Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Tow Vehicles

Old 12-01-2006, 12:08 PM
MC Addict

Boat: Tubtime Tugboat
Send a message via MSN to bcampbe7
Tow vehicle help...

My 99 Land Rover D2 (114K miles) has a vibration around 75 mph.

I have replaced the tires, wheels, rotoflex (rear driveshaft part) and front driveshaft. Still does it... I haven't had the front driveshaft out in a while, but if I recall, it doesn't vibrate with the front shaft out. But, I was thinking that the vibe may be being amplified by the front driveshaft from somewhere else.

I feel the vibration in the seat as opposed to the steering wheel. It's not bad but it is annoying enough that I either drive at 70mph or 80mph when on the interstate. It rides perfectly smooth at 70 and 80, even 90 but at 75 it has a vibration. I am thinking about taking the rear driveshaft out and seeing if the vibe goes away. Should I consider replacing all of the bushings as well as the motor mounts and trans mounts?

In the words of Larry the Cable Guy "I am more frustrated than an Ethiopian watching a doughnut roll down a hill."
Old 12-01-2006, 12:26 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1997 Prostar 205
Buddy of mine had a new van with a vibration they finally traced to the internals of the tranny. They said there was no fix for it and it fell under the normal tolerances. Still going at 70,000 miles and annoying him everyday
Old 12-01-2006, 12:35 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: What ever floats your.....
Any chance the driveshaft is out of balance???
Old 12-01-2006, 12:41 PM
MC Hero

Boat: Gone
I had a vibration like that once in a car and it was a warped brake rotor and it only showed up at high speeds. Around town up to 60 mph it never showed up.

Quote: 2RLAKE,
At some point in time people need to wake up, remove their cranial intrusion into their own rectal areas, and take responsibility for their own actions.

Old 12-01-2006, 12:46 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
I had some intermitent vibration from old motor mounts on my jeep. Usually, whey there's vibration, I start looking at balancing the tires and throwing money in that general direction.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 12-01-2006, 01:07 PM
MC Addict

Thanks for the replies gents...you too Easty!

I am leaning more towards a driveshaft issue. Could be a balance issue, could be a slightly bent driveshaft.

Here's a scenario...
What if I pull the rear driveshaft and drive it and it doesn't vibrate. Then I put the rear driveshaft back, remove teh front and drive it and find no vibration? What would that mean, a problem in the transfer case?
I am pretty sure that if I remove teh front driveshaft the vibration goes away. I am thinking about removing the rear only and seeing if the vibe goes away.
Old 12-01-2006, 01:27 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 1986 Tristar 220 351 pcm
You may try getting it aligned.
BTW ran across a 95 discovery- lthr, roof rack, brush guard, lift, off road tires, hella lights, but needs work (doesn't say what kind of work) $3500.00 whats your thought?
Old 12-01-2006, 01:32 PM
MC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte72
You may try getting it aligned.
BTW ran across a 95 discovery- lthr, roof rack, brush guard, lift, off road tires, hella lights, but needs work (doesn't say what kind of work) $3500.00 whats your thought?

Walk... No run away!

No, seriously, what kind of work does it need. You should be able to find a '95 D1 that needs no work for around the same price.
Old 12-01-2006, 01:34 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Past: 1994 PS 205 --> Now: Nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcampbe7
What if I pull the rear driveshaft and drive it and it doesn't vibrate. Then I put the rear driveshaft back, remove teh front and drive it and find no vibration? What would that mean, a problem in the transfer case?
It seems if you start removing members or changing the stock configuration for your experiment, you change the system's natural frequency. You might not be alleviating the problem during the test, you just might be changing the point at which it resonates. Maybe that is all you want. I am no expert...just came to mind.

"Magna opera Domini exquisita in omnes voluntates ejus" - James Clerk Maxwell, physics pioneer, 1874
Old 12-01-2006, 01:39 PM
MC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus_Freak
It seems if you start removing members or changing the stock configuration for your experiment, you change the system's natural frequency. You might not be alleviating the problem during the test, you just might be changing the point at which it resonates. Maybe that is all you want. I am no expert...just came to mind.

I know what you are saying.

It could be that the driveshaft is amplifying a vibe from the front diff or something.