Enthusiast

The Bad:

This concludes my "BAD" section. I'll start with the good tomorrow....ENJOY!!!
Attached Images

Old 08-14-2014, 08:27 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2014 X46 7.4
My thumb got caught in the Spoke too... Glad it's not just me.
Easy fix.... I stopped putting it there

Your other complaints , are legit.

2014 X46 GEN2 7.4
2014 X30 GEN2 5.7
2006 VRS200 5.7
2013 X30 GEN2 6.2
Think before I post ..."Do I need to say this? Or should I just let someone else complain "
Old 08-14-2014, 08:48 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2016 Nautique G23
Ya, I actually cut a tiny notch in my walk through door, and it stopped that problem. You can't have tilt, with hydraulic, because of the motorized screen. There isn't enough room for the hydraulic steering motor behind the dash.

Somebody tore that vinyl. That cordura type material, that they use, is extremely rugged stuff. One of your passengers sniped that seat, with something sharp, I would guess.

You are right though. It isn't quite as strong as the carbon weave vinyl. Still better than traditional vinyl though.

My screen (On my 13 XStar) was doing the same thing, but only after bad rain storms. If rain blew into the boat, it would act up. I started hiking the boat up higher in the canopy, when I knew it was going to rain, and I never had the problem again. (Not sure if that will help you or not.)
Old 08-14-2014, 09:57 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2014 X46 6.2l
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davalonth View Post
B. The windscreen slams open while underway. The spring-loaded latch is beveled and with vibration and the pressure from the wind it works it's way unlatched and slams open. I believe if they removed the bevel, that would fix it. Or maybe a stiffer spring
Eta: Never-mind

Last edited by Mossyrocks; 08-14-2014 at 11:29 AM.
Old 08-14-2014, 11:09 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1989 Prostar 190 351 Indmar
Send a message via MSN to stuartmcnair
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davalonth View Post
C. The touchscreen has had some issues. It likes to turn the radio/lights/perfect pass whatever is currently on the screen all the way up, down, on, off, etc. Iíve cleaned it, looked for water and all that BS with no luck. Itís got a mind of it's own. My current solution is to put it on the climate screen that way all it does is turn on and off the seat heaters I donít have

D. The engine compartment fire extinguisher fell off. I heard something banging around while going over rollers so when I got home I lifted the sundeck and it was chilliní behind the engine hanging by the underwater LED light wiring. I carefully unhooked everything so that it wouldnít go off and now I have a cool reminder of that failure on the main screen everyime I turn on the ignition. Also while doing that I found all of this under the engine. You can see some of this "stuff" in the pics
Free pins and a dime to go toward your payment...can't ask for more than that.