Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 08-03-2015, 07:44 AM
TT Hero

Boat: 2005 X-STAR & 1995 Prostar 190
95 Prostar questions

Hey guys! I just purchased a 95 Prostar 190 with a friend and it needs a little love.

Tilt helm: bushing missing (plastic) so the steering helm has play and is really sloppy.
Anyone know where to buy this bushing, or should we just get some plastic tubing from Home Depot and make our own bushing?

Fuel Sender: Gas gauge does not work, I assume it needs a sending unit but I will check this out for sure. SkiDim doesn't show the proper parts, any ideas?

Raw water pump: I've read some threads about not worth the trouble rebuilding these because the new ones are improved and push more volume of water, plus not much difference in cost from a rebuild kit to a new pump. I'm pretty sure we'll just buy a whole pump.
Old 08-03-2015, 08:31 AM
MC Addict

Boat: 1988 Prostar 190
If SkiDim doesn't have the bushing you will probably need to make your own. May want to consider just replacing the entire helm for long term durability.

SkiDim has the correct sending unit. Measure the height of your gas tank and then call them. If I am remembering correctly you need a 12" sending unit. It's a pretty easy swap.

What is wrong with the raw water pump? Leaking from the back seal? If it's just the seal it is a cheap and easy fix. If the inside or shaft/bearing is worn then just replace the entire thing.

1997 Prostar 190, TBI 350, 1:1, OJ XMP 13 x 11.5, Stargazer, Hot Shower, Heated Drivers Seat, Reuben/Mountain Rock/Nite Navy

Old 08-03-2015, 09:05 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1990 Prostar 190 Limited 351 Power slot
Send a message via Yahoo to 1990lmtd
Congratulations. I'm sure it will be up to the standards of your last boat soon.
Old 08-03-2015, 09:52 AM
TT Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianM View Post
If SkiDim doesn't have the bushing you will probably need to make your own. May want to consider just replacing the entire helm for long term durability.

SkiDim has the correct sending unit. Measure the height of your gas tank and then call them. If I am remembering correctly you need a 12" sending unit. It's a pretty easy swap.

What is wrong with the raw water pump? Leaking from the back seal? If it's just the seal it is a cheap and easy fix. If the inside or shaft/bearing is worn then just replace the entire thing.
Thanks Brian. Yes pump is leaking from the back seal but since it's 20 years old we're going to just buy the whole pump.
Old 08-03-2015, 11:03 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1997 Prostar 190
If the needle on your gas gauge moves at all when you turn the key to the 'on' position, you may just have some displaced magnets in your sending unit. Here are some threads on the subject:
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...t=sending+unit
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=31039
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=32417
Old 08-03-2015, 01:35 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 1988 Prostar 190
Considering the pretty cheap cost of a new sending unit I wouldn't fool with trying to fix the old one. Not really worth the time and effort IMHO. Put in a new one and don't have to worry about it for another 20 year.

1997 Prostar 190, TBI 350, 1:1, OJ XMP 13 x 11.5, Stargazer, Hot Shower, Heated Drivers Seat, Reuben/Mountain Rock/Nite Navy

Old 08-03-2015, 02:03 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1995 Prostar 190 LT1/Powerslot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseydave View Post

Fuel Sender: Gas gauge does not work, I assume it needs a sending unit but I will check this out for sure. SkiDim doesn't show the proper parts, any ideas? .
Make sure the gauge has power first. My sender was bad, replaced and still did not work. Turns out the power to the fuel gauge was dead as well. Stole power wire from the clock and now it works! Actually like that my fuel gauge is always on when the perko switch on. Gives me a heads up when the boat is about to puke fuel all over me at the pump.

And replace the fuel sender, not worth fixing. The one I got from Skidim was the new type with the float on the outside.
Old 08-03-2015, 08:49 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1995 Mastercraft Prostar 190 LT1 powerslot
Congrats on the purchase - awesome hull!!

PICS!!!!!!!

I recently shipped in a tank sender for my '95 from SkiDim. This is the correct one - exact swap and now works perfectly. No calibration needed. As has been suggested, check gauge first.

http://www.skidim.com/FUEL-SENSOR-ST...nfo/WEMSSL-11/
Old 08-04-2015, 09:34 AM
TT Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussieskier View Post
Congrats on the purchase - awesome hull!!

PICS!!!!!!!

I recently shipped in a tank sender for my '95 from SkiDim. This is the correct one - exact swap and now works perfectly. No calibration needed. As has been suggested, check gauge first.

http://www.skidim.com/FUEL-SENSOR-ST...nfo/WEMSSL-11/
Thanks for the link. I think we had a bad connection at the sender because it seems to be working now. Fingers crossed.

Pics of ours later.......it's pretty disgraceful the way the former owner took care of this boat.